Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2022, 01:54 PM

9,625 posts, read 5,423,969 times

Advertisements

How about Northern Maine?

or, perhaps consider finding the perfect piece of property and putting a tiny house on it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2022, 02:10 PM

22,153 posts, read 13,313,302 times
After checking with city/county building and planning zone codes, of course; many locales don't allow you to just plop a "tiny house" down on it and live in it full-time.

Old 07-28-2022, 08:41 PM

10,508 posts, read 7,111,047 times
Here's one in Lakeside...

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/M...62278701_zpid/

It's kinda close to Lake Jennings...

Old 07-29-2022, 03:25 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,438,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
You haven't mentioned what your budget is, but you can find land in MO like this, with creeks running through them, your own pond, or depending on your budget, river or lakefront, with little to no permits required or inspections necessary, depending on the county you opt for. You could have a Dirksen or other tiny house delivered and do with it as you wish. If you do some research, you can find these sheds with no down payment and easy monthly payments, delivered to your site. You can also find them on foreclosure deals. Easy enough to start off with a compost type toilet. Up until this crazy season, you could buy land in mid Missouri for $1,000 an acre. It's about 3-5k an acre now, depending where you look, but there are always deals to be found as well.

I'm low income pensioner. That's under $19000/yr. I think I mentioned it in my original post.

Old 07-29-2022, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I thought of mice, too. A "cheap shack" out in a rural area is likely to be overrun with vermin of various types. Hope OP is up for dealing with that! I guess on the beach (my personal dream), I'd only have to worry about rising sea levels getting in... Right???

Sounds wonderful your beach!

I am not scared of anything like that. I wasn't brought up in the city. I see wild animals all the time so I am not scared of them depending of course if it is a bear with cubs or a rutting moose or bison. Not squeamish. Mice aren't terrible things just a nuisance. Cats are great. Mice tell each other there's a cat so eventually they decide to lower their risks and leave. We don't have rats in Alberta. Chipmunks and squirrels can get brave. Again, cats are great.

Old 07-29-2022, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Here's one in Lakeside...

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/M...62278701_zpid/

It's kinda close to Lake Jennings...

That's really cute. A lot "fancier" than the shack I wanted. Thanks anyhow.

Old 07-29-2022, 08:21 AM

89,069 posts, read 85,670,613 times
My sister lives this way, sort of. She is in northeastern Pennsylvania. She's not really on a lake, but rather a large marshy pond that's part of a creek system. There ARE catfish and whatnot in the pond, as well as ducks, beaver, etc.

She and her long-term partner have lived there for at least 30 years. She just turned 70, and he is around 75 now. Their home was a small cabin with one tiny bedroom, a kitchen/living/dining area, to which they added on another bedroom and expanded the bathroom to include an area for a washer and dryer when she moved in with her then-14-year-old daughter, but it's still very small.

The cabin is at the back of large property with a bigger house up near the road that was owned by an older couple who spent winters in Florida. My sister and her man took care of the property and the house. The man has since died, but his 90-something-year-old widow is still alive. She has written it into her will that my sister and her partner may live in their cabin for as long as they live or choose to stay there.

The cabin is heated with a wood stove. They have a large freezer in the entryway. They keep a good-sized garden every year and freeze and can their produce. They both used to hunt, but she had a stroke about nine years ago that left her with a limp, so she doesn't go out anymore, but instead during hunting season their friends come over before dawn and she makes breakfast for all of them. People who are successful tend to share their venison up there with those who were not or could not hunt. State game lands abut the owner's property.

At one time they had chickens out back that produced so many eggs they gave them to the local food pantry, but one year a bear got them and they decided not to replace them.

There is a spring on the property. Water is piped into the house from the spring, and it's the best-tasting water I've ever had.

I don't think I have a photo of it on my computer, but it is by no means as "fancy" as the one in the picture above.

At any rate, yes, such places do exist. As I think you already know, I'm an American living in Ontario. My bf has a house on a lake that started as a three-season cottage but he made it year-round (propane tank, generator/ac) and moved up there to retire. However, a couple of years ago, there was advertised for sale 57 acres with a cabin, a shed, and a third building of some sort. I forget what they were asking, but it was cheap by most standards. However, it was not directly on the lake and its draw was that it had a lot of trails for ATV and snowmobiles. There are a few small cabins still around, but the lake is a hot market now and people are paying big bucks for teardowns. COVID sent a lot of people from the GTA fleeing up to the area.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 07-29-2022 at 08:33 AM..

Old 07-29-2022, 08:49 AM

89,069 posts, read 85,670,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Sounds wonderful your beach!

I am not scared of anything like that. I wasn't brought up in the city. I see wild animals all the time so I am not scared of them depending of course if it is a bear with cubs or a rutting moose or bison. Not squeamish. Mice aren't terrible things just a nuisance. Cats are great. Mice tell each other there's a cat so eventually they decide to lower their risks and leave. We don't have rats in Alberta. Chipmunks and squirrels can get brave. Again, cats are great.
When I began to spend more time up here than not and was down to one cat in NJ, I brought him up to the lake. He was 13 years old and had never caught a mouse in his life, but within a week of him becoming a Canadian cat, I woke up in the middle of the night hearing him hit his paws against the glass door that led to a screened-in porch. I flipped on the light, and sure enough, there was a mouse out there. After that, I would hear him running around in the night and often woke up to find a dead mouse or parts thereof in the living room and basement. He had the time of his life in his last two years between hunting mice in the house and watching through the windows the ongoing show of birds and chipmunks and squirrels that we fed outside. (He had never been an outdoor cat and in fact was scared to go out, which was good because outdoor cats up there become coyote food.)

Old 07-29-2022, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
When I began to spend more time up here than not and was down to one cat in NJ, I brought him up to the lake. He was 13 years old and had never caught a mouse in his life, but within a week of him becoming a Canadian cat, I woke up in the middle of the night hearing him hit his paws against the glass door that led to a screened-in porch. I flipped on the light, and sure enough, there was a mouse out there. After that, I would hear him running around in the night and often woke up to find a dead mouse or parts thereof in the living room and basement. He had the time of his life in his last two years between hunting mice in the house and watching through the windows the ongoing show of birds and chipmunks and squirrels that we fed outside. (He had never been an outdoor cat and in fact was scared to go out, which was good because outdoor cats up there become coyote food.)

I wish more people would give their cats this kind of experience. Good for you! I have not had a indoor cat before but have had about a doz pet cats over the years. Yes, the cats might not live as long as indoors but it's just not mentally healthy for them, I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate