Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 08:50 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,157,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeenback View Post

Like I said, Mr. Manderly, you can have it your way and hire someone other than a Real Estate Appraiser. I'll do it the correct way. See how far you get. On the other hand, you can argue the taxes yourself (this is fine -- there is no law saying other wise, and home owners have won their appeals, before -- this is not secret news)

Have a nice evening

The correct way? That comment just goes to show how biased your posts really are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 08:56 PM

553 posts, read 1,027,225 times
In our area nobody would want to hire an appraiser to correct the taxes - all the houses have remodelling done without permit so, the taxes are most likely change for the worse if they invite an appraiser.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:58 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,242,333 times
I have not read the entire thread, but in some places any improvements that do not increase the square footage and do not involve the roof do not require a permit. A new kitchen, or similar update, does not effect the tax value of the home.

Assessed value and market value rarely have anything to do with each other.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:59 PM

290 posts, read 573,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
The correct way? That comment just goes to show how biased your posts really are.
EDIT TO ADD: I will always recommend a Real Estate Appraiser in challenging taxes, because it is best to do so. When someone has legal disputes, it is best to hire a Lawyer, and many Lawyers will suggest it, as it is best to do so.

No sir, this is what you want to think. I may have rubbed you wrong when I first came into this forum, but I am not biased!

When a situation comes up, and it is best to Hire an Independent Real Estate Appraiser, I will recommend it.

When it is best to hire a real estate agent, in my opinion, I will recommend it.

When it is best to hire a Lawyer, in my opinion, I will recommend it.

I practice real estate appraisal, and if I believe an Appraiser is needed, then sir, you can bet your pockets I will recommend it, and I will not Hesitate.

If you have any further questions, I will answer it to the best of my ability, without any bias.

If not, I want to wish you a very, very, nice evening

Old 03-12-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dressy View Post
In our area nobody would want to hire an appraiser to correct the taxes - all the houses have remodelling done without permit so, the taxes are most likely change for the worse if they invite an appraiser.
Value has gone down in many places. But, if you do not want to hire an Appraiser for that reason, that is fine. I have no argument. All I did was make a suggestion.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
I have not read the entire thread, but in some places any improvements that do not increase the square footage and do not involve the roof do not require a permit. A new kitchen, or similar update, does not effect the tax value of the home.

Assessed value and market value rarely have anything to do with each other.
There is a basis of the assessment. And, value (typically), in most states, is the basis. The Assessment is usually calculated on the basis of value.

What Is Property Tax Assessment? | eHow.com

The above is a link shows how ordinary property taxes work. It is interpreted into layman's terms.

Edit to Add: in General, If I owned my home for two years and updated the kitchen, this doesn't mean value is added. In fact, it could mean I lost value. Cost and value have two different meanings.

And, the assessor usually re-assesses every so often; 4, 5, 6, 7, or 8 years, and so on, depending on their rules. Therefore; if my home gains or loses value in 4 years, and they re-asses every 6 years, then my tax assessment won't reflect it in the 4th year.

Last edited by Greeenback; 03-12-2011 at 09:15 PM..

Old 03-12-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
I have not read the entire thread, but in some places any improvements that do not increase the square footage and do not involve the roof do not require a permit.
I agree: some states or counties do not require permits for specific improvements.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Value has gone down in many places. But, if you do not want to hire an Appraiser for that reason, that is fine. I have no argument. All I did was make a suggestion.
I understand. Just wanted you guys to stop arguing. you seem to be nice guys, both of you )))

Old 03-12-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
I agree: some states or counties do not require permits for specific improvements.
Just for the sake of adding the "valuable info" to the thread , but not for the sake of arguing:
finishing attic and basement almost always mean adding a square footage of livable space.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dressy View Post
Just for the sake of adding the "valuable info" to the thread , but not for the sake of arguing:
finishing attic and basement almost always mean adding a square footage of livable space.
Smiling....

You have a nice personality. You know how to "clown."

Believe me, I don't want to argue. I am just supplying some information and suggestions that may be helpful is all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate