Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 09:44 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,922,371 times

Advertisements

I do think a home inspector should have seen insect mud tubes, if the area was accessible. The seller surely saw them when the moved out, so that stikes a mild nerve, an agent would have caught this on the pre-closing walk-thru.......but, as others have said, this may not be an active infestation. You could, if so motivated, call a local real estate office and ask for the names of 3 top termite companies. Orkin and these other national companies are set up to sell you systems and guarantees. Call the recommended for estimates....not the guys with deep pockets to advertise...they hire kids. Most of the local pest companies, the owner or partner is involved in the treatment. Just my personal experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 01:09 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
As a long time Oregon Realtor told you, termites like you apparently have are not common in Oregon like some other places in the southern part of the country. When you have the new inspector come out, have them look to find an infestation that is fresh and find if Termites really exist in your home currently, or possibly the house was treated years ago they were killed out years ago and have not returned as signs appear to be very old ones. This kind of problem may have been solved a long time ago. If they are there, then they can find current infestation signs.

You may only need to periodically check if no infestation can be found, and you may never have to treat for termites. It would be worth paying a termite inspector to do a deep search, and find nothing, rather than let someone talk you into a high priced treatment. Check to see if any termite service uses sniffer dogs to detect termites. They are proving to be very good at finding them, and are called Termite Sniffer Dogs. They are popular in parts of the country.

Old 01-08-2015, 06:04 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,213,226 times
I suggest you just sell for a loss and go rent an apartment..... or you can go get some counseling.

1) Complaining in other thread about significant financial spending in repairs to new home and then revealing that it was a measly $300.00 spent...

2) Borderline stalking and obsessing over the inspector

3) Complaining about a slight slope in floor of a 50 year old home

Seriously man.... take a chill pill and relax.

Old 01-08-2015, 07:02 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,111,535 times
Termite treatment is a price well paid. $800 is very reasonable, especially if it comes with a re-treatment contract. The chemical used will also slow the entry of other household crawling insects.

Old 01-08-2015, 07:03 AM

2,284 posts, read 1,585,059 times
Older homes tend to need minor repairs ( those < $1000) here and there.

Old 01-08-2015, 07:49 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Default To infinity and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
Older homes tend to need minor repairs ( those < $1000) here and there.
And another here and another there and...

Old 01-08-2015, 09:40 AM

129 posts, read 189,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
I suggest you just sell for a loss and go rent an apartment..... or you can go get some counseling.

1) Complaining in other thread about significant financial spending in repairs to new home and then revealing that it was a measly $300.00 spent...

2) Borderline stalking and obsessing over the inspector

3) Complaining about a slight slope in floor of a 50 year old home

Seriously man.... take a chill pill and relax.
Your not wrong. I am probably going to hit my wife with the idea of selling today. I definitely wouldn't have bought with termites.

Old 01-08-2015, 10:22 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarick View Post
So.. I was putting things in the space under the stairs and what do I spy.. termite mud tubes. OH NO.. The inspector didn't see anything. It isn't in his report and I didn't hire a termite inspector because nothing was found that was concerning. So now I have to bring in a termite inspector, but after the fact.
Boy did I hire the wrong inspector.
A termite inspection is completely separate from a structural inspection in many areas. In the 3 areas I've owned houses - in 2 different states - they had absolutely nothing to do with each other. It's up to every single buyer to do their due diligence. No one stops people from doing inspections except themselves. 400 bucks can save you 20 grand later. People don't think about that.

Old 01-08-2015, 10:29 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Hard to think that a termite inspection wouldn't be a part of all house inspections prior to their sale.
Many areas don't have termites. The house I now own is not in a termite area. When I lived in SC every single house within miles had bait stations or they had a problem. The termites love that darn sand! No sand here at all. Lots and lots of water though!

Old 01-08-2015, 11:14 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,213,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarick View Post
Your not wrong. I am probably going to hit my wife with the idea of selling today. I definitely wouldn't have bought with termites.

Let us know how that guys and where you end up sleeping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate