Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2021, 05:37 PM

41,967 posts, read 75,229,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
However, will it do anything to increase home value if we ever decide to sell in the future?
LMAO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
I really doubt the OP was serious in making this topic.
The OP is a marketer's dream, obsessively brand conscious and attaching great value to trivial home items such as faucets and drains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
We replaced our original1956 thermostat before listing. I'm pretty sure that sold our house, despite the 1978 furnace.
*snicker*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2021, 05:42 PM

24,590 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Neither your thermostats not your faucets will make a difference. Every time we bought a used house - first order of the day new toilet seats.

Old 07-05-2021, 09:53 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,344,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
They may make the buyer run for the hills.
https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/18/2...mperature-heat
This requires an opt-in (not opt-out) by the customer. If the customer didn't opt-in to the program, then utilities cannot access it.

Old 07-05-2021, 10:53 PM

10,311 posts, read 6,852,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Neither your thermostats not your faucets will make a difference. Every time we bought a used house - first order of the day new toilet seats.
LOL, yup, me too!

Just put a Toto toilet in the master. Damn seat is too hot, but it's great in the Winter (such as it is.)

The heated water stream is something to get used to, tho.

Old 07-06-2021, 07:20 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
This requires an opt-in (not opt-out) by the customer. If the customer didn't opt-in to the program, then utilities cannot access it.

For the moment.

Old 07-06-2021, 07:23 AM

9,423 posts, read 11,176,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I tire of smart stuff. I pine for the days of mechanical thermostats without batteries. Push the little pointer or turn the dial. Warmer, Cooler. Perfect.

And, as others have said, "No. That thermostat will not increase value at all."
They still sell those rounds. Those are my favorites. I would NOT have a "smart" thermostat. It allows someone outside to control the settings. How is that smart?

Old 07-06-2021, 07:25 AM

43,309 posts, read 77,154,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
They still sell those rounds. Those are my favorites. I would NOT have a "smart" thermostat. It allows someone outside to control the settings. How is that smart?
Welll... We have "Somewhat Enlightened" thermostats.

Programmable, but no wifi. Still, a pain in the butt when the batteries croak.

Old 07-06-2021, 08:13 AM

6,484 posts, read 10,357,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Still, a pain in the butt when the batteries croak.
Not like you have to call someone to service/replace the batteries. Very tiny inconvenience, but some will still complain.

Old 07-06-2021, 08:41 AM

43,309 posts, read 77,154,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Not like you have to call someone to service/replace the batteries. Very tiny inconvenience, but some will still complain.
It's not the overriding factor. I just see little point in even the programmables.

Old 07-06-2021, 08:56 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,332,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
I wonder if you can get tough operated faucets any more? I say that as I was shopping for a new kitchen faucet a month ago due to new countertops being installed in my kitchen, and I saw nothing in the way of touch operated faucets in the big box home improvement stores.

I'm sure they're out there, but they appear to have fallen out of favor.

And no, a programmable thermostat, smart house stuff, etc., adds no value in my book. I've got one myself for energy savings, but unless the one in the house was a model/brand I would use, it would get removed and replaced with one of my choice.

RM
I have touch operated faucets throughout my house. You touch the faucet on its handle with a couple pounds force, and the handle turns and the water comes on. When you want the water to turn off, you touch the faucet on its handle in the opposite direction with a couple pounds of force, and the handle turns and the water turns off.

Remarkable!

As to smart thermostats, I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer and yet I know I'm smart enough to turn the thing down when I'm hot, and turn it up when I'm cold; and when I leave the house in winter I turn it down for the day, etc.; and if I come home on a winter's day and it's cold, I put on a sweater till the house heats up.

Same thing with rain-sensing windshield wipers on my car. I am generally able to figure out that I can't see out because of rain, and when that happens I turn on the wipers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate