Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2017, 01:19 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,316,069 times

Advertisements

I don't need a fence where I am because I'm well in the boonies and surrounded by woods, but if I were in town I would most certainly want one--and yes, at least 10 ft maybe even 12 ft. I don't want people peeping at what I'm doing and I'd like knowing that my pets and children were well confined in and other people's kept out.

And why do they have to be so expensive? It's ridiculous what they cost. Fencing in, say, a half acre lot shouldn't be more than $600-800 or so in my book, and I'm speaking of 12 ft high privacy fences too. $7000 or so? What are they made out of, gold?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 02:32 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,059,903 times
Default Robert Frost misinterpreted again ...

Wish people would stop misquoting/misinterpreting Robert Frost's poem. See https://www.theatlantic.com/entertai...t-frost/57248/ . The poem itself: Frost, Mending Wall .

At my last house (which is now a rental), the first tenants put up a fence (at their expense) because they wanted to get a dog and I wasn't willing to pay for a fence for them when I knew the house could easily be rented without one (very few fences in that neighborhood, even though the lots are relatively small).

At my current house the lot is 1.29 acres, about 50-60% of which is my back yard. It would cost a fortune to put in a fence around the whole thing, but it's not really necessary anyway. There are trees all around the perimeter, making a kind of "natural" fence/privacy barrier. It's beautiful and peaceful. I think a fence would look out of place.

I would think that kind of "barrier" would work well in most situations, no? (unless one has a dog that goes out unsupervised, or a pool) Even without a "real" fence, my only "intruders" are deer, red fox, and the occasional wild turkey!

Old 07-19-2017, 06:34 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,387,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
I guess that's why she recently had the thread title changed.
Yeah, she did that after my post - I copied and pasted the name of the post directly from the top of the thread.

Old 07-19-2017, 06:42 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,387,627 times
Originally Posted by charlygal
Wow. So touchy. I grew up in an area where every yard was fenced. I find it surprising and frustrating that there aren't more fences in certain areas.

By the way, I grew up in a big East coast city that had sidewalks everywhere. When I moved in my early 20s, I was shocked that there were places without sidewalks.

What seems normal to others is a shock to me. It makes house hunting very difficult.

This is indicative of a certain kind of attitude. There are people who, when they move from one state to another, think that it is just WRONG that things are not exactly the way they were where they came from and that everyone who is already in their new location should change to suit them because, obviously, what they are used to must be better because it's familiar. Citiots who move to the country have a similar attitude when they start complaining and trying to get ordinances passed that require sidewalks in the country, that make the farmers not start working so early, that want the farms to get rid of their animals because they make noise, smell, and copulate in public with no regard for onlookers. And Heavens, there's HUNTING! Can't have that!

When you move, you should engage and explore and enjoy the differences, not be shocked because it's not just like where you came from and think that everyone should change to reflect that. Otherwise, why move at all?

Old 07-19-2017, 08:12 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,993,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I don't need a fence where I am because I'm well in the boonies and surrounded by woods, but if I were in town I would most certainly want one--and yes, at least 10 ft maybe even 12 ft. I don't want people peeping at what I'm doing and I'd like knowing that my pets and children were well confined in and other people's kept out.

And why do they have to be so expensive? It's ridiculous what they cost. Fencing in, say, a half acre lot shouldn't be more than $600-800 or so in my book, and I'm speaking of 12 ft high privacy fences too. $7000 or so? What are they made out of, gold?
( 1st paragraph ).........."but if I were in town"..........."at least 10ft maybe even 12 ft"

What makes you think that you would be allowed to put up a 10-12ft privacy fence in town ?

I live in a small town and a 6ft fence is maximum.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:16 AM

45,336 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
( 1st paragraph ).........."but if I were in town"..........."at least 10ft maybe even 12 ft"

What makes you think that you would be allowed to put up a 10-12ft privacy fence in town ?

I live in a small town and a 6ft fence is maximum.
And that's probably in the back yard and can't come past the house in the front, where the maximum height is likely around 40 inches.

If you would put a 12 foot fence in, make sure you have intersecting fields of fire, reinforced blockhouses on the corners, boiling oil and poles to push away the scaling ladders.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:51 AM

922 posts, read 1,110,920 times
We have an 8-foot, solid redwood fence that surrounds our property and we LOVE IT. The previous owner had it installed 2 years before we moved in and it still looks brand-new. It was honestly one of the main reasons we wanted the house, as we'd dealt with nosy neighbors before and wanted ultimate privacy. We also have a pool and sometimes Mommy and Daddy like to use it...alone....LOL. We can do whatever we want knowing we have privacy and that is priceless to us.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:54 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,494,990 times
I have a six foot privacy fence
My next project is installing green giants
Because there is no height limit on those

Old 07-19-2017, 12:12 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,200,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Right now, I'm looking for a house to rent. Eventually, I will be looking to buy a house.

Can someone tell me what's the deal with houses not having fences or fenced in yards? Am I the only one that appreciates privacy and boundaries?

By the way, I mean real, 6-10 foot privacy fences. Not 4 ft high 2 bar fences (this isn't the country).

So what's the problem with putting in a fence?
You tell me and we'll both know. Good fences make good neighbors - a time honored rule. I won't give a second look at ANY house sitting in a "public-looking" green. Whatever for? But then again, I'm somebody who never accepted this living cooped up in a house thing. Which I think, today, a lot of people don't mind. Frankly, they should just live in a crib apartment. It wouldn't make any difference.

Old 07-19-2017, 12:25 PM

8,166 posts, read 6,918,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
A "polite" fence to keep pets and young ones in the yard is fine. Anything over 6ft looks tacky and mainly installed by insecure people.

LOL.

Said by the guy who probably likes to spy on his neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate