Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 12:29 PM

8,181 posts, read 6,933,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrie143 View Post
We have an 8-foot, solid redwood fence that surrounds our property and we LOVE IT. The previous owner had it installed 2 years before we moved in and it still looks brand-new. It was honestly one of the main reasons we wanted the house, as we'd dealt with nosy neighbors before and wanted ultimate privacy. We also have a pool and sometimes Mommy and Daddy like to use it...alone....LOL. We can do whatever we want knowing we have privacy and that is priceless to us.
Nice!
I'm with you. Our backyard is a fortress. I love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 12:32 PM

8,181 posts, read 6,933,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
I have a six foot privacy fence
My next project is installing green giants
Because there is no height limit on those
My neighbor has cherry laurels all along the back of his yard. Those things are huge and so dense. You cannot see a single thing through them. They're pretty cool. You might want to take a look at those.

Old 07-19-2017, 01:47 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,493,788 times
LOL a tall privacy fence offers no privacy from above. A person on the second floor of a house (whether they want to or not) can easily see what's going on in a yard even with a privacy fence. Keep that in mind when you want to go skinny dipping with your husband or mow the grass naked.

Old 07-19-2017, 01:53 PM

8,575 posts, read 12,422,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
LOL a tall privacy fence offers no privacy from above. A person on the second floor of a house (whether they want to or not) can easily see what's going on in a yard even with a privacy fence. Keep that in mind when you want to go skinny dipping with your husband or mow the grass naked.
Not to mention drones which are becoming ubiquitous.

Old 07-19-2017, 01:58 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,743,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrie143 View Post
We have an 8-foot, solid redwood fence that surrounds our property and we LOVE IT. The previous owner had it installed 2 years before we moved in and it still looks brand-new. It was honestly one of the main reasons we wanted the house, as we'd dealt with nosy neighbors before and wanted ultimate privacy. We also have a pool and sometimes Mommy and Daddy like to use it...alone....LOL. We can do whatever we want knowing we have privacy and that is priceless to us.

Lots of homeowners like fences for privacy. That's not the debate here. The OP is mad that she can't find a "RENTAL" home with a fence! For an investor it makes no sense for them to spend thousands of dollars on a fence for a rental property. You most likely won't get more rental income by installing one. However, the OP doesn't get that and thinks all homes should have fences whether they are rental properties or owner occupied.

Old 07-19-2017, 02:33 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,805,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Lots of homeowners like fences for privacy. That's not the debate here. The OP is mad that she can't find a "RENTAL" home with a fence! For an investor it makes no sense for them to spend thousands of dollars on a fence for a rental property. You most likely won't get more rental income by installing one. However, the OP doesn't get that and thinks all homes should have fences whether they are rental properties or owner occupied.
I know! This thread has gone on way too long - first of all she is looking for a RENTAL (there is a rental thread) - and she is complaining about the fact that her exact specifications aren't available.

Old 07-19-2017, 02:43 PM

3,503 posts, read 2,667,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I built my fence so that even a second floor neighbor can’t see my pool. Here in Texas most homes have a privacy fence in the backyard by the alley. The cost for a nice cedar fence is usually between $6K and $8K. This is my fence.

Old 07-19-2017, 03:54 PM

8,575 posts, read 12,422,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
I built my fence so that even a second floor neighbor can’t see my pool. Here in Texas most homes have a privacy fence in the backyard by the alley. The cost for a nice cedar fence is usually between $6K and $8K. This is my fence.
Wow--talk about ugly. I'm sure glad that I'm not your neighbor!

But since you seem to like it, to each their own.

HEY--Maybe you can rent to the OP!

Old 07-19-2017, 04:16 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,500,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
My neighbor has cherry laurels all along the back of his yard. Those things are huge and so dense. You cannot see a single thing through them. They're pretty cool. You might want to take a look at those.
Thanks, I will!

Old 07-19-2017, 04:20 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,493,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
Sorry, dude, that sure is U-G-L-Y. I live in Texas and have a privacy fence, but let me tell you, you'd have to construct the Berlin wall to stop people from seeing into your yard from higher stories or second story decks.
We had a second story deck that was probably thirty odd feet above. And JackMichigan is right, there are now drones you have to deal with. I like privacy, sure, but I'm also realistic. I'd much prefer landscaping for privacy vs. ugly wood fencing that only serves as pee-posts for pets and food for insects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate