Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 05:04 PM

11,581 posts, read 6,762,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
I built my fence so that even a second floor neighbor can’t see my pool. Here in Texas most homes have a privacy fence in the backyard by the alley. The cost for a nice cedar fence is usually between $6K and $8K. This is my fence.
Actually, it could cost a whole lot more than $8k! Depends on the size of the lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 06:17 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,747,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
LOL a tall privacy fence offers no privacy from above. A person on the second floor of a house (whether they want to or not) can easily see what's going on in a yard even with a privacy fence. Keep that in mind when you want to go skinny dipping with your husband or mow the grass naked.
My first house, a ranch, was in a subdivision in the piedmont region of NC. Hilly. My neighbor behind me had a fenced in yard- standard 6 foot wooden privacy fence. I could see in all of their windows because my house set so much higher, lol.

Old 07-19-2017, 06:37 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,508,365 times
Obviously if there are two story houses around you people can see in

Besides the dog, for me, it's about blocking out what *I* see, not what the neighbors see.

Old 07-19-2017, 07:37 PM

8,183 posts, read 6,954,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
LOL a tall privacy fence offers no privacy from above. A person on the second floor of a house (whether they want to or not) can easily see what's going on in a yard even with a privacy fence. Keep that in mind when you want to go skinny dipping with your husband or mow the grass naked.

Well, I think most people would figure that out as they're staring up at their neighbor's windows.. lol.
None of my neighbors have 2 story houses.
Privacy galore.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:03 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,330,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
( 1st paragraph ).........."but if I were in town"..........."at least 10ft maybe even 12 ft"

What makes you think that you would be allowed to put up a 10-12ft privacy fence in town ?

I live in a small town and a 6ft fence is maximum.
Well to the degree that the city thinks it's any of their business how tall MY fence is in MY yard, that law needs to be changed and those who would vote for such laws need to be given Samsung Galaxy Note 7 phones to use frankly.

And drones? Bang, bang if it's too low to the ground. Why would anyone have a need to fly a drone in my yard anyway? What's the point? To poke their nose into my business? Well we deal with that sort of thing in ways that put an end to it, the law be darned much of the time and so be it.

Go ahead, tell me "stay in the country," that's certainly my plan, I was just saying that if I lived in the city I would certainly WANT a tall fence for privacy.

Old 07-20-2017, 12:55 AM

11,024 posts, read 7,873,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Well to the degree that the city thinks it's any of their business how tall MY fence is in MY yard, that law needs to be changed and those who would vote for such laws need to be given Samsung Galaxy Note 7 phones to use frankly.

And drones? Bang, bang if it's too low to the ground. Why would anyone have a need to fly a drone in my yard anyway? What's the point? To poke their nose into my business? Well we deal with that sort of thing in ways that put an end to it, the law be darned much of the time and so be it.

Go ahead, tell me "stay in the country," that's certainly my plan, I was just saying that if I lived in the city I would certainly WANT a tall fence for privacy.
Anarchy!

Old 07-20-2017, 12:56 AM

11,024 posts, read 7,873,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Not to mention drones which are becoming ubiquitous.
Seriously? I have never seen a drone in action. Where do you see them constantly?

Old 07-20-2017, 02:31 AM

3,525 posts, read 2,687,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Wow--talk about ugly. I'm sure glad that I'm not your neighbor!

But since you seem to like it, to each their own.

HEY--Maybe you can rent to the OP!
It has nothing to do with me being your neighbor or not, every house has a pool, and every house has a fence much like this one. You realize we have alleyways all along our backyards. Currently housing in this area starts at $400K. The best part, my side of the fence is not so bad.

Old 07-20-2017, 03:08 AM

8,577 posts, read 12,462,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
It has nothing to do with me being your neighbor or not, every house has a pool, and every house has a fence much like this one. You realize we have alleyways all along our backyards. Currently housing in this area starts at $400K. The best part, my side of the fence is not so bad.
Yes, your side is definitely better than the neighbor's view.

Old 07-20-2017, 07:14 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,534,784 times
I have a pool and don't need such an ugly fence. From the other side especially it's a detractor imo and does little to impede the view from a second story. I guess that's a new development or something
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate