Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Furnished and Staged, or Vacant?
I am a consumer, and I prefer to see furnished and staged homes. 34 19.32%
I am a consumer, and I prefer vacant homes. 81 46.02%
I am a consumer, and I don't really care 53 30.11%
I am an agent, and homes should be furnished and staged for market. 1 0.57%
I am an agent, and prefer vacant homes. 3 1.70%
I am an agent, and I don't really care. 4 2.27%
Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 01:38 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,118,288 times

Advertisements

One thing you can say about vacant houses, you know your deal won't be impacted by the current owner needing to move out. Your vacant house is move-in ready!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 02:31 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,990,623 times
Consumer vacant.

That way I can see "warts and all" hidden by furnishings.

Old 03-28-2017, 02:52 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Vacant. That way I can see what I am buying.

Area rugs can cover up floor damage, furniture covers wall damage and covers up a lot of dirt.

Also, vacant, I can go back in when it is convenient for me and not when the agent can get an appointment that is convenient for the sellers.

Vacant, the smells come out when the house is closed up. If someone is living there, they can spray deodorizers every day and the house gets aired out a bit every time the door is opened and closed.

Actually, I am quite happy when the paint and flooring need to be redone because I can negotiate a lower price and get the wall color and flooring that is exactly what I want brand new, without having to pay for their choice of paint or carpet that I am going to remove.

Old 03-28-2017, 02:55 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Adding, if it is nicely staged, people pay for the nice decorating and then don't actually get the decorating because it is moved out before closing.

I suppose you could take photos and recreate the decorating? But it doesn't make sense to me to pay for something that looks nice but isn't included in the price.

I know that buyers will pay for it and I understand why sellers do it.

Old 03-28-2017, 03:48 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,733,435 times
I prefer staged like a model. It lets me see how much room there is AFTER furniture. When it's vacant it's sometimes hard to grasp how much room will be left after furnishings are in place.

Old 03-28-2017, 04:13 PM

12,846 posts, read 9,045,657 times
I'm another who prefers vacant. I don't need to see how others decorate, and frankly I often feel that staged décor actually detracts from the possibilities.

Old 03-28-2017, 04:24 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
If a person is living in the house it's nice to see how they have the house arranged as it will give you a idea of is my big sectional sofa or giant TV going to fit in there?

Empty houses are ok only IF they are fully remodeled or new. A old empty house imo is depressing.

When I go see model homes I understand they are furnished.

Old 03-28-2017, 04:35 PM

741 posts, read 590,301 times
As a buyer I prefer to view vacant homes because I can visualize my furniture in the space easier, and also so I don't feel like I'm invading someone's living space. But vacant/empty isn't a requirement. We wouldn't have bought our last house if I hadn't been able to see past the weird furniture arrangements and oddly colored animal print walls.

When we sold that same house 2 years ago, I decluttered and staged it myself. The walls and furniture were neutral colors and in great shape; our agent was impressed it was show-ready. I haven't yet had the luxury of being able to sell a vacant or professionally staged home.

Old 03-28-2017, 04:45 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,816,495 times
I prefer staged. It makes it very easy for me to make an instant visual assessment of the space, especially in photographs (in regards to size). In person, it wouldn't be as big of a deal if it was vacant or staged.

Old 03-28-2017, 05:17 PM

24,111 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Just what it says.
Furnished and staged, or vacant, or "Who cares?"

For poll purposes, we will assume that the house is clean as a whistle, smells OK, etc.
This is about perception of spaces.

Poll will stay open.

I'm not on the market for a new home, but I don't care. Staging does nothing for me, one way or another. I'm interested in the house, not the furniture and decor.

Vacant homes are the same as staged homes. Paint color, or the presence of wallpaper or paneling to not deter me either.

I just imagine the house empty. I love older, interesting homes. HGTV type staging does nothing for me.
Ultimately, I will be decorating it my way and it will be filled with our things.

Turn offs for me are bad smells, cigarette, pets, urine etc.

I'm neither turned on nor off by a staged house. Or a dated one. Clutter doesn't bother me either. As long as it's empty when I take possession of the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate