Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2021, 12:00 PM

10,363 posts, read 6,918,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I just bought a Honeywell 9585 Color Smart Thermostat for our living room and plan to buy another either this Black Friday or next year for my bedroom zone.

I initially bought it because I thought our old Honeywell VisionPRO 8000 thermostat was bad, but turns out the AC system needed a new damper, coil, and refrigerant.

However, will it do anything to increase home value if we ever decide to sell in the future? We have three thermostats in our house, the other two being a Honeywell T5 touchscreen programmable thermostat (not the smart version) and another VisionPRO 8000. The second 9585 Color Smart Thermostat will replace the T5. I think one key advantage the 9585 has over the VisionPRO 8000 besides a color screen is that it can connect directly to Wi-Fi, while the VisionPRO 8000 requires an add-on RedLINK hub to add Wi-Fi capability.
Awesome! You got wifi too. I'll be parked outside your place on my laptop, using your wifi, to crack your "smart" thermostat. So, don't be surprised when you come home from work and your HEATER IS "ON." (I set it for you!) 100F is ok?

Wait until January, we'll see how cold your A/C (recently repaired) gets, too! 35F is ok?

Now, think it's a good idea to relinquish your environmental control to an ahole like me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2021, 12:22 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,680,822 times
Oh if I ever sold my house my Nests are coming with me.

Old 07-03-2021, 12:24 PM
KCZ

4,688 posts, read 3,691,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Yet.... Despite my earlier input, I am nursing a hankering to have one of these babies:

https://www.husqvarna.com/us/robotic...utomower-315x/

Looks good until you see it's dependent on running boundary wires around your property, buildings, trees, shrubbery, etc, and a charging station that they think is OK to leave outside in the rain (they plugged it into an unprotected outlet in the video). It has a "working capacity" of .4 acre, but it would take 22 hours to actually mow that, and it only runs 70 mins before it has to recharged. Another smart device that's not ready for prime time, unless you have a tiny, flat, regularly-shaped lawn with no obstacles, and you could probably mow it for a summer in less time than it takes to set that up.

Old 07-03-2021, 03:55 PM

23,411 posts, read 19,031,037 times
Hilarious! Nickel & dime stuff.

Old 07-03-2021, 09:47 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,264,326 times
No. Just like shower heads and faucets and whatever other things you continue to ask about. None of these small changes have anything to do with home values. It's possible a potential buyer might be happy to see smart thermostats or whatever, but they are not putting any extra numbers on the offer because of them.

Old 07-03-2021, 10:12 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,865,358 times
I really doubt the OP was serious in making this topic. He appears to have a penchant for posting similar ridiculous topics about things like touch operated faucets and loads than up with brand names and model numbers as if someone actually cared.

On the other hand...

Old 07-04-2021, 10:18 AM

5,982 posts, read 7,413,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
I really doubt the OP was serious in making this topic. He appears to have a penchant for posting similar ridiculous topics about things like touch operated faucets and loads than up with brand names and model numbers as if someone actually cared.

On the other hand...
I wonder if you can get tough operated faucets any more? I say that as I was shopping for a new kitchen faucet a month ago due to new countertops being installed in my kitchen, and I saw nothing in the way of touch operated faucets in the big box home improvement stores.

I'm sure they're out there, but they appear to have fallen out of favor.

And no, a programmable thermostat, smart house stuff, etc., adds no value in my book. I've got one myself for energy savings, but unless the one in the house was a model/brand I would use, it would get removed and replaced with one of my choice.

RM

Old 07-04-2021, 10:49 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,055,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
I wonder if you can get tough operated faucets any more? I say that as I was shopping for a new kitchen faucet a month ago due to new countertops being installed in my kitchen, and I saw nothing in the way of touch operated faucets in the big box home improvement stores.

I'm sure they're out there, but they appear to have fallen out of favor.
Delta sells them.

https://www.deltafaucet.com/touch

Old 07-04-2021, 10:57 AM

32,685 posts, read 48,217,712 times
If you put them in now, they are outdated technology in 6 months, so they aren't going to help sell your house. No difference in the buyer, no difference in the price.

If someone likes them and the house doesn't have one, they will buy anyway and install their own. If the house has one and they don't like them, the will change the thermostat after they close escrow. Neither scenario is going to affect the price.

Old 07-04-2021, 11:52 AM

5,252 posts, read 6,184,638 times
We replaced our AC unit just a few years ago. The estimate had shown a Honeywell smart thermostat.

Trying to get our price down a bit I requested an old fashioned non smart thermostat. I was told that the Honeywell was their entry level thermostat.

The company has always done right by us so we just said okay.

We can control it when not at home but to be honest we have never had the need to. My wife is always home but I suppose if we were both out of the house all day we would set parameters.

I think most installs now will come with a WiFi thermostat so it is going to be quite prevalent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate