Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2021, 12:34 PM

14,251 posts, read 14,745,966 times

Advertisements

I recently had my counter tops replaced. I searched, searched, read, read, etc. and I settled on Corian. I am very pleased.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2021, 12:47 PM

9,136 posts, read 6,191,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I recently had my counter tops replaced. I searched, searched, read, read, etc. and I settled on Corian. I am very pleased.
I had Corian in my prior home and loved it. Easy to clean and looked very nice. I went with quartz in the new house. Different price point dictated a different material.

Old 06-28-2021, 09:05 PM

10,309 posts, read 6,847,363 times
Re-did my kitchen with quartz. Looks ok, I guess. Used a remnant to build a seat in the master shower stall. (Re-did a couple baths, too.)

Latest project is 16 feet of panoramic doors, opening to a 53 foot patio that's covered...

Old 06-29-2021, 02:15 AM

425 posts, read 419,281 times
The cost between high grade laminate and quartz is not so much anymore. I suppose laminate still makes sense if you know you're the type of person who gets bored with a kitchen and will re-do it in 5 years, or if you own apartments and want to use the same material in bulk and keep it the same style in each unit.

I ordered Silestone quartz for my kitchen, and it really changes the feel of a small country home to put some nicer surfaces in it.

Old 07-03-2021, 04:42 PM

2,024 posts, read 1,315,375 times
I'm the OP.
We did go with marble countertops as part of our kitchen remodeling and are very happy. We went with polished Carrera marble. We did not go with the supposedly easier to care for honed because it didn't look much better than quartz to my eyes.
It still looks great.
It's been 6 years now, and the only thing that has happened to them is there are a couple of areas that have gotten some etching and haze from where we prepare food clumsily. You cannot see it unless the light is coming from a low angle (like the evening sun coming through the window), or if you sweep it with a flashlight. If it continues at this rate, we may have it re-polished in another 5 years or so.
We have been somewhat careful, though. For example, we don't fill our orange juice or red wine glasses while on the countertop, we go to the table. We wipe up other spilled liquids fairly quickly, except water which is harmless, duh.
Precautions? Not much. We have a couple of large cutting boards we do food prep on, as we always have. When using the frying pan, I set a large cutting board next to the stove so that splatter doesn't get on the countertop.

I almost forgot to mention. No way would we have gone with marble if we still had children at home.
They can be messy and clumsy, and I prefer to not put them in a position to mess up and have drama.

We have lost interest in moving at this time due to the nearby city having bought an ~80 acre plot of land across the street from us that is becoming a nice park with a lake and woodland trails, plus they built an off-street walking trail that goes into the city and the commuter rail station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate