Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2021, 08:02 AM

1,085 posts, read 705,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Is that not a type of scam? A way of pulling a fast sone on someone? It's not "paranoid" to think someone's "trying to mess with your property ownership from your recorder's office"?
They. Can’t. Do. That.

If you refuse to interact outside of “**** all the way off, I’m not selling”. They can try all they want, but nothing will come of it. This is a marketing ploy, and best left to the recycling bin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2021, 08:30 AM

8,582 posts, read 12,538,045 times
Not everyone in the world is out to scam you out of your house. Some people are just crazy. It sounds like they (foolishly) really, really want your house.

Last edited by jackmichigan; 12-24-2021 at 08:59 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-24-2021, 08:46 AM

1,085 posts, read 705,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Not everyone in the world is out to scam you out of your house. Some people are just crazy. It sounds like they (foolishly) really, really want you house.
Or. Like others have stated, they went to one of those dumbass “use other people’s money to flip houses” seminars and they’re trying to get leads.

Old 12-24-2021, 09:21 AM

198 posts, read 110,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue777 View Post
I purchased my home in late 2018 for $175,000. These past 7-8 months, there is a couple that continuously sends offers in the mail every week with sometimes a long letter. Every time they send a letter, the offer is always increased by a good amount. This last offer was for a little over $430,000. Well a couple of days ago, I received a letter from them asking why I have not responded to any of their letters.

I have not responded because I'm simply not interested in selling, but should I respond at this point? What used to be one letter a week has now become two letters a week.
Yes ask them to stop doing it

Old 12-24-2021, 10:22 AM

332 posts, read 279,023 times
Thank you for everyone that has replied.

The letters are hand written with pen. When I flip the paper over, the ink bleeds through. So they are definitely taking the time to write everything out. Each piece of mail usually has two papers hand written with an offer at the very bottom of the last page. It's not like the letters are short either. They fill up the entire paper.

From what I have gathered in previous letters, they are a couple in their mid 30's who want purchase the house because they want to be near their family members who supposedly live close by.

Just thought I'd ask you guys about this because as I have stated, the last letter I received seemed quite aggressive asking why I have not responded to any of the letters they have sent.

Old 12-24-2021, 10:43 AM

19,963 posts, read 12,250,412 times
I would send a note certified mail, signature required, telling them to cease communication.

Old 12-24-2021, 11:06 AM

22,866 posts, read 19,497,091 times
first thought: creepy.
followed closely by: scam
and since you mentioned "getting more aggressive": major red flag

how about this: ask them to provide you with their full names, full dates of birth, full Social security numbers, proof of income, pay stubs for the past 7 years, proof of employment, name of employer, name and phone number of supervisor, bank statements for all accounts for the last seven years, name of their realtor, names and addresses and phone numbers of family members in the area, name address and phone number of five professional references in your local area, ask them for $3,500 cash up front for you to run a full background check on them including criminal history, and also on their "family members" in the vicinity, and also proof of all residences for the past 10 years, where they have lived, names of landlords, apartment managers. that would be a very bare minimum.

see what their response is. and if the letters stop.

Old 12-24-2021, 11:40 AM

6,547 posts, read 10,503,108 times
I think the OP should simply use the circular file (trash can) approach if the get future correspondence from this person. Don't waste your time in trying to contact them asking them to stop.

You might ask your local Postmaster if they can intervene on your behalf as it is becoming a harassing activity if you are willing to retain some of these letters as evidence. If so, keep track what days each letter was received. Good luck and best wishes.

Old 12-24-2021, 12:11 PM

14,165 posts, read 8,284,613 times
Quote:
Thank you for everyone that has replied.

The letters are hand written with pen. When I flip the paper over, the ink bleeds through. So they are definitely taking the time to write everything out. Each piece of mail usually has two papers hand written with an offer at the very bottom of the last page. It's not like the letters are short either. They fill up the entire paper.

From what I have gathered in previous letters, they are a couple in their mid 30's who want purchase the house because they want to be near their family members who supposedly live close by.

Just thought I'd ask you guys about this because as I have stated, the last letter I received seemed quite aggressive asking why I have not responded to any of the letters they have sent.

So the letters aren't being shot-gunned out. They are specifically targeting your property. Wonder why your property? Nevertheless:

I would respond with "I have no plans to sell now or in the foreseeable future" Thank you. XX

Send the response certified mail. Keep a copy of this letter and the post office receipt.

These past 7-8 months, there is a couple that continuously sends offers in the mail every week with sometimes a long letter.

Sending a stranger a letter every week for months on end wanting to buy their house is weird to say the least. Keep copies of any future correspondences. You will need a paper trail should this continue.

Last edited by john3232; 12-24-2021 at 12:42 PM..

Old 12-24-2021, 12:16 PM

182 posts, read 77,911 times
Quote:
I purchased my home in late 2018 for $175,000. These past 7-8 months, there is a couple that continuously sends offers in the mail every week with sometimes a long letter. Every time they send a letter, the offer is always increased by a good amount. This last offer was for a little over $430,000. Well a couple of days ago, I received a letter from them asking why I have not responded to any of their letters.

I have not responded because I'm simply not interested in selling, but should I respond at this point? What used to be one letter a week has now become two letters a week.
Don't reply to their letter, toss it to the trash can instead. At least this act will cost you less energy than what they spent on their letters. If you have too much time in your hands, send them a Xmas card with a smiley with your tongue sticking out. Buy a metal detector to search every corner of your house. You might find something interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate