Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 06:51 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Key word is " viable inventory" as I posted above.

If agents and consumers would get over the overemphasis on DOM, it wouldn't be near so worrisome if a house took an extra month to sell.
It's real estate, and we get paid to broker deals to the delight of our clients.

As I noted in my first reply to the OP, OP seems cognizant that they will suffer in either DOM or $$$.
Self-awareness is invaluable, and knowing they have a less than ideal circumstance, they just need to price it right, and have it show-perfect one day a week.
"Price fixes all deficiencies" = "Priced right, ALL inventory is viable."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 07:38 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,637,704 times
Well, I guess the OP is going to respond to all this good advice on Saturday

I sold my Atlanta home thru a realtor. We kept the house pristine at all times and vacated any time someone wanted to see it. Some people came back 2 times, at various days and hours. All was all by appointment only, no walk-ups. It was on the market for 6 months.

I can't imagine how you think that people who are on househunting trips from out town, people who work odd hours and just people in general will be able to fit your schedule. It may take you a very long time to sell your house under your rules.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:08 PM

414 posts, read 296,681 times
The buyers can look through the windows any time they wish. Just leave the blinds up.

As a vampire, I am thinking about suing to force a showing at 3am, lol.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:20 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,456,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryswan View Post
We are contemplating putting our house on the market soon.
We'd like our home to only be shown on Saturday's. �� Yes.
Can someone walk me through how to ask a Realtor to comply to this request?

...let me also say, we understand the reasons it should be available more often, but this one day is it.
Do you mean that you want Saturday-only Open Houses? Or do you mean that there is no other day of the week that anyone can come with their agent to view your house, period?

There's a big difference between those two.

Regarding OPEN HOUSES only....As a prospective buyer, I dislike the practice of only a few hours OPEN HOUSE only on Sunday, so I wouldn't like only a few hours OPEN HOUSE on Saturday, either. I want to go out and wander through as many homes as possible in an area (it will require quite a drive) and would very much like to see some houses open earlier, and certainly longer than just three hours. I do like to see houses on Saturday, too, though and you may get some out-of-towners especially on Saturday before they see other homes on Sunday.

As a seller (not yet), I will not have any OPEN HOUSES whatsoever. I will ensure that the numbers of people walking through the house at one time are strictly limited, unless I have already moved out and my possessions are no longer on site.

Agents won't want you to be there on premise at all, usually, as they are afraid of what sellers might divulge to buyers. In the one case where I sold a property (as executor), the ultimate buyers came during the week with their agent and I was in the house and discussed the property with them. (My agent knew I would not do or say something stupid.) They made an offer on the house through their agent the same evening we met. At that meeting, the people who were present were my listing agent, the buyer's agent and me.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:24 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryswan View Post
We are contemplating putting our house on the market soon.
We'd like our home to only be shown on Saturday's. �� Yes.
Can someone walk me through how to ask a Realtor to comply to this request?

...let me also say, we understand the reasons it should be available more often, but this one day is it.

You tell the realtor that the home is available for showing on Saturday only. If they do not comply find a new realtor.

Old 06-26-2015, 05:00 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I would list it in a heartbeat, and in my market, it would be swamped on a Saturday. We have nearly no viable inventory and plenty of games being played already.

I understand consumers moaning about it. They are 100% self-oriented. So, the moaners don't buy.

I have no idea why agents are moaning about it.
It is dang cheap to list a house. Probably $150 out of pocket, absolute tops, even with an appraiser floor plan. Getting a call off the sign and snagging a buyer or two would more than pay for that "expense."
I would go on to say, if an agent tells a potential client that listing a house is expensive, the client needs to hear not another syllable. That is a clear red flag to move on to an agent with a clue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
You tell the realtor that the home is available for showing on Saturday only. If they do not comply find a new realtor.
Exactly.

It there's a home I like and I'm serious about buying a home, I will figure out a way to be there on Saturday.

If I'm just looking and not real sure of what I want and Saturday isn't convenient for me...

Old 06-26-2015, 05:09 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
We sold a 100 y/o home several years ago. It had been updated, new roof, new furnace, remodeled kitchen, hardwood floors... but it only had one bathroom upstairs. No ensuite, just a bathroom the bedrooms upstairs shared.

I cannot tell you how many times I cleaned that place up for looky-lous who later said that the one bathroom wouldn't work for them, that they needed a bathroom in the master bedroom.

So why the hell did they schedule a showing if this house didn't work? They could see the photos and view the neighborhood, yard, and gardens any time of the night or day. Why tour a house with only one bathroom when they didn't want a house with only one bathroom?

Perhaps they imagined that if they found an otherwise perfect house, they could remodel a bedroom into a bathroom. I'm not sure.

The house sold to a professional couple who loved the location and were fine with one bathroom.

I'm betting they would have shown up on Saturday.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:08 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
You also need to be prepared for many agents to tell you that they don't want your listing. If you're not going to work with me to sell your house, I don't want your house as a listing. I can't sell something I can't show.
Agreed, Falconhead. Why make it difficult for a buyer to buy your house? This is a high dollar sale we're talking about, not a $20 dollar sweater. If they want to see it on Tuesday or Sunday, it's a good idea to let them do that. Not only will many buyers reject your house before viewing, many realtors won't want to represent you because you are proving you aren't flexible even before putting your house on the market.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:32 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
DOM, you say?

Prepare to be gobsmacked. That is a delightful Scottish word that describes the thoroughly disagreeable experience of being smacked by a gob of some foul substance. You are forewarned. If you wish to avoid this experience click on weather radar or something because here it comes:

There are 93,000,000 adults below retirement age in our country who are not working. Many of them cannot make their mortgage payments. They are facing having their homes repossessed or are trying desperately to sell those homes. Some of those homes are very nice, but the sellers are upside down on their mortgages. That means they owe more than the house is worth in this market.

It is so bad that banks are foreclosing on homes. The bank actually owns the house, but the bank is letting the prior owners stay there as long as they keep the house heated. I know of a property that sold recently. The parcel had four homes on it. There was 23 acres. All four homes had views. They were on a town road. That property sold for $26,000. Two years ago it was for sale for about $175,000.

You have to look at some obscure sites to understand the world economy today. In January this year the Baltic Dry Index was the lowest it has been in years. That is the cost to move bulk cargo such as oil, iron ore, wheat, corn, soybeans etc. The cost is low because ship[owners bid for cargo and there is far less demand for goods than there was a few years ago. You can't just park a ship like you can an airplane.

The world economy is circling the drain. The real estate industry joyously reports that the average price of homes sold is up. It's true, but they don't mention that only 25% of the homes listed actually sell anywhere near list price. Those homes that do sell are frequently cash deals paid by people moving to safer areas than where they were. Maine is in good position in that respect because the FBI says that Maine is the safest state.

Want to sell your house? Drop the price. When it gets low enough, somebody will buy it.

You have now been gobsmacked. You were warned. Next time I am forced to deliver bad news, I'll issue a gobsmack alert so you can go watch weird stuff on YouTube or something.

Old 06-26-2015, 10:05 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,429,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
DOM, you say?

Prepare to be gobsmacked. That is a delightful Scottish word that describes the thoroughly disagreeable experience of being smacked by a gob of some foul substance. You are forewarned. If you wish to avoid this experience click on weather radar or something because here it comes:

There are 93,000,000 adults below retirement age in our country who are not working. Many of them cannot make their mortgage payments. They are facing having their homes repossessed or are trying desperately to sell those homes. Some of those homes are very nice, but the sellers are upside down on their mortgages. That means they owe more than the house is worth in this market.

It is so bad that banks are foreclosing on homes. The bank actually owns the house, but the bank is letting the prior owners stay there as long as they keep the house heated. I know of a property that sold recently. The parcel had four homes on it. There was 23 acres. All four homes had views. They were on a town road. That property sold for $26,000. Two years ago it was for sale for about $175,000.

You have to look at some obscure sites to understand the world economy today. In January this year the Baltic Dry Index was the lowest it has been in years. That is the cost to move bulk cargo such as oil, iron ore, wheat, corn, soybeans etc. The cost is low because ship[owners bid for cargo and there is far less demand for goods than there was a few years ago. You can't just park a ship like you can an airplane.

The world economy is circling the drain. The real estate industry joyously reports that the average price of homes sold is up. It's true, but they don't mention that only 25% of the homes listed actually sell anywhere near list price. Those homes that do sell are frequently cash deals paid by people moving to safer areas than where they were. Maine is in good position in that respect because the FBI says that Maine is the safest state.

Want to sell your house? Drop the price. When it gets low enough, somebody will buy it.

You have now been gobsmacked. You were warned. Next time I am forced to deliver bad news, I'll issue a gobsmack alert so you can go watch weird stuff on YouTube or something.
So you are saying Saturday only showings are perfectly acceptable?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate