Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2023, 10:57 AM

20,144 posts, read 20,937,684 times

Advertisements

I like them. Easier to clean, pots/pans sit nice and level unlike coils which can be wonky.
They cook pretty evenly and they’re fairly efficient. And I’m getting lazy in my old age so going back to cleaning, yeah they are very easy to maintain. I’d much rather spend 6 minutes scraping off the occasional baked on spill than dismantling the entire stove top to clean the coils and catch trays and such. Although I do like a nice gas cook top, it comes back to the same thing…cleaning. Just my useless opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2023, 04:27 PM

22,686 posts, read 36,866,029 times
I would never let any kind of appliance sway my decision making process, whether it's color, gas v electric, side by side v bottom freezer or whatever. Anything otherwise is pure foolishness. Worry about what you CAN'T change.

Old 09-22-2023, 07:30 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,932,958 times
I have a glass top stove. Never gave it a minute of thought when I bought the house but agree with hotkari about the ease of cleaning (even with the scraping) compared to the stove at my old house that had to be taken apart to get the crud from under the burners.

Old 09-29-2023, 08:59 AM

13,717 posts, read 12,478,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I would never let any kind of appliance sway my decision making process, whether it's color, gas v electric, side by side v bottom freezer or whatever. Anything otherwise is pure foolishness. Worry about what you CAN'T change.
Yeah, though I might balk at an over-stove microwave. I don't like not having a true outside venting exhaust fan now that I don't have one.

Old 09-29-2023, 09:35 AM

43,361 posts, read 77,261,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
IF the cabinetry will accommodate personally preferred appliance choices, then, sure.
Too often choices of built-in appliances limit the opportunity to change them out with preferred options, particularly in older homes.

30" cooktops in lieu of 36" units. Or 24" ovens in lieu of 30".
It turns into a kitchen revamp just to accommodate better choices.
Of course, kitchen footprint and cabinetry are often more problematic than the appliance choices, and generally far more expensive to remedy.

Old 10-01-2023, 06:48 PM

4,415 posts, read 4,929,030 times
Our house was built around 2009 and doesn't have a dishwasher. A dishwasher! What kind of modern kitchen doesn't have a dishwasher? When we bought the place we knew we'd have to live with the situation for a long period of time because there was no money leftover to remodel the kitchen to accommodate adding a dishwasher. But I had a plan. The laundry area is next to the kitchen and the house didn't come with a washer or dryer. So we bought a stacking unit which left enough space for a dishwasher next to it. I bought a dishwasher in a cabinet so there it sits, about 8 steps away from where it should be.

Not having a dishwasher was a big deal but we couldn't find a home that checked ALL the boxes, but we found a way to live with it.

Our counter space is pretty limited so to maximize it I installed the microwave over the range. The hood didn't vent outside anyway. It worked okay but died immediately after the warranty expired. So I bought another brand and installed that, and it ALSO died immediately after the warranty expired. So here I was just a few years into this house and already put $600 worth of microwaves in it. All the over-the-range models are super expensive and all I really needed was a small cheap microwave. So I installed a stainless steel shelf over the range and put a $60 microwave on it. There was enough room on the shelf to also accommodate the air fryer, so both appliances are off the counter. I put an under-counter light on the stainless steel shelf and it works better to illuminate the cooking than the light on the old hood or either of the other microwaves did.

The $60 microwave is still working great, already longer than the other two combined.

Old 10-01-2023, 08:02 PM

17,555 posts, read 39,204,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
Our house was built around 2009 and doesn't have a dishwasher. A dishwasher! What kind of modern kitchen doesn't have a dishwasher? When we bought the place we knew we'd have to live with the situation for a long period of time because there was no money leftover to remodel the kitchen to accommodate adding a dishwasher. But I had a plan. The laundry area is next to the kitchen and the house didn't come with a washer or dryer. So we bought a stacking unit which left enough space for a dishwasher next to it. I bought a dishwasher in a cabinet so there it sits, about 8 steps away from where it should be.

Not having a dishwasher was a big deal but we couldn't find a home that checked ALL the boxes, but we found a way to live with it.

Our counter space is pretty limited so to maximize it I installed the microwave over the range. The hood didn't vent outside anyway. It worked okay but died immediately after the warranty expired. So I bought another brand and installed that, and it ALSO died immediately after the warranty expired. So here I was just a few years into this house and already put $600 worth of microwaves in it. All the over-the-range models are super expensive and all I really needed was a small cheap microwave. So I installed a stainless steel shelf over the range and put a $60 microwave on it. There was enough room on the shelf to also accommodate the air fryer, so both appliances are off the counter. I put an under-counter light on the stainless steel shelf and it works better to illuminate the cooking than the light on the old hood or either of the other microwaves did.

The $60 microwave is still working great, already longer than the other two combined.
Seriously? The microwave in the house we bought 6 months ago is 18 years old, and still works perfectly!

Old 10-02-2023, 05:46 AM

20,144 posts, read 20,937,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Seriously? The microwave in the house we bought 6 months ago is 18 years old, and still works perfectly!
Lol. That’s BECAUSE it’s 18 years old.
They don’t make ‘em like they used to…
In my experience this is especially true when it comes to washing machines and refrigerators.
Total junk they are putting out now. Expensive junk too.
My damn washer has a check engine light. Junk.

Old 10-02-2023, 06:04 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,167,130 times
I prefer gas stoves but can deal with a glass top stove.

Old 10-02-2023, 09:42 AM

8,676 posts, read 22,948,848 times
I love my glass-top Maytag Airfryer & Convection oven/stove. I'll never go back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate