Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 07:07 PM

19,786 posts, read 22,688,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJDAY81445 View Post
what the man needs is a survey done, not legal advice

He must need to know exactly where the property line is before he goes any farther.
My comment assumed the OP was going to exactly what they said they would do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merjolie8 View Post
As mentioned, the back of her house is some 15' - 20' from the property line. So maybe she's mowing so it looks nice from her deck and doesn't have any hidden agenda. But I'm concerned that maybe she thinks it's hers and plans to claim it if I try to enforce the property line, which I'm not sure if she can or not. I don't plan to mention the property line to her until I get a survey done.

If the neighbor has encroached, and you don't want to deal with the confrontation- seek a professionals advice.

Hard to go wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 07:28 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,770,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
One "horror" story from 2007 of owners losing property to neighbor via "adverse possession"

Lawyers awarded property next door - The Denver Post
I hate stories like this, if it were me I would have to pray I didn't do something about it. It's just so unfair and immoral to have someone legally take away part of your land because they claim the used it. I'm sure the couple who stole the land own a large plot in hell too.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:53 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,099,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
I hate stories like this, if it were me I would have to pray I didn't do something about it. It's just so unfair and immoral to have someone legally take away part of your land because they claim the used it. I'm sure the couple who stole the land own a large plot in hell too.
Seeing as how the guy who stole the land was a former Mayor and lawyer, he probably had friends in high places. I hope the real owners appeal. That is so wrong.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:33 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,809,783 times
Case was settled and resulted in a change to the Colorado law.

Probably more good than bad.

And note that a little care by people with million dollar properties of a few thousand square feet is appropriate.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:00 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,632,022 times
I would get it surveyed then put up a fence. That should end the problem.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:45 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,226,257 times
Get the survey

Figure out what is reality

if she is mowing your land and you want her to stop, or she is gardening in your land and you want her to stop, be NEIGHBORLY and have a friendly conversation with her.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:49 AM

14,254 posts, read 14,754,235 times
Approach the neighbor and nicely inform them your are considering have a fence installed so you are going to have the property surveyed to find where the lot lines as you would not want to make a mistake.

Be nice. Be sweet. Do not be confrontational.

Old 05-07-2015, 05:32 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,627,552 times
Well, my neighbor's grandson is doing it again. And even a bigger space this time. But in front of part of what is obviously my very wide landscaped bed. If he wants to eventually mow in front of the entire bed, he'd be mowing to the driveway. So I'm going for contrariness. On a positive note, he saved me some time tomorrow morning mowing. However, I'm putting up stakes tomorrow. Mother's Day weekend or not.

Old 05-07-2015, 05:41 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,099,035 times
Are you having it surveyed first? I would if I were you. No sense in making enemies of neighbors by fighting over land if you don't have the proof to back up your claim. otherwise it's a case of he said/she said.

Or you could just have a friendly conversation asking them why they're mowing your land. Maybe they think they're doing you a favor? Maybe they just don't want to look at an unmowed lawn or maybe they think it belongs to them. At that point, you disagree nicely and tell them you're going to have it surveyed. If it's just the grandson who's mowing your lawn... just talk to him. He probably doesn't even want to mow grandma's lawn let alone yours. He'll stop.

As one poster said above.. don't be confrontational please.

Old 05-07-2015, 05:42 PM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
The burden is on the OP. Pay to survey the property lines. Once you know where the property line is you have several options....be a hard ass and mow down every last green thing the neighbor has planted, put up a fence, or just bask in the knowledge that what they think is theirs, is really yours.
I see no point in making a big issue if this is part of your land that you wouldn't be using anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate