Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 01:29 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,319,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Substitute children for dogs in your rant and see how many people sympathize with you.

DH and I are surrounded by parents of small children and if the weather's nice outside, we hear kids playing. Screaming, sometimes. Technically, that's noise pollution too.

What kind of ogre would I be if I charged up to a child playing in their own yard and told them to shut up?

Seriously, don't ever move next door to me. I can't stand people like you. Nothing personal. It's just your rotten attitude and what it represents.
Please tell me you did not just compare a child to a dog. PLEASE do not tell me you just did that. Does someone REALLY have to explain this to you? Okay, here goes--children are people, and people are more important than a dog. (I realize some people think of their dogs as their "babies," well lets just say that some people "think" Adolf Hitler was a wonderful person, same doo-doo different mental disorder.) A dog being compelled to be quiet or stay inside, and the compromises that will entail, is NOTHING compared to telling a child they have to stay inside or "ssssh" themselves OUTDOORS and never enjoy any playtime. They offer anti-bark collars and debarking surgery to a dog, and not to a human, for this very obvious reason.

This is a human's world, dogs only live in it, compared to us they are NOTHING and IRRELEVANT. I will "suffer" the noise of a child playing, knowing this means the child is having a happy childhood, 80,329 times before I will suffer ANYTHING on behalf of a stupid freaking DOG. I am NOT going to tell my child they have to walk around on eggshells all summer long in the middle of the day, that's ridiculous, whereas in the unlikely event my dog goes to making noise I will QUICKLY tell him to knock it off or be prepared to wear a collar with a rechargeable battery affixed to it.

And what the heck is a DH anyway, a dead horse? Have keyboards become extinct or something?

Last edited by shyguylh; 08-24-2017 at 01:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 01:57 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
sump pump

big mess of overgrown landscape especially w expensive to cut half dead trees

low light exposure
Actually I have seen houses with a messy yard sell at a discount easily enough to pay landscapers to fix the mess. Or fix it yourself and keep the money.

For me at least, something I can fix, something I can get a good firm fixed price bid from a contractor to fix, is by definition not a deal breaker. Now if the price does not reflect the condition, I'm not buying, but I don't consider that property to be "radioactive", just overpriced.

I'm not a big fan of a place that needs a sump pump to avoid flooding out, either. But, hey, I'm an engineer, I can set up a backup sump pump that runs on batteries, whatever, if the price is right and the property is otherwise desirable.

Old 08-24-2017, 05:38 PM

23,541 posts, read 24,041,250 times
1/ Surrounding homes/area dilapidated.
2/ High HOA fees.
3/ High crime area.

Old 08-24-2017, 06:24 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,559,658 times
Backyard is 100% pool. I'd rather not the pool at all if I'm giving up any green space.

Bathtub sized pools

Weird master bedroom configurations with tubs literally in the middle of the master outside of a bathroom area.

Old 08-24-2017, 06:59 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Oh I'm with you totally, the owners are the true culprits, it's just that the legal ramifications of taking your frustrations out of them tend to be higher. They're high enough even in a dog's case to dissuade me from doing anything. The real point I'm making is this--when you're suffering from such noise exposure, all and I mean ALL you care about is one thing, making it stop, and RIGHT NOW. Other than the prospect of jail, that is truly ALL you care about at such a time and nothing else.

A couple of other things.

Treeless lots. Someone mentioned that. I sort of agree HOWEVER there is this other thing--I want a yard to be pretty much maintenance free. I have better things to do with my time than spending my precious weekend hours working in the yard. I DESPISE such work. Thus, the easier a yard is to work on, the better. Growing up, we had trees that "shedded" a lot and my parents were obsessed about such things and you were CONSTANTLY having to pick up pine cones and rake leaves. Me--as a grownup having my own yard now, I let that stuff just be. Same goes with grass, it can't grow quickly, I shouldn't have to mow more than once every 2 months or so, seriously. Grass that has to be mowed every week, forget it. I want a yard for space but without the "grunt work."
Here in AZ there's a special Sheriffs unit specifically for animal abuse and locking up for a loooong time those that abuse animals.
I fully believe (here) you'd have a better chance of walking away unscathed if you went after the owners...

Old 08-24-2017, 07:14 PM

1,803 posts, read 1,241,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Please tell me you did not just compare a child to a dog. PLEASE do not tell me you just did that. Does someone REALLY have to explain this to you? Okay, here goes--children are people, and people are more important than a dog. (I realize some people think of their dogs as their "babies," well lets just say that some people "think" Adolf Hitler was a wonderful person, same doo-doo different mental disorder.) A dog being compelled to be quiet or stay inside, and the compromises that will entail, is NOTHING compared to telling a child they have to stay inside or "ssssh" themselves OUTDOORS and never enjoy any playtime. They offer anti-bark collars and debarking surgery to a dog, and not to a human, for this very obvious reason.

This is a human's world, dogs only live in it, compared to us they are NOTHING and IRRELEVANT. I will "suffer" the noise of a child playing, knowing this means the child is having a happy childhood, 80,329 times before I will suffer ANYTHING on behalf of a stupid freaking DOG. I am NOT going to tell my child they have to walk around on eggshells all summer long in the middle of the day, that's ridiculous, whereas in the unlikely event my dog goes to making noise I will QUICKLY tell him to knock it off or be prepared to wear a collar with a rechargeable battery affixed to it.

And what the heck is a DH anyway, a dead horse? Have keyboards become extinct or something?
What an ******* you are. Every kid I look at, and probably yours, I immediately think they have a 50% chance of being a productive citizen vs a druggie/criminal... i.e., a total burden on society. Sorry, no dog is capable of burdening society like a rotten person.

Old 08-24-2017, 07:42 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
DH and I are surrounded by parents of small children and if the weather's nice outside, we hear kids playing. Screaming, sometimes. Technically, that's noise pollution too.
I like having children around but we once had a kid in the neighborhood who was a true shrieker. I've never heard anyone, young or old, who could make noise like that. My home office was a good 600 feet away but he was so loud I could hear his every scream, even with the windows closed and the AC running. And he screamed a lot. It was amazing.

Fortunately they moved away after a year or so.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:14 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
No parking
No garage
Two story

Old 08-24-2017, 10:17 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,607,055 times
My top 3 deal breakers when I was house hunting two years ago were:

1: bad back yard (yard had to be at least 1/4 acre with mature trees)

2: wet basement (never again!)

3: evidence of iffy neighbors (cars parked on the street, too many plastic toys in the yard, above ground pool, general dirtiness, and etc.)

Anything interior can be updated, and even the exterior can be remodeled, but you can't change a bad neighborhood or foundation problems or a teeny property.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:25 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,319,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabound1 View Post
What an ******* you are. Every kid I look at, and probably yours, I immediately think they have a 50% chance of being a productive citizen vs a druggie/criminal... i.e., a total burden on society. Sorry, no dog is capable of burdening society like a rotten person.
It doesn't matter, a dog is a dog a person is a person.

However I will agree with the person who mentioned the shrieker. Normal playful noise even some screaming shouting etc is ok, but that super high pitched shrieking? Yes, if a child of mine did that I think I'd tell him or her to knock it off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate