Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 10:07 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,995,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
It IS a worry to me how poorly informed many agents are. I blame very large firms with minimal supervision per agent and fear of scaring away old dog high producers.
So, errors that are inbred are hard to erase.
I agree. We've been trying to address this in my market rather unsuccessfully. My firm offers classes frequently to our 2500 local agents and we get poor turnouts. I'm on the committee for our local Realtors Board for Education and Tech...very poor turnouts to classes offered. This year I'll be chairing it. We'll keep plugging along and if you guys, public or agents, have ideas on how to increase agent education I'd love to hear it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2016, 10:43 AM

15,583 posts, read 40,455,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
I agree. We've been trying to address this in my market rather unsuccessfully. My firm offers classes frequently to our 2500 local agents and we get poor turnouts. I'm on the committee for our local Realtors Board for Education and Tech...very poor turnouts to classes offered. This year I'll be chairing it. We'll keep plugging along and if you guys, public or agents, have ideas on how to increase agent education I'd love to hear it.
You are offering CE and still having low turnout?

Old 01-02-2016, 02:36 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,120,088 times
I have not found that to be true, just looking on amazon alone for most items there will be a list of 20-30 sellers with a wildly different price range.

The only time I have seen an inelastic price is if it is a brand new product that is still under patent or copy right protection which I agree with because often times they need that time to recover the R&D costs. Does not mean I will buy it but I agree with intellectual property protection so long as the actual person who did it holds the patent (which is probably less and less true these days with companies stealing ideas).

I might see that if your buying a niche specialty item that has a limited market. I have also noticed a proliferation of DIY with low cost CNC and 3D printing machines to deal with the widening gap between peoples wages and the cost of finished goods.

Quote:
Commissions are negotiable but I know what I need to run my business so my commissions are set. I offer 3 options and the seller can pick what they want to do. So because a broker or an agent doesn't negotiate commissions it doesn't mean they are in collusion with the other companies.

I bought a widget last week. I looked on EBay, Amazon, Wallyworld.com, and a few other sites and that widget was about the same price everywhere. I bought the widget from a local store that was $5 more than ordering online or Wally World because I do try to support local businesses when all else it equal. Does that mean all those big bad companies were colluding on the price of the widget I bought?

Old 01-04-2016, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
You are offering CE and still having low turnout?
Some are CE...my state has stupid CE requirements so it's difficult to get them approved. Most agents end up the same 2 or 3 classes offered every year right before the deadline.

We have 2 issues. 1 is the long time agents that don't think they need anymore education and the other is he part timer that doesn't have time or desire to come to training because they're working another job, taking care of the kids, or just don't care. They do 1 or 2 deals a year and hang that license on the wall.

Old 01-04-2016, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
I have not found that to be true, just looking on amazon alone for most items there will be a list of 20-30 sellers with a wildly different price range.

The only time I have seen an inelastic price is if it is a brand new product that is still under patent or copy right protection which I agree with because often times they need that time to recover the R&D costs. Does not mean I will buy it but I agree with intellectual property protection so long as the actual person who did it holds the patent (which is probably less and less true these days with companies stealing ideas).

I might see that if your buying a niche specialty item that has a limited market. I have also noticed a proliferation of DIY with low cost CNC and 3D printing machines to deal with the widening gap between peoples wages and the cost of finished goods.
My widget was very specific. When factoring in the S&H I wouldn't have saved anything regardless.

It will be interesting to see what products the 3D printers affect the pricing on. I'd love to see medical supplies cost lowered.

Old 01-04-2016, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Some are CE...my state has stupid CE requirements so it's difficult to get them approved. Most agents end up the same 2 or 3 classes offered every year right before the deadline.

We have 2 issues. 1 is the long time agents that don't think they need anymore education and the other is he part timer that doesn't have time or desire to come to training because they're working another job, taking care of the kids, or just don't care. They do 1 or 2 deals a year and hang that license on the wall.
Ah. Well then yes you will get low turnout BUT those that do are generally the people that are interested in being good agents. Not a bad pool of people to get to know to consider joining your company.

We have 30 hours every two years to do here and the trainings are generally packed. They are in specific topics though and principal brokers can offer training for their own agents.

Old 01-04-2016, 01:39 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,120,088 times
Also the proliferation of CNC machines (X carve for the entry level and Syil for metals through titanium). Entry level machine is 1800 and the syil is only 6500 which can machine titanium and osmium.

So if you are doing a part replacement and the seller is being difficult all you have to be able to do is recreate the part in solid works. People could even make their own NICE jewelry if they were so inclined.

I use them for rapid prototyping of projects I am working on the side.

As the antagonism between buyer and seller widens you will see more DIY to squeeze the sellers. If sellers keep antagonizing people once someone is set up with the machining there is no longer a reason for them to do business with a seller anymore regardless of what the seller does so the sellers may be killing the goose completely if they keep it up. Once people are set up to do their own thing they wont even be looking at the market.

Govt is the only thing that keeps some professions in business as they require certain licensing and bonding etc which the contractors don't miss a beat to use those to fleece others with. If it were not for govt interference a lot of these contractors would have gone under a long time ago because they are not price competitive but the govt forces the use of licensing and bonding.

Quote:
My widget was very specific. When factoring in the S&H I wouldn't have saved anything regardless.

It will be interesting to see what products the 3D printers affect the pricing on. I'd love to see medical supplies cost lowered.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Ah. Well then yes you will get low turnout BUT those that do are generally the people that are interested in being good agents. Not a bad pool of people to get to know to consider joining your company.

We have 30 hours every two years to do here and the trainings are generally packed. They are in specific topics though and principal brokers can offer training for their own agents.
8 hours every 2 years. They haven't generally approved actual useful classes that would improve the agents fundamentals with practical field knowledge or improve professionalism. I would love to have a required 30 hours every 2 years with more flexible CE options.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:31 AM

988 posts, read 1,741,480 times
Quote:
8 hours every 2 years. They haven't generally approved actual useful classes that would improve the agents fundamentals with practical field knowledge or improve professionalism. I would love to have a required 30 hours every 2 years with more flexible CE options.
Wow. Just 8 hours? We have to do 22.5 hours every two years, and I thought that was on the low side. Our classes are similar to yours, in that they haven't changed or added any in well over 10 years, and the classes they do offer aren't useful or relevant to today's market

Old 01-05-2016, 05:13 PM

Quote:
We have to take a rule and law update class every year, and most people take the forms changes one too. Our topics range from septics, wells, water rights, zoning, TRID, loan updates, on and on. They change every year because laws change every year. I go to the land use training every year and never come away disappointed.

You can't learn anything in 8 hours every two years. Too much happens in that time. 30 seems about right every two years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate