Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2022, 03:37 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
OP: gonna put your money where your mouth is? Or is this just cheerleading for your preferred disaster?
As someone who looked at homes from 2003 - 2008.
The talk was exactly the same.
Better buy now as prices are only going to go up each year.
The baby boomers, etc. are all buying up the homes.
Construction costs are only going to go up.
There is a shortage of homes.
Interest rates are only going to go up.
Better buy now as prices are only going to go up.

Looked at a housing development of 1,200 homes as developer was just finishing up in 2006/7.

Well, in 2008, in this development that completed the last new home out of 1,200. About 90% of homes had a for sale sign. Mostly foreclosures and short sales.

Oh, but that can't happen again. Right?
It is "different" now.

There will never be another recession.

Someone best look up history. As there has been a recession on average every 7 years in the USA. Some big. Some small.

Housing prices will never go down. Right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2022, 06:36 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,630,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post

Looked at a housing development of 1,200 homes as developer was just finishing up in 2006/7.

Well, in 2008, in this development that completed the last new home out of 1,200. About 90% of homes had a for sale sign. Mostly foreclosures and short sales.

It is "different" now.

Someone best look up history. As there has been a recession on average every 7 years in the USA. Some big. Some small.

No one is saying they’re never going down. We just don’t know that they will, and if they do, we don’t know when. So if you’re in the market to buy a home today, you’re taking somewhat of what gamble whether you buy now or wait. I’m of the opinion that we have at least another year of price increases. And if prices do eventually come down I wouldn’t count on them returning anywhere near 2019 prices.

Old 03-05-2022, 09:28 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:

It is "different" now.

The Economist magazine had a short article on this recently. One of the major differences between now and the last housing bubble is that the buyers this time have plenty of cash, no sketchy loans.

As previously mentioned, inventory is low when compared to historical levels.

Also, building supply prices are up and there's a shortage of construction workers.

So, their take is that prices will stay up for awhile.

Old 03-05-2022, 09:28 PM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post

Apples and oranges from 2008.

And 2008 was different from previous downturns like the Great Depression. Every economic downturn or real estate correction is a little different that previous ones. Legislation got passed trying to prevent 2008 from happening again. But that does not mean different factors cannot cause problems.

We did not have inflation like today in 2008. But we did 40 years ago. Study that.

Old 03-05-2022, 09:50 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:

It is "different" now.

Hey, you joined in 2008. What a coincidence.

This is no longer 2008

Old 03-06-2022, 05:48 PM

18,456 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
And 2008 was different from previous downturns like the Great Depression. Every economic downturn or real estate correction is a little different that previous ones. Legislation got passed trying to prevent 2008 from happening again. But that does not mean different factors cannot cause problems.

We did not have inflation like today in 2008. But we did 40 years ago. Study that.
Before the last crash I read a great article in the WSJ about how every crash is preceded by flocks of speculators giving all the reasons why THIS time it is different.

Old 03-06-2022, 05:55 PM

I was just on vacation in South Florida with my family, and as I often do when I am on vacation somewhere, I was looking for potential real estate deals. I have to say, it is looking real frothy there right now, especially anywhere near the beaches. Tons of flippers. Homes bought for 1 or 2 million last year, now back on the market for 4 or 5 million. It's looking a lot like 2006 to me again, and I'm thinking 2 years from now there will be some pretty good foreclosure deals to be had. Time will tell.

Old 03-06-2022, 06:38 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
I live in the Austin, Texas MSA.

People were saying that higher interest rates would slow things down but it hasn't.

Demand remains high, inventory remains low....and that extends beyond the city core.

I remember people saying the suburbs were going to become ghettos. heh, not really

Old 03-06-2022, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I live in the Austin, Texas MSA.

People were saying that higher interest rates would slow things down but it hasn't.

Demand remains high, inventory remains low....and that extends beyond the city core.

I remember people saying the suburbs were going to become ghettos. heh, not really
Typically, when interest rates start to rise, it sends demand even higher because people on the fence decide to jump in now before they rise more, potentially pricing them out of the homes they want to buy.

The fed plans to slow down the rise in interest rates. Of course, a lot can happen to change that. Or not. Either way, we aren't going to see any major change in the market happen overnight. These are not stocks, where major selloffs can happen in a day.

Old 03-07-2022, 06:44 AM

1,579 posts, read 947,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
What bubble?

Newly on the market in my vacation neighborhood:

Only $6,993,370

Yours for only $7,850,000

A charming, comfy cottage at $13,950,000

Priced to sell at $17,500,000

A steal at $22,900,000

And, any tour of the neighborhood isn't complete with out this gem:

Priced under market at $29,000,000

Redfin says the median days-on-market is 21, but that seems high to me. It includes a few houses that have, uh, fatal issues -- houses that have been on the market for at least 2 years.

Why would anyone want all those windows? It's a lot to clean, hard to place furniture, and maybe harder to heat and cool. But I suppose when you have that much money, you hire a cleaner and don't care about your electric/gas bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate