Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2021, 08:13 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,797,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I tire of smart stuff. I pine for the days of mechanical thermostats without batteries. Push the little pointer or turn the dial. Warmer, Cooler. Perfect.

And, as others have said, "No. That thermostat will not increase value at all."
At my old house I ditched the mechanical thermostat for a smart thermo thingie, which increased the value of my house. Only thing was, it came with a new gas heating system to replace the oil burner.

The old thermostat was easier to use; just push the little pointer around to control the temperature as you said. No digital settings to deal with. I liked it better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2021, 08:21 AM

6,484 posts, read 10,357,154 times
The thermostat question is like asking if an electronic toilet paper dispenser adds value to a home. It might for the right person, but likely only a tiny fraction of 1% of potential buyers.

Old 07-03-2021, 08:21 AM

9,141 posts, read 6,196,866 times
I like my Honeywell smart thermostat. It is exceptionally useful when I am travelling. I can monitor the house temperatures to ensure everything is working well.

I also adjust the temperature before I get home so the house is nicely cooled when I arrive.

Also, it rewards laziness. The thermostat is in the hall, some distance from my bedroom (house is single zone). If I feel particularly warm or cold in bed, I can use my phone and the app to adjust the temperature without getting up. Ultimate laziness, but appreciated once I am in bed.

Old 07-03-2021, 08:50 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times
In other news, painting your house number on the curb will not increase home value, either.

It's trivial. Maybe even a negative. In a recent week of hot weather in Texas, a lot of people complained that their ACs were cycled off or reset higher. Those devices are not very popular here at the moment.

Old 07-03-2021, 09:06 AM

43,308 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
In other news, painting your house number on the curb will not increase home value, either.

It's trivial. Maybe even a negative. In a recent week of hot weather in Texas, a lot of people complained that their ACs were cycled off or reset higher. Those devices are not very popular here at the moment.

Isn't the AC setting a function of the power grid?
We have an option here to allow the power company to manage demand by twiddling the settings during peak times. I'm OK with it at the office where they installed a smart themostat. Agreeing to it saves a few bucks, whether the settings are ever changed.

Old 07-03-2021, 09:16 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Isn't the AC setting a function of the power grid?
We have an option here to allow the power company to manage demand by twiddling the settings during peak times. I'm OK with it at the office where they installed a smart themostat. Agreeing to it saves a few bucks, whether the settings are ever changed.

That's exactly what I am talking about. And lots of people sign up for these things when the weather is nice (and the offers make it sound unlikely to happen or result in discomfort) then the first time they find themselves uncomfortably warm on a hot day because the power grid operator took control of their thermostat they decide the paltry savings isn't worth the loss of control. They begin to realize if they can raise it to 80 they can raise it to 86 and if they can cycle it off 2 hours they can cycle it off 48 hours. This is Texas where the corrupt grid bungled the freeze and left millions without power for a week. There is no love lost and the mention of ERCOT still gets people riled up. No one is keen on "trusting" them to manage their thermostat. Whether or not this public contempt leads to meaningful reform remains to be seen.

Old 07-03-2021, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
That's exactly what I am talking about. And lots of people sign up for these things when the weather is nice (and the offers make it sound unlikely to happen or result in discomfort) then the first time they find themselves uncomfortably warm on a hot day because the power grid operator took control of their thermostat they decide the paltry savings isn't worth the loss of control. They begin to realize if they can raise it to 80 they can raise it to 86 and if they can cycle it off 2 hours they can cycle it off 48 hours. This is Texas where the corrupt grid bungled the freeze and left millions without power for a week. There is no love lost and the mention of ERCOT still gets people riled up. No one is keen on "trusting" them to manage their thermostat. Whether or not this public contempt leads to meaningful reform remains to be seen.

Got it.
Most smart thermostats I see are just in-house with no power grid connection. I think that is what most posters are talking about.

Yeah. You folks had a real mess. And it is far from over, isn't it?

Old 07-03-2021, 11:15 AM

17,587 posts, read 13,367,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA2SGF View Post
I'm not a fan, others are. I'd suggest asking your realtor, who would know more than I do about what buyers in your area want.

I was thrilled when my new Trane HVAC system came with a very simple thermostat. It isn't even programmable, but has giant LED numbers that are easy to see, and a button to raise or lower the temperature. That's all I want in a thermostat.

Same here. I do not want a smart home.

Too many opportunities for someone to hack into my home Internet due to vulnerabilities of each device, even if password protected

While I'm at it. Make sure your Amazon Sidewalk is turned off because of hacking vulnerabilities. https://www.wired.com/story/turn-off-amazon-sidewalk/

Old 07-03-2021, 11:19 AM
KCZ

4,677 posts, read 3,671,743 times
TBH, at this time I wouldn't buy a house with smart thermostats, appliances, and security equipment. Too much of this stuff is buggy and wasn't ready for prime time when it was marketed. I've got a robot vacuum and smart HEPA air purifiers that I can't control because their software sucks and they won't stay connected to my home network or phone. I don't want to spend hours every week getting this stuff to work as designed. Not to mention the "smart" feature adds $50-100 to the purchase price of the appliance, and there are privacy issues as mentioned above.

Old 07-03-2021, 11:36 AM

Yet.... Despite my earlier input, I am nursing a hankering to have one of these babies:

https://www.husqvarna.com/us/robotic...utomower-315x/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate