Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 01:13 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,245,731 times

Advertisements

I moved here about 20 years ago, fresh out of a divorce, on my own, looking for a little spot to call my own. I was looking for maybe a mobile on a nice size piece of property. I was shown a lot of places from a realtor I was using that had been recommended to me. After looking at several properties, I came to the conclusion that I just couldnt afford what I was being shown, and instead would look for just raw land and work from the ground up, so to speak. I told my agent this. Next time we looked at properties, she was showing me raw land, the price of the properties were just about the same as the properties with mobile homes. I just about gave up, and nearly went back. I decided to go look on my own, found the most gorgeous piece of property, saw it and bought it within the hour of seeing it. The price was less than half of what my agent was showing me. And the totally ironic thing about this whole deal, is that the agent lives not more than a quarter mile from this piece of property. She had to drive by it, and the great big "For Sale" sign, every time she left her home. She still lives down the road, and I still live here, and to this day we havent spoken a word. Never forgave her for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2018, 01:13 PM

11,833 posts, read 34,462,681 times
It is likely that the wants and needs exceed the pricepoint. In that case, something will need to change. What about a CHFA 2nd? It might increase your purchase price range without increasing your payment.

Disclosure: I am licensed in the same state, not in the same market.

Old 06-07-2018, 01:29 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,798,324 times
I have the same issue, but with car dealers. I don't WANT to pay $20K for a car I'll be struggling to pay for. I would rather have that $6K vehicle that's in the back...

Old 06-07-2018, 02:10 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,094,029 times
Had an agent.

Was very specific about what I was looking for. MUST be single story.

Guy showed me every house in the area. It was wonderfully informative, but not particularly helpful in buying a house.

Bought a house through another realtor in a single day.

Sorry buddy; you HAVE to listen.

Old 06-07-2018, 02:53 PM

3,151 posts, read 2,267,024 times
When I’ve looked at houses I insisted on not being shown any homes above my stated max price unless the agent was reasonably certain the price could be negotiated down to my max. Try to show me a house that doesn’t tick off the majority of my very specific musts and wants and I find a new realtor. Simple as that.

Old 06-07-2018, 03:33 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,989,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
By the way .... I didn't realize that Zillow wouldn't let you filter by garages. That would seem to be pretty important. And none of the "big 3" have "first floor master" as a filter. That's odd too.

I could really use an "RV garage" filter, but no...

Old 06-07-2018, 04:22 PM

17,717 posts, read 29,863,438 times
When we bought our first house in 1977, we had a max list price of $60K.
We told our agent that.
She showed us a house for $63K with: "you can probably get it for under 60".
I said: "Don't do that again".
She did not and we bought a house (https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...,-MA-01776_rb/), with her help, for $52.5K.
We used her services when we sold the house in 1985.

If I were buying today, I would write my "immediate termination conditions" into the agreement.
One of them would be: uttering the words unique or spacious is a firing offense.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:27 PM

12,867 posts, read 9,089,277 times
Part of your problem is "Colorado Springs" and "under $200,000" are pretty much mutually exclusive. When we moved into the Springs in 1990, we had that exact conversation with our realtor, except of course the price was much lower. It took a long time and we settled for a total fixer upper (and this was at the height of the repo crash in the Springs, so there were a lot of repos that had been trashed as the owner's final revenge on the mortgage company).

Given your parameters you might either look more around Calhan or perhaps one of those modular homes on 5 acre mini ranches out east of Falcon.

Or do like we did and move to rural Tennessee.

Old 06-07-2018, 10:01 PM

14,534 posts, read 12,171,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
uttering the words unique or spacious is a firing offense.

Quirky!

Old 06-07-2018, 10:32 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,924,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post

Why are realtors and lenders so eager to push people into houses that they know damn well they'll end up upside down in or foreclosed on when one party inevitably loses a job or gets sick or whatever.

The higher the price, the higher the commission.
Loans are assets to a lender. The bigger the loan, the bigger the asset.

It's up to the buyer to control what he/she is buying and not get led around by the nose into something they can't afford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate