Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2023, 09:54 AM

24,625 posts, read 10,947,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
I used a glass top stove in one of two apartments when I lived in Germany. No problems. I don't recall seeing any gas stoves when I lived there. Here, I also have electric, but not glass-top. Next time I will likely buy a glass top, electric induction stove, and I would consider it favorably in searching for a house to buy.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the health risks of gas here.

According to Scientific American, "Gas stoves produce emissions that can harm human health and the environment."

"New York State has become the first state to pass a law banning gas stoves and other gas-powered appliances in new buildings, including houses and apartment buildings. The move is intended to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, but gas stoves also pose health risks, as this article published in January 2023 explains.
"

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...ves-explained/

Stanford scientists find the climate and health impacts of natural gas stoves are greater than previously thought.

"Natural gas stoves release methane – a potent greenhouse gas – and other pollutants through leaks and incomplete combustion. Stanford researchers estimate that methane leaking from stoves inside U.S. homes has the same climate impact as about 500,000 gasoline-powered cars and the stoves can expose people to respiratory disease-triggering pollutants."

https://news.stanford.edu/2022/01/27...g-cooking-gas/

Stanford researchers found that gas stoves emit far more methane than once thought, and most of the emissions occur while the stove is off. During combustion, stoves also emit dangerous levels of nitrogen oxides, a toxic air pollutant.
This is so political - it has nothing to do with practicality of what kinbd of stove top or what buyers are looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2023, 09:55 AM

24,625 posts, read 10,947,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
I used a glass top stove in one of two apartments when I lived in Germany. No problems. I don't recall seeing any gas stoves when I lived there. Here, I also have electric, but not glass-top. Next time I will likely buy a glass top, electric induction stove, and I would consider it favorably in searching for a house to buy.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the health risks of gas here.

According to Scientific American, "Gas stoves produce emissions that can harm human health and the environment."

"New York State has become the first state to pass a law banning gas stoves and other gas-powered appliances in new buildings, including houses and apartment buildings. The move is intended to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, but gas stoves also pose health risks, as this article published in January 2023 explains.
"

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...ves-explained/

Stanford scientists find the climate and health impacts of natural gas stoves are greater than previously thought.

"Natural gas stoves release methane – a potent greenhouse gas – and other pollutants through leaks and incomplete combustion. Stanford researchers estimate that methane leaking from stoves inside U.S. homes has the same climate impact as about 500,000 gasoline-powered cars and the stoves can expose people to respiratory disease-triggering pollutants."

https://news.stanford.edu/2022/01/27...g-cooking-gas/

Stanford researchers found that gas stoves emit far more methane than once thought, and most of the emissions occur while the stove is off. During combustion, stoves also emit dangerous levels of nitrogen oxides, a toxic air pollutant.
This is so political and has nothing to do with practicality or consumer preference of stove tops.

Old 07-23-2023, 11:20 AM

5,980 posts, read 7,395,205 times
Nothing political about this, other than the recent feeble attempts at legislating the use of gas ranges.

Not surprisingly, the research on this has been ongoing for some time. That aside, think about it - I have a gas range that has four gas burners with a total of over 50,000 BTU output. It's not uncommon to have all of those burners in service during a large meal preparation. The house is in an area with four seasons, so it's closed up let's say half of the year. It's tightly sealed and insulated, verified with a blower door test and infra-red scan.

If we are preparing a large meal we could be dumping the whole 50,000 BTU of gas' nitrogen oxides along with other chemicals and gasses into our indoor environment. That doesn't factor what the oven would put out, too.

But - in our case, we have a professional range hood ducted directly to the outdoors that is run, even at the lowest speed, any time the range is in service.

If we didn't have the range hood and use it, just think of how polluted the air would be in that house in the winter, for example? And that's not to address any other things that might be in the house, too. I'm not trying to sound paranoid, but the science behind this is solid, and even if you want to ignore it, just look at what's happening and consider the results.

RM

Last edited by MortonR; 07-23-2023 at 11:21 AM.. Reason: clarity

Old 07-23-2023, 11:40 AM

88,647 posts, read 84,911,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
This is so political - it has nothing to do with practicality of what kinbd of stove top or what buyers are looking for.
Yes, it's popular to use as a political frisbee right now, but so many of us grew up with gas stoves, as did our parents and grandparents, and watched our mothers and grandmothers who cooked and baked things from scratch every day live into their 90s, so the whole argument seems kind of lame to me. Probably manufacturers of electric glass-top stoves funding politicians, lol.

Old 07-23-2023, 11:43 AM

5,980 posts, read 7,395,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, it's popular to use as a political frisbee right now, but so many of us grew up with gas stoves, as did our parents and grandparents, and watched our mothers and grandmothers who cooked and baked things from scratch every day live into their 90s, so the whole argument seems kind of lame to me. Probably manufacturers of electric glass-top stoves funding politicians, lol.
Quite true, but until the last couple of decades the typical house "envelope" wasn't nearly as tight as they are now.

RM

Old 07-23-2023, 11:53 AM

8,521 posts, read 4,759,184 times
I never even got into the politics or the indoor air safety of gas stoves, I have never liked them from a user standpoint. Ban the stoves or not, I don’t particularly care as if I have my choice I’m choosing electric anyway. I happen to prefer the glass top ones as they’re easy to live with and look sleek. I’m not hot on induction as I don’t want to tie myself into having to verify what cookware will work on them. The coil top ranges are OK but are usually bottom-end models and I’ve found the ovens they come with are usually compromised quite a bit, or the controls are a bit low-rent, etc. I would take a coil as my runner-up choice if glass top weren’t available for some reason though.

Old 07-24-2023, 08:38 AM

37,644 posts, read 46,052,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Well, I think the traditional resistance heating Cal-Rod electric elements ("circular" spirals) are better in that they better withstand actual cooking behavior and the minor accidents that inevitably occur when actually using a stove to actually cook. Cleanup is dead easy as you just line the cup under the element with tin foil and discard that when it accumulates too much spilled material.

But I'm in the minority here in this forum; the vast majority of posters prefer the smooth glass top.
Line with foil? Egads man. That looks like shiite. Totally trailer-park. I had coil-top ranges for most of my life and I would never ever have even considered lining them with foil. I bought the enameled black porcelain/enameled pans and cleaned them regularly. Definitely a PITA though. But agree that the stainless top was absolutely the easiest top to clean, but then underneath that top - that could get pretty ugly is there was a bad spill. I'd never call it "dead easy". And it's just an ugly look.

Old 07-24-2023, 08:59 AM

4,553 posts, read 2,702,712 times
Well, I use my stove for cooking, not for looking.

Old 07-24-2023, 05:14 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,499,397 times
Have a gas stove and my mom's has electric. I actually prefer the electric, and it can boil water fairly quickly.

Clean up is just a spray with cleaner.

No real preference and wouldn't exclude houses based on stoves.

Old 07-24-2023, 05:33 PM

50,388 posts, read 64,062,004 times
I have a glass top cook top, and I had a glass top range previously. I like them. No scratching, no cracking, no problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate