Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2021, 03:48 PM

21,937 posts, read 9,508,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
That's great for buyers in your area, not so much here.

Since our median price got up to $1.2 million, homes in that range are taking a little longer, 2-3 weeks. but even so, the median sell price is more, $1.4 million. Anything in the $800-900k range is still selling in 2-3 days with multiple offers over asking, and overall sales are still averaging 12.11% over asking.
Where I live, the last house on the market just sold yesterday. I thought a bunch of houses would come on the market at the end of the year and so far, the only difference has been how fast they sell. They are going in 0-5 days on average.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2021, 03:51 PM

21,937 posts, read 9,508,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
You can't get an objective opinion from someone whose best interest is for you to buy to make money. People have short memories, this offering over list price, waiving inspections, writing letters to get sellers to accept your offer was all seen before before the last housing crash we had. This only sets the stage for the next crash, smart people will wait this out and buy after this market also crashes.
Obviously, this market is unsustainable but I disagree about how soon the crash is coming. What people like yourself are missing is that this isn't anything like what happened before. People are leaving big cities because they can. People don't want to return to downtown Chicago to work. Companies are cutting back their leased space by well over 50%. My husband's company asked how many employees wanted to come back live and only 7% said yes. That's out of about 10k people. So imagine the impact on the city and multiply that by the number of major companies in a big city. The game has changed and it's not ever going to be the same.

Old 05-27-2021, 06:49 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,347,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Obviously, this market is unsustainable but I disagree about how soon the crash is coming. What people like yourself are missing is that this isn't anything like what happened before. People are leaving big cities because they can. People don't want to return to downtown Chicago to work. Companies are cutting back their leased space by well over 50%. My husband's company asked how many employees wanted to come back live and only 7% said yes. That's out of about 10k people. So imagine the impact on the city and multiply that by the number of major companies in a big city. The game has changed and it's not ever going to be the same.
Aren’t a lot of cities seeing the same hot market though?

Old 05-27-2021, 07:10 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,458,616 times
Quote:
More important than what the employees want is what the customers of a business want and will tolerate.
Customers of financial institutions are foolish if they go along with business practices such as work from home which make it far more difficult (and far more expensive) for a business to protect customers' data privacy.

Old 05-29-2021, 12:05 AM

1,066 posts, read 892,612 times
Quote:
I think the permanence of the is yet to be seen. Several companies in this area have told employees to return to the office or take pay cuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate