Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2021, 06:04 PM

10,366 posts, read 6,923,101 times

Advertisements

If they're THAT aggressive, then you might want to keep an eye on your deed for possible theft/fraud activity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2021, 08:34 PM

13,921 posts, read 8,098,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue777 View Post
I purchased my home in late 2018 for $175,000. These past 7-8 months, there is a couple that continuously sends offers in the mail every week with sometimes a long letter. Every time they send a letter, the offer is always increased by a good amount. This last offer was for a little over $430,000. Well a couple of days ago, I received a letter from them asking why I have not responded to any of their letters.

I have not responded because I'm simply not interested in selling, but should I respond at this point? What used to be one letter a week has now become two letters a week.

Are the letters hand written or photocopies? If they are photocopies just toss them. It's a generic letter being sent to hundreds if not a few thousand.

On the other hand if these long letter appears to be handwritten then the person might be... a nut job.

I had a similar situation although I was when renting my house. The property was listed on the market but a man showed up one afternoon without calling first. O.k. I showed him around but it was apparent his income was questionable. He showed again maybe three or for more times unannounced. This after I'd made it clear what the income requirements were. I couldn't get rid of him. He would stay in the house for 20 mins or more babbling about the kitchen or something. My car would be parked outside so he'd know I was inside showing the property.

Fortunately I was able to rent the home fairly quickly. Still this guy was a bit unnerving.

Last edited by john3232; 12-23-2021 at 08:40 PM.. Reason: u

Old 12-23-2021, 09:11 PM

102,256 posts, read 108,215,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Google their names. Google their number. Google their address. They're probably scammers, and (unless your home is worth more than you realize), they're working come sort of con. Dig DEEP (maybe on a burner laptop, from some business's wifi, if you have to pay for any information. Pay with a gift card that can't be traced back to you.)

At the very least, they're going to pull a bait-&-switch, or share your information with "an associate".

You're smart in not responding. Responding is like inviting a vampire into your home.
This. ALWAYS research strangers contacting you about money. You were right to not respond, OP.

Old 12-23-2021, 09:33 PM

1,085 posts, read 697,027 times
Man. The level of paranoia some of you exist with must be so exhausting to carry around all day.

Old 12-23-2021, 10:03 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,117,029 times
Quote:
I purchased my home in late 2018 for $175,000. These past 7-8 months, there is a couple that continuously sends offers in the mail every week with sometimes a long letter. Every time they send a letter, the offer is always increased by a good amount. This last offer was for a little over $430,000. Well a couple of days ago, I received a letter from them asking why I have not responded to any of their letters.

I have not responded because I'm simply not interested in selling, but should I respond at this point? What used to be one letter a week has now become two letters a week.
Everyone has a price. In one year, making $200k on a $175k house seems too good to be true. Take the money and run. Congratulations.

Old 12-23-2021, 11:00 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,992,251 times
Quote:

Tell them to **** off. Pretty simple.

Old 12-24-2021, 07:26 AM

5,982 posts, read 7,413,375 times
My response would be dependent on what I'm interested in.

Am I interested in selling? If so, do some OSINT (open source intelligence) on the people and see if they're legit - Google and Facebook are your friends here. If not, you're done. If they are, then respond back with your counter and make it clear it's a fully executed sales contract or nothing and future efforts to contact you will be ignored.

Am I not interested in selling? Toss their correspondence in the trash and go on about your business.

Please ignore the paranoid people telling you that this is an attempt to scam you. It's likely not. I work in the IT security field and have seen all sorts of scams regarding property, and scammers are never this blatant. You're far more likely to find out someone is trying to mess with your property ownership from your recorder's office. And for that matter, as a general recommendation, I advise friends and family members to register with their local tax collector/recorder's office for notification of any changes to their property records. Most of these agencies now have such mechanisms in place and it costs nothing to sign up. That way if someone does try to mess with your records you'll know about it on the spot.

RM

Old 12-24-2021, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Rover View Post
Man. The level of paranoia some of you exist with must be so exhausting to carry around all day.
You call it paranoia. Others call it "common sense".

Old 12-24-2021, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
My response would be dependent on what I'm interested in.

Am I interested in selling? If so, do some OSINT (open source intelligence) on the people and see if they're legit - Google and Facebook are your friends here. If not, you're done. If they are, then respond back with your counter and make it clear it's a fully executed sales contract or nothing and future efforts to contact you will be ignored.

Am I not interested in selling? Toss their correspondence in the trash and go on about your business.

Please ignore the paranoid people telling you that this is an attempt to scam you. It's likely not. I work in the IT security field and have seen all sorts of scams regarding property, and scammers are never this blatant. You're far more likely to find out someone is trying to mess with your property ownership from your recorder's office. And for that matter, as a general recommendation, I advise friends and family members to register with their local tax collector/recorder's office for notification of any changes to their property records. Most of these agencies now have such mechanisms in place and it costs nothing to sign up. That way if someone does try to mess with your records you'll know about it on the spot.

RM
Is that not a type of scam? A way of pulling a fast sone on someone? It's not "paranoid" to think someone's "trying to mess with your property ownership from your recorder's office"?

Old 12-24-2021, 08:00 AM

1,085 posts, read 697,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You call it paranoia. Others call it "common sense".
Common sense would just say no thanks and move on.

Common sense might realize that it’s just a marketing ploy to get you to interact in their “negotiating”.

Common sense would laugh at mail - I mean, what uses US Mail anymore? That’s just bill recycling.

Paranoia is thinking someone is out to get you, and can do that even if you don’t participate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate