Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2021, 01:29 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times

Advertisements

These are guests. Period.
No contract need be made. Since zero mutual exchange is being done. Clearly they aren't paying rent or providing a service in return for tenancy.

Your insurer will be able to provide some guidelines on guest liability.

Footnote: beyond a 30 day stay , then yes get something in writing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2021, 01:37 PM

106,673 posts, read 108,856,202 times
I let a step brother stay with us many years ago who got a job with the post office in nyc while living in florida .

He was an ex druggie but was clean so we let him stay with us until he got an apartment and his first pay check

Well turns out he was still using drugs so after two weeks I told him to leave .

He ended up stealing a lot of stuff while we weren’t home .

Our insurer said he was considered a household member and covered as an insured the same as anyone else under our policy

They refused to cover the claim since they said an insured can’t steal from the house and then another insured puts a claim in

Old 05-18-2021, 06:26 PM

10,309 posts, read 6,842,111 times
Yup, drugs would/could explain IT.

Last edited by NORTY FLATZ; 05-18-2021 at 07:42 PM.. Reason: Fixed it.

Old 05-18-2021, 06:56 PM

6,456 posts, read 3,980,997 times
First off-- I'm sorry for the loss of your brother.

Everyone else has some good points, OP-- what would be the benefit for them in moving states, etc.? Do they want to ultimately live where you live, or do they want to stay in (return to) FL (as someone else said, might be a bit difficult to make the move twice, especially if they're looking for work in FL and would be giving your NC address on a job application?)? What is their plan for moving "up and out" of your house? On what time frame? If they're not self-sufficient in that time, is there another family member who could/would take them in? Have you talked with them to set "house rules" and figure out things like who will contribute what, who will do what chores, how you will handle conflict, how you'll handle noise and going out late (or staying up late/getting up early) and having people over, what in the house is theirs to use and on what terms ("I don't mind if you use the treadmill, but please clean it when you're done, and I use it every day between 5 and 6"), etc.? Why are they facing eviction and what is their financial situation-- were they unemployed and your brother was the only one working? Did he have life insurance? Do they have a lot of debt that took his assets? What happens if you need them out and they still can't afford to live on their own?

Old 05-18-2021, 07:11 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr78609 View Post
Recently my brother died from the virus. He lived in Florida. Because his wife and grown child face eviction and other serious money issues we invited them to come and stay with us. This has got to be only a short visit because of my own health reasons. Question is could I have a legal problem in several months if I ask them to move out . We live in NC. Do I need a signed agreement ? We are trying to be very nice right now and dont want to hurt her feelings , but I dont want any "legal issues" telling me later who can live or not live in my house. thanks
Is this a house you own or are you a renter?

Old 05-18-2021, 09:10 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,362,412 times
There is no good outcome for this mess.

Consider your options and let them stay in FL.

Old 05-19-2021, 06:21 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,961 times
One book I've seen recommended many times is "Boundaries"- it helps people deal with needy friends and relatives while minimizing damage to their own loves and finances.

I'm also reminded of an interview I just heard with Michele Singletary, who writes the syndicated "The Color of Money" column. I've always liked her common-sense advice. She and her husband have money in their budget to help people but they always want to work with them and make sure they have a plan and that it's not a permanent dependency. An Aunt wanted help because she couldn't pay her mortgage. She sat down with her, looked over her income and expenses and told her the mortgage was unsustainable and she should sell her house. The Aunt found a government-backed program that let her refinance at easier repayment terms.

Maybe the OP could work with them to make a plan for them to get jobs, apply for social programs, etc. rather than take them in. I agree with the others- they're unlikely to want to leave if they're comfortable.

Old 05-19-2021, 06:38 AM

6,456 posts, read 3,980,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I agree with the others- they're unlikely to want to leave if they're comfortable.
Or, unlikely to be able to leave if they're not self-supporting, even if they want to. I have a friend who took in an acquaintance after her fiance suddenly dumped her and said "be out of my house by the end of the week." It was supposed to just be until she found another place. A few months later, my friend was slowly realizing the acquaintance couldn't afford to move out on her own... couldn't afford rent all by herself.

Old 05-19-2021, 07:04 AM

3,024 posts, read 2,240,321 times
I am having trouble processing "short visit" and "several months."

Having had people live with us for 1) one month, 2) 3 months free then increasing monthly rent (ended up being 6 months), 3) indefinitely (ended up being waaaaay too long and painful and hella annoying but she did move out, at the most inconvenient time, of course) 4) indefinitely (MIL... we are her permanent address for the forseeable future):

You need to set all expectations clearly at the beginning. Time limits, contributions (financially and around the house), ground rules (cleanliness, chores, groceries, quiet hours, regular roommate stuff), etc. to limit the stress, complications, and potential damage.

I am very sorry for the loss of your brother. You are a kind and generous person to be offering this to his family.

Old 05-19-2021, 07:33 AM

9,860 posts, read 7,736,569 times
OP, so sorry about your brother.

My question is why would she want to live with you, the brother in law, instead of her own family?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate