Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2022, 07:46 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
FIFY

In SoCal, there just isn't a lot of places to build. We've expanded east to Riverside/IE and even those are getting pricey.

I was looking when the pandemic started. I came to a dead screeching halt when it happened. Then, maybe three weeks in, I started asking for 20% off *snickers*. Got a few willing to dip 3%. Because of my pride, I passed. Waited two months and ended up paying full price in 2020. OF course, in the time span of 20 months, it's appreciated close to 40%

Yeah, Oahu's market was like that (still is I'm sure, I'm not there). Even our area, lots of land, sparsely populated, has home popping up everywhere, all the new are sold within days, older homes are around 7 available, on one end you have a beat up modular for 300K and a 7M at the other (WHY did they build that here?????).

Our area is a circle with a few side streets, and the amount of houses have doubled since Dec 2019.

I figured being in the middle of nowhere, I wouldn't see any value increase in our house, it's gone up around 30%.

The list of things I do not understand about economics just gets bigger and bigger...
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2022, 10:32 AM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

The list of things I do not understand about economics just gets bigger and bigger...
Simple supply and demand in this case.

Old 03-03-2022, 10:36 AM

Quote:
It's more of the issue that I did not foresee a bunch of people wanting to move out here. When we moved there were quite a few houses on the market AND they were list for 6 mos to a year.

Two years later they are snapped up before anyone has a chance to scroll down the page.

It's a 30 mile drive to a supermarket, and there are few jobs inside a 50 mile radius.

Old 03-03-2022, 11:12 AM

78,335 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Yep and demand in particular is not always rational.

With regards to the thread, have mortgages get up to 5-6-7% and imagine the impact it would have.

Old 03-03-2022, 11:47 AM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
It's more of the issue that I did not foresee a bunch of people wanting to move out here. When we moved there were quite a few houses on the market AND they were list for 6 mos to a year.

Two years later they are snapped up before anyone has a chance to scroll down the page.

It's a 30 mile drive to a supermarket, and there are few jobs inside a 50 mile radius.
Hawaii? Don't have to tell me twice, I'm coming!!

Old 03-03-2022, 11:57 AM

35,000 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Nothing moves in one direction forever. Affordability is a real-life problem at some point. Also when monthly mortgage and tax payments get too high for some buyers, there will be mortgage defaults. A pinch in lending never helps.

Old 03-03-2022, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Hawaii? Don't have to tell me twice, I'm coming!!
No. lol We moved FROM Hawaii to the middle of nowhere Nevada.

Old 03-03-2022, 03:10 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,998,071 times
Still trying to figure out where all this money is coming from.

My guess is that it's mostly a lack of available housing. The people that CAN afford to buy, happen to have enough money to buy well over asking price. Those that can't, or would struggle in a buyer friendly market....they'll continue to wait.

We hear stories about how most Americans barely have any savings, the high credit card and student loan debt etc., yet everyone is buying houses. I do think some of the entities like Blackrock plus Chinese investors buying homes is a legit "thing." Not to mention all the people from high COL states moving to the Sunbelt is also a "thing." They use the equity on their expensive CA/NJ/IL/NY/MA house and buy a bigger house in TX or NC while saving money in the process.

Wealth transfers probably contribute as well since many Millenials and older Gen Z members may have lucrative careers but receive cash infusions from parents and grandparents to make the big purchase. This doesn't get talked about much but there's no way you can go on nice vacations, drive nice cars, make decent but not great money AND THEN comfortably buy a home in this climate without something going on behind the scenes. Some will say "investments"........more like Granny's investments 20 years ago paid off for you!

Old 03-03-2022, 04:37 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Don’t let it pop for a few weeks. But then my house should be sold.

Old 03-03-2022, 05:08 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
Still trying to figure out where all this money is coming from.

My guess is that it's mostly a lack of available housing. The people that CAN afford to buy, happen to have enough money to buy well over asking price. Those that can't, or would struggle in a buyer friendly market....they'll continue to wait.

We hear stories about how most Americans barely have any savings, the high credit card and student loan debt etc., yet everyone is buying houses. I do think some of the entities like Blackrock plus Chinese investors buying homes is a legit "thing." Not to mention all the people from high COL states moving to the Sunbelt is also a "thing." They use the equity on their expensive CA/NJ/IL/NY/MA house and buy a bigger house in TX or NC while saving money in the process.

Wealth transfers probably contribute as well since many Millenials and older Gen Z members may have lucrative careers but receive cash infusions from parents and grandparents to make the big purchase. This doesn't get talked about much but there's no way you can go on nice vacations, drive nice cars, make decent but not great money AND THEN comfortably buy a home in this climate without something going on behind the scenes. Some will say "investments"........more like Granny's investments 20 years ago paid off for you!
Yes, there are boomer/Gen X parents stepping in to help their kids get into homes.
Yes, investors are buying up homes with high down payments or cash squeezing out first-timers.
Not all investors are big corporations. Lots and lots of small-time investors are in the market as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate