Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2018, 07:09 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
A rough proposal was made probably a couple of years ago in a similar thread. I understand what you've said all along about your "rewards" but that is still not responsive to my question.
So, I have presented and you have not.

Got it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 07:13 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
So, I have presented and you have not.

Got it.
No, it seems you still don't get it. I made a proposal a couple of years ago but I am not in the real estate business. I asked this time for anyone in the business who had an idea of how this could be accomplished to propose a plan. None have responded to the question but there have been a dozen or more postings indicating that the status quo, with all its flaws, is good enough for them. So be it.

Old 01-30-2018, 07:31 AM

Quote:
No, it seems you still don't get it. I made a proposal a couple of years ago but I am not in the real estate business. I asked this time for anyone in the business who had an idea of how this could be accomplished to propose a plan. None have responded to the question but there have been a dozen or more postings indicating that the status quo, with all its flaws, is good enough for them. So be it.
LOL
I absolutely and completely get it.
The question you asked was: "Where is the agent...?"
I said, " I dunno." Good answer, and definitely NOT supporting any status quo.

And, for bonus enlightenment, I gave you a clear blueprint how any professional agent can prosper by getting better prices for clients, albeit within the "flawed" concepts of integrity and the notion that working within the status quo and great results from great service are not mutually exclusive.
How can this possibly be confusing to anyone who has read the thread?

Can you not even recall basic details of the proposal you say you posted at some point in the past so you can share?
It may be a good discussion starter, rather than playing hide and seek with rhetoric.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 01-30-2018 at 07:52 AM..

Old 01-30-2018, 07:53 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,988,738 times
Quote:
I remember your proposal but not the details. The quality of the job the agent does is not defined by your sales price. The agent cannot control the sales price. That is determined by what the buyer will pay and seller will accept. Therefore your idea is a poor one as it does not reward an agent for their actual performance on the transaction.

Old 01-30-2018, 07:56 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,988,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
I would never say you are greedy , I don't know you, and this is the internet!
But, many real estates agents are only after commission and your money. I experienced this first hand at a new community subdivision with the sales agents. They care nothing about you once they get that contract signed and get their money. I just don't like them. Rather deal with a used car salesman!
Oh, well there you have it. Onsite agents are there to sell the builder product. They compare more in job definition to a car salesman as opposed to a general sales agent representing a buyer which is more of an advocate and consultant for a client. The onsite agent in no way, shape, or form represent the buyers interest. If you judge all agents by onsite agents that explains much and also defines your lack of experience in real estate.

Old 01-30-2018, 08:27 AM

And, here we go:

//www.city-data.com/forum/38949106-post46.html

That is Post 46 in this thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/real-...pensation.html

Glad to help!

Old 01-30-2018, 09:25 AM

6,472 posts, read 6,679,753 times
I don't see how a buyer's agent is actually in much of a position to negotiate the final price. For example, a stubborn seller, convinced his house is worth every penny of listing price, isn't going to end up giving a buyer a great deal regardless of who the agent is. The buyer's agent doesn't ever even speak directly to the seller, so even the best negotiating skill in the world could get completely lost in translation/personality by the seller's agent to the seller anyway.

Ultimately the agreed upon price is determined by buyer and seller. So these ongoing posts about agents being compensated for negotiating a better price seem silly to me.

Old 01-30-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I don't see how a buyer's agent is actually in much of a position to negotiate the final price. For example, a stubborn seller, convinced his house is worth every penny of listing price, isn't going to end up giving a buyer a great deal regardless of who the agent is. The buyer's agent doesn't ever even speak directly to the seller, so even the best negotiating skill in the world could get completely lost in translation/personality by the seller's agent to the seller anyway.

Ultimately the agreed upon price is determined by buyer and seller. So these ongoing posts about agents being compensated for negotiating a better price seem silly to me.
Well, actually, in some respects, it really is not unlike a poker game.

An experienced player may see "tells" that lead to confidence in their position.
One of the skills is reading when to "raise," and when to "call," and when to "fold."

That skill isn't exactly "negotiation," but it sure helps successful negotiations.

Old 01-30-2018, 10:01 AM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,734 times
Me personally, I think realtors are a huge ripoff. Whether or not they can make a living isn't my problem, I could care less as I view it as a joke of a profession to begin with, similar to used car salesmen.

When I do sell, it'll be FSBO without question. There are plenty of ways regular owners can advertise their property, take professional photos, etc. at a fraction of the commission fees they'd otherwise be dealing with. As mentioned earlier, all you really need is a good real estate attorney to consult with.

The only time I could think using a realtor would make sense is if:

-there was an immediate, serious need to sell right away (job transfer, serious illness, etc.)

-it was in a remote area without a lot of prospective buyers

-there were issues with the neighborhood like poor schools, blight, crime, etc. making it difficult to sell

If you have a desirable property in a desirable area, IMO you are a fool to part with such ridiculous money so easily.

Old 01-30-2018, 10:02 AM

6,472 posts, read 6,679,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Well, actually, in some respects, it really is not unlike a poker game.

An experienced player may see "tells" that lead to confidence in their position.
One of the skills is reading when to "raise," and when to "call," and when to "fold."

That skill isn't exactly "negotiation," but it sure helps successful negotiations.
I think you're saying that a successful agent reads signs that a seller will come down "x" amount (although since that agent doesn't interact with the seller, I'm not sure how this is done, unless the selling agent is leaking info that should be confidential).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate