Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2021, 10:50 AM

1,848 posts, read 3,727,639 times

Advertisements

We are planning a move in the next few years. Still undecided as to location (Winter Park FL, Sarasota FL, Asheville NC, Colorado Springs)

We plan on taking trips to the various areas over the next year, starting in Winter Park and Sarasota in April.

We have moved multiple times and bought and/or built homes in a variety of states. But we always knew we were definitely moving to that particular area before we procured a realtor. We are military so our moves have never been truly our choice. Our last move was our choice and we choose right for getting the kid through school, but now it feels wrong. We built our dream house, etc, but just don't like the vibe of the town for retirement. It will be the standard against what we will measure any new neighborhood/town. If we can't do better, we won't move.

Would a realtor work with us if we just want to be shown areas and not particular houses? We are more interested in the surroundings, neighborhood vibe etc, as we can remodel etc if we find the perfect neighborhood.

We would like to be perfectly honest with any realtor, rather than pretending to buy or whatever people do. Would the timeline of a couple years and the fact that there will be zero chance of a deal that day or in the near future make it tough to get a good realtor?

We are looking at spending up to 1.2M for the perfect place. Hopefully a lot less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2021, 11:06 AM

14,486 posts, read 12,114,400 times
You know - if we weren't busy at the time, we'd really try to accommodate you and give you a good afternoon tour. You might find someone in your areas that would be willing to put in that much! Particularly if you promise lunch.

Old 03-03-2021, 11:08 AM

6,480 posts, read 10,350,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post

Would a realtor work with us if we just want to be shown areas and not particular houses? We are more interested in the surroundings, neighborhood vibe etc, as we can remodel etc if we find the perfect neighborhood.
Don't forget that Realtors cannot "steer" their clients to or away from certain neighborhoods based on protected classes and shouldn't be requested to do so. They can suggest homes/properties based on non-protected demographics instead (suburban, rural, urban for example).

Old 03-03-2021, 12:50 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Don't forget that Realtors cannot "steer" their clients to or away from certain neighborhoods based on protected classes and shouldn't be requested to do so. They can suggest homes/properties based on non-protected demographics instead (suburban, rural, urban for example).
I don't think that is what the OP is asking. All neighborhoods have a vibe. Some are stripped down with no trees, some are all one stories, some have lush landscaping and a nestled feel. Some have neighborhood block parties and July 4th parades, etc. Some are like cemeteries where no one ever leaves their homes. Those vibes have nothing to do with protected classes, but the interaction of the people within the neighborhoods. I live in a really active neighborhood where kids are out and about playing, riding bikes, people walking with or without dogs, everyone waves and chats as we are out and about, etc. I love it, but not everyone wants that.

I personally believe that my buyers are happier, buying into a neighborhood they like because of the vibe, then finding the right house within that neighborhood. It isn't about discrimination at all.

Old 03-03-2021, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I don't think that is what the OP is asking. All neighborhoods have a vibe. Some are stripped down with no trees, some are all one stories, some have lush landscaping and a nestled feel. Some have neighborhood block parties and July 4th parades, etc. Some are like cemeteries where no one ever leaves their homes. Those vibes have nothing to do with protected classes, but the interaction of the people within the neighborhoods. I live in a really active neighborhood where kids are out and about playing, riding bikes, people walking with or without dogs, everyone waves and chats as we are out and about, etc. I love it, but not everyone wants that.

I personally believe that my buyers are happier, buying into a neighborhood they like because of the vibe, then finding the right house within that neighborhood. It isn't about discrimination at all.
Bingo! That is exactly the sort of information we are looking for. As mentioned, we have bought many homes, so are well aware of the laws etc. We are also capable of researching schools, crimes statistics etc. on our own.

I also realize how realtors are paid and their time is valuable. I have been lucky with two moves to actually have friends or friends of friends in the business, so I was sort of given that sort of tour. But I was there to purchase. The last move was back to my hometown, so not needed. This next move is to unknown areas.

I could very easily pretend to be ready to buy but I respect the profession and their time.

Old 03-03-2021, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
You know - if we weren't busy at the time, we'd really try to accommodate you and give you a good afternoon tour. You might find someone in your areas that would be willing to put in that much! Particularly if you promise lunch.
We have always offered lunch! Except for the last purchase which was a new build, she said it was the easiest deal ever, she bought us lunch! I then used her to sell two rental properties I owned, and she will sell this one for me. I haven't asked her about how she feels about helping someone in my situation...yet. Because then she would know we are considering moving and it's a small town, and I don't want to deal with the whys...not yet.

Our biggest fear about this move is that it's the 1st one where we won't have work or schools to connect and make friends with, so the neighborhood is extra important.

Old 03-03-2021, 01:44 PM

14,486 posts, read 12,114,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
We have always offered lunch! Except for the last purchase which was a new build, she said it was the easiest deal ever, she bought us lunch!

Right... Usually, we buy lunch when we're meeting new clients, but under the circumstances this time, it might be a nice gesture to offer since you're not likely to be buying soon and may not choose their area. It's all yet to be decided.

This is a pretty good opportunity for some road miles for a fairly new agent who knows the area real well, but isn't too busy yet.

Old 03-03-2021, 02:57 PM

3,608 posts, read 7,922,824 times
Since you are going to be there anyway- use the internet, drive by some listed houses that seem suitable, go to a few open houses if there are any, and visit any builder's models.

THEN take a tour with the agent.

Of course, give the agent's name when you do any house visits on your own.

Old 03-03-2021, 11:07 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,456,509 times
So what is the vibe you seek?

Old 03-03-2021, 11:12 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,523,760 times
Go on nextdoor app/city data forums for various areas you are interested in, and see what the vibe is like.Why don't you go stay in an area you like for a few days and drive around. Talk to people you see out, and ask them what they like/don't like about their neighborhood, and what areas to avoid. Get some opinions.
Do it for several locations you are considering.
Most realtors are swamped right now and it would be wasting their time if you don't even have a state, much less a city picked out.
I'd be happy to show prospects homes in various parts of the city, but not if they don't even know if they want to move to my state...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate