Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 03:47 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,436,557 times

Advertisements

Where I grew up, no fences. Not that they weren't allowed, just very few people had them. Where I live now, we are required by our HOA to have a 6" privacy fences. And even in the areas without HOAs pretty much everyone has a privacy fence.

Seems to be regional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2017, 04:18 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,995,719 times
Those selfish owners...shame on them for not putting a fence in for a demanding tenant!

Old 07-16-2017, 04:20 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,517,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Those selfish owners...shame on them for not putting a fence in for a demanding tenant!
I'm not a tenant. Just someone who is passing on renting the property.

Old 07-16-2017, 04:21 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
For those of you that have children, how do you keep tabs on your kids when they are playing out in the "yard?" They could wander off anywhere.
If they are so small that they would wander off, then I would be out there near them anyway. When they were older, they came in and asked permission to leave the yard. But the best days were those when I watched them from the kitchen window run back and forth from yard to yard with their neighbor friends.

Our yard is 1.3 acres. The last 4-foot-tall backyard fence I had quoted (10 years ago) was going to cost me $5K-$6K.

For privacy around your grill/patio area, you can plant strategic evergreens along the property line.

Old 07-16-2017, 04:28 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,056,537 times
I dislike fences. I have owned three different houses in three different states and have never had a fence, nor have I ever wanted a fence.

Old 07-16-2017, 04:31 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,625,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I'm not a tenant. Just someone who is passing on renting the property.
Ok, shame on them for not putting in a fence for a demanding NOT tenant.

Perhaps the area you are considering isn't really for you. If it's just one rental house without a giant fence, rent another. If none of them have one, then obviously it's your wants that are the problem.

Old 07-16-2017, 04:36 PM

8,575 posts, read 12,422,708 times
I'd like to fence my yard--but I'm not ready to shell out the money for over 1/2 mile of fencing. And I have a relatively small yard...but it is big enough for some goats, which would need a good fence. Wandering "kids" of another sort, but it's much harder to talk some sense into them.

Last edited by jackmichigan; 07-16-2017 at 04:45 PM..

Old 07-16-2017, 04:54 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,517,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Ok, shame on them for not putting in a fence for a demanding NOT tenant.

Perhaps the area you are considering isn't really for you. If it's just one rental house without a giant fence, rent another. If none of them have one, then obviously it's your wants that are the problem.
I've been going through listings for weeks now and passing over so many. I refuse to believe that a fence is asking for too much. Don't get me started on garages without garage door openers.

Old 07-16-2017, 05:40 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,147,573 times
It's an East coast/West coast thing.

In many areas of the East Coast (especially less urban areas) homes are on larger lots, like 1/4-1 acre. People never did fences (too costly) so that's just the way it stands. Go toward the West coast (smaller lots) and there are fences.

I cannot stand having no fence! When my kids were little it was great having a swingset and sandbox where I could let them in the yard without having to physically be out there with them all the time. I could keep an eye out through the window. Many people by me have dogs they let out frequently in their yards. I am allergic to dogs and I would hate feeling like I could never enjoy my backyard without threat of a dog jumping on me.

When you have a privacy fence with a gate it also adds another level of security to your home. We live in a new development and I can tell the people who came from areas with no fences as they've opted not to put one in. They are in for a rude awakening. Two have already had some random teens rummaging through their back yards . In areas that have fences not having one is a subconscious invitation. I hate the feeling that anyone can just see the back of your house when driving by. So yes it's a personal thing but once you get used to having a fence it becomes a big deal not having one.

Last edited by Coloradomom22; 07-16-2017 at 06:41 PM..

Old 07-16-2017, 06:39 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,078,098 times
Four pages in and no one has quoted Robert Frost yet?

"Good fences make good neighbors..."

https://www.poets.org/poetsorg/poem/mending-wall
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate