Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2021, 02:46 PM

10,915 posts, read 7,420,904 times

Advertisements

The Sierra Club keeps sending me letters, telling me I should join! What should I do? Are they scammers, trying to steal my hiking boots?

It's just junk mail, toss it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2021, 03:16 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,924,282 times
I got one of those offer to buy letters within two months after buying my house. Since then I get one about once a month.

I also get a solicitation from a place in Phoenix called The Beatitudes about every two weeks. It's a retirement community. Get this:

Quote:
The monthly fee starts at just $2,941 with a one-time 90% refundable entrance fee starting at $137,608.
Right. Sign me up.

Old 12-23-2021, 03:18 PM

6,567 posts, read 8,411,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey2k View Post
Just put Return To Sender on any future letters. Hopefully they'll get the message.
+1

Write return to sender on the envelope and put it back in your mailbox.

Old 12-23-2021, 03:19 PM

10,915 posts, read 7,420,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
I got one of those offer to buy letters within two months after buying my house. Since then I get one about once a month.

I also get a solicitation from a place in Phoenix called The Beatitudes about every two weeks. It's a retirement community. Get this:

this:

Quote:
The monthly fee starts at just $2,941 with a one-time 90% refundable entrance fee starting at $137,608.

Right. Sign me up.

Nice they keep it affordable at under $3k/month.

Old 12-23-2021, 03:55 PM

50,923 posts, read 36,601,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Google their names. Google their number. Google their address. They're probably scammers, and (unless your home is worth more than you realize), they're working come sort of con. Dig DEEP (maybe on a burner laptop, from some business's wifi, if you have to pay for any information. Pay with a gift card that can't be traced back to you.)

At the very least, they're going to pull a bait-&-switch, or share your information with "an associate".

You're smart in not responding. Responding is like inviting a vampire into your home.
This^^. Sounds like some kind of scam to me. You’re probably not the only one getting them either. I wouldn’t bother trying to get info on them. I wouldn’t respond either.

Old 12-23-2021, 03:59 PM

118 posts, read 78,039 times
No reason to over think it, it's junk mail from some shady outfit spamming your area...not an actual couple targeting your specific house.

Old 12-23-2021, 04:35 PM

61,859 posts, read 87,314,674 times
This might help:
https://faq.usps.com/s/article/Refus...-mailing-lists

Old 12-23-2021, 04:45 PM

17,361 posts, read 22,115,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue777 View Post
I purchased my home in late 2018 for $175,000. These past 7-8 months, there is a couple that continuously sends offers in the mail every week with sometimes a long letter. Every time they send a letter, the offer is always increased by a good amount. This last offer was for a little over $430,000. Well a couple of days ago, I received a letter from them asking why I have not responded to any of their letters.

I have not responded because I'm simply not interested in selling, but should I respond at this point? What used to be one letter a week has now become two letters a week.

I have a buddy that got a knock on the door this year...........guy introduced himself and wanted to buy his house for 10 million. My buddy says thanks no thanks and tried to close the door. "Buyer" said is their any number that would interest you?

My buddy says: I'm 81 years old, I don't need 10 million and I like living here, thank you.

This market is crazy, he might be able to get 12+

Old 12-23-2021, 04:51 PM

61,859 posts, read 87,314,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey2k View Post
Just put Return To Sender on any future letters. Hopefully they'll get the message.
1. The post office wouldn't return to sender typical junk mail. I asked.
You can ignore it and toss in the garbage, but the sender won't "get the message".

2. If this isn't typical junk mail, please remember to "mess up" the barcode.
The barcode is your address, if you don't make it un-scannable, you will get that mail piece back again.
No one reads your "return to sender" note. Everything is automated nowadays.

And yes, this spam is a plague. Everyone gets it, all the times.
I get such offers several times a week. And yes, their offers are usually ridiculous high. You know that's just a bait, and they won't pay what they are offering.

Old 12-23-2021, 05:36 PM

8,316 posts, read 3,941,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I'd ignore and definitely not respond . . . for a couple who is actually now writing asking why you haven't responded (seriously, who does that?? ), I doubt that a letter with a ridiculously high dollar amount will make them stop with the foolishness. If they have the nerve to ever show up at your property, I'd call the cops. In the event that they are not scammers, they sound completely unhinged and I'd fear that they may try to do something crazy to get you to sell.
There is little doubt in my mind that these people are either con artists or as you suggest, are a little whacko in one way or another.

Definitely should not respond - it might be worth a call to the Attorney General's office or the Sheriff or Police department to find out if a scam like this is known in their area.

I'd keep the letters, not destroy them because if this IS a scam being perpetrated on others in their area, AG or investigators might be interested in them. And if they ever had to file a restraining order or similar, they would need those letters as evidence of harassment.

I assume that since they have the ability to write back to these people that they have their name and address. If it is not a street address and a PO box that is an obvious big red flag. If they do have a name and address, as someone else said do a deep Google search; even better, if they know someone who does background checks, find out everything they can about them.

This is not just to be nosy - if it isn't a scam and these people are a little crazy they would want to know who they are dealing with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate