Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2022, 10:29 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,393,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
All the old cabins on waterfront have been bought up, torn down, and replaced with vacation homes. You'll really need to get out in the boondocks (hours from major highway access) to find what you're looking for.

Yeah, you're right. I'd have to take some country drives out to some lake sides and riverbanks. Scope it out. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2022, 11:58 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,770,208 times
Not lakeside, but on a bay that's fairly calm most of the time. Way off the beaten track, but there's good little grocery store in that town

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/N...62575392_zpid/

Old 07-24-2022, 09:09 AM

12,052 posts, read 8,440,782 times
Lakeside land is the Minnesota dream. That ship sailed years ago. Even the most unsuitable spots have long been developed.

We joke here that someone either has to die or you have to marry into a lake cabin family to have a chance.

There is a beautiful home on a promontory at a lake nearby us that was the envy of lakefolk. We used to call it the lawyers' house. Not because lawyers lived there but because the two factions in a divorce fought so long and bitterly for the lake home that finally the lawyers got it.

But I think you've got the right idea, kitty. If I lived at the lake I wouldn't want a dream home. I'd like a place where people could walk in in wet bathing suits and track sand in. Why worry about housekeeping when you're living vacation-style?

An anecdote: Living at the lake has its downside. Daughter was in a relationship with a man who stayed in the family lake cabin year 'round. It seemed ideal.

The rest of the family took their vacations there. When they came to use their cabin guess who was expected to play hostess? Oops.

Old 07-24-2022, 12:56 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,178,693 times
I've seen some - but I've searched for sale, not for lease - in western WA in the lightly populated areas, like out on the Olympic Peninsula. Some have rather decrepit single-wides on them; some have stick built small homes. Most "need work," but are livable. I know you aren't in the US, but if they're around my area, I bet they're in yours.

Old 07-24-2022, 06:45 PM

21,901 posts, read 12,998,839 times
Your best bet is to narrow your search on Zillow or some other real estate site. Specify "500 sf or less" and "1 bed/1 bath" (the least you can enter) and the lowest possible price; also "waterfront." I found quite a few quirky old shacks and other unique properties that way; I only wish I'd bought one of them years ago before the market went insane.

I'd like to end my days in some beat-up ramshackle beach cottage sitting way too close to the surf line and not worry about it!

EDIT: Oops! I didn't notice you said "for lease."

Last edited by otterhere; 07-24-2022 at 06:56 PM..

Old 07-25-2022, 07:18 AM

4,544 posts, read 2,698,884 times
State of Maine is full of these.

Old 07-25-2022, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Your best bet is to narrow your search on Zillow or some other real estate site. Specify "500 sf or less" and "1 bed/1 bath" (the least you can enter) and the lowest possible price; also "waterfront." I found quite a few quirky old shacks and other unique properties that way; I only wish I'd bought one of them years ago before the market went insane.

I'd like to end my days in some beat-up ramshackle beach cottage sitting way too close to the surf line and not worry about it!

EDIT: Oops! I didn't notice you said "for lease."

Thanks very much for such as good suggestion and how to do it! Yeah, wish I had bought when I was still working and had a good income. Unfortunately health failed.

No problem on the lease thing you added. I said lease in my original post I assume it will be a cheaper monthly expense than outright buy. I am on a limited income and according to my government it is quantified as poverty level. I am currently paying $1000/mo rent on an apt and hope I could move into a shack for 1/2 that. Probably a pipe dream of the highest unlikelihood. But I decided that my yearning for that dream should be investigated instead of sitting in my arm chair dreaming about it, wanting it so much. Nothing ventured, nothing gained kind of thing. If I don't try I will never know.

Old 07-25-2022, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
I've seen some - but I've searched for sale, not for lease - in western WA in the lightly populated areas, like out on the Olympic Peninsula. Some have rather decrepit single-wides on them; some have stick built small homes. Most "need work," but are livable. I know you aren't in the US, but if they're around my area, I bet they're in yours.

I love WA ! Lived there for about 2 years on the peninsula near Seabeck, outskirts of Tacoma too. Dual citizen.

Old 07-25-2022, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Not lakeside, but on a bay that's fairly calm most of the time. Way off the beaten track, but there's good little grocery store in that town

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/N...62575392_zpid/

Water-side is my criteria. Love the idea of the bay.

Wow, I like that a lot! It's actually way nicer than I was expecting to get. Feel more hopeful my dream could happen.

Last edited by kitty61; 07-25-2022 at 01:28 PM..

Old 07-25-2022, 01:22 PM

21,901 posts, read 12,998,839 times
It's for sale and not lease, though. And, as with most "floating houses," you get only the house; not the land (you pay additional rent for that) or rather the slip or marina fee and utilities.

In your case, I'd just choose a realtor in whatever location you're seeking and tell them what you're looking for; make sure they understand it's to lease and not buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate