Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2017, 08:53 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,413,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Wow. So touchy. I grew up in an area where every yard was fenced. I find it surprising and frustrating that there aren't more fences in certain areas.

By the way, I grew up in a big East coast city that had sidewalks everywhere. When I moved in my early 20s, I was shocked that there were places without sidewalks.

What seems normal to others is a shock to me. It makes house hunting very difficult.
The only neighborhoods around here that don't have sidewalks are outside the city, although with one area the city had started to surround that neighborhood. The county had them connect to the sewer as well. Some places in that part of the area are getting sidewalks, especially around the retail areas. Makes it look so much nicer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2017, 09:35 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,452,440 times
I love the neighbors who put up "privacy" fences and then they spend all their time in lawn chairs on their driveway cooking out on their grills! I feel like I'm in Mayberry with their nose in my business every time I come and go.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:53 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,497,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I'm not demanding anything. Either you have it or you don't. There will be more listings posted tomorrow.
When you have a thread title like

Put in a $%^& FENCE!!

you come across as demanding that the landlords in your area accede to your demands for a fence.

It also appears that you are having difficulty finding a rental with a fence or at least one that is to your satisfaction. Maybe you are out of sync with what most people want in your area? If everyone, or even most people, want fences, then the market will provide those. If they don't, it won't. We've seen in this discussion that what's considered normal and desirable varies greatly by area, after all.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:08 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,413,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I love the neighbors who put up "privacy" fences and then they spend all their time in lawn chairs on their driveway cooking out on their grills! I feel like I'm in Mayberry with their nose in my business every time I come and go.
Are you talking privacy fence as in not a real fence as some have suggested installing? Around here we all have real fences and prefer to burn meat and other things in the back yard grill or if you have one, the back yard kitchen. I don't know anyone that burns meat in the front yard area. Do people do that kind of thing?

Old 07-18-2017, 10:09 AM

4,314 posts, read 4,017,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texashorselady View Post
when you have a thread title like

put in a $%^& fence!!

you come across as demanding that the landlords in your area accede to your demands for a fence.

It also appears that you are having difficulty finding a rental with a fence or at least one that is to your satisfaction. Maybe you are out of sync with what most people want in your area? If everyone, or even most people, want fences, then the market will provide those. If they don't, it won't. We've seen in this discussion that what's considered normal and desirable varies greatly by area, after all.
bingo !

Old 07-18-2017, 10:49 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,569,432 times
For the most part, I've always had a fence at the houses I've lived in. I never put one in - they all were pre-existing. Usually, they were only 4' chain link. We currently have the back yard fenced in (great when you have a dog). It is also chain link. Some neighbors have 6' privacy fences (some brown lumber some white composite), one has a 6' chain link (they have big dogs) and some have no fencing. It is a hodge podge of styles. We are in a suburb of Baltimore and there is no HOA. Houses were all built from the 1910's to 1980's and are all different styles.

I personally prefer a fenced-in yard but I do not particularly like privacy fences. Our last house and current house both had open space behind them. I like to sit out in the morning on the deck with my coffee and watch the birds, bunnies, and squirrels (sometimes a raccoon and a fox make an appearance).

Old 07-18-2017, 11:11 AM

8,578 posts, read 12,473,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post

Put in a $%^& FENCE!!

I guess that's why she recently had the thread title changed.

Old 07-18-2017, 11:22 AM

6,579 posts, read 8,444,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Someone who is renting out a house to a tenant is probably not going to pay to have a fence put in.
^This. A good fence is expensive to install and then it requires regular maintenance. A wooden fence requires power washing and a water seal being applied on a repeating basis - depending on the climate. A vinyl fence requires less maintenance with just needing a good power washing every so often.

For an investment property, it's an additional expense and hassle with no advantages for the LL.

Old 07-18-2017, 12:32 PM

4,314 posts, read 4,017,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post

Put in a $%^& FENCE!!

Anyone notice the title of this thread just got changed in the last hour ?

Old 07-18-2017, 12:36 PM

11,581 posts, read 6,768,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
Anyone notice the title of this thread just got changed in the last hour ?

LOL! A landlord is not going to put in a fence as he will not get that money back as an investment. OP, when you can worry if there's a fence as that will be a cost savings to you when you decide to buy. Most rental homes probably won't have fences. That's a perk of homeownership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate