Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2023, 01:18 PM

4,415 posts, read 4,938,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Lol. That’s BECAUSE it’s 18 years old.
They don’t make ‘em like they used to…
In my experience this is especially true when it comes to washing machines and refrigerators.
Total junk they are putting out now. Expensive junk too.
My damn washer has a check engine light. Junk.
It's called "planned obsolescence": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_obsolescence

We had an appliance repair guy out to fix our washer (extended warranty) and he explained that modern appliances are only engineered to last through the warranty period. After that, most repairs are more expensive than junking the appliance and replacing it.

In the wiki above it mentions efforts in the EU to criminalize planned obsolescence, as its needlessly filling up landfills and consuming the planet's resources for corporate profits. The EU also passed some regulation that made Apple's lightning charger and cable illegal. It serves no purpose a USB-C cable can't perform (it can also be inserted either way) and will reduce the amount of cables consumers need to buy and eventually throw away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2023, 08:46 PM

11,094 posts, read 6,693,583 times
We've had propane for the last 20 years. Does it have the same out-gassing problems? In any case, we now open windows and make sure there's cross-ventilation while cooking.

In our condo complex of only 15 units, there were 2 explosions from propane. Window blew out, stoves had to be replaced, one older lady was blown across the kitchen and DH had to help her up. Everyone else was scared to go in there.

Despite that, I love gas cooking. Never got used to electric of any kind. We had the glass top in a rental in Spain and I hated it. But I'm old and set in my ways, lol.

What is odd to me is that people prioritize cleaning. I never minded cleaning the gas range. No big deal.

Old 10-03-2023, 10:34 AM

13,723 posts, read 12,497,223 times
Quote:
Lol. That’s BECAUSE it’s 18 years old.
They don’t make ‘em like they used to…
In my experience this is especially true when it comes to washing machines and refrigerators.
Total junk they are putting out now. Expensive junk too.
My damn washer has a check engine light. Junk.
Disagree. Some stuff lasts, some stuff doesn't. That was the case 60 years ago and its the case now.

Old 10-03-2023, 04:22 PM

20,203 posts, read 20,983,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Disagree. Some stuff lasts, some stuff doesn't. That was the case 60 years ago and its the case now.
Of course you get what you pay for. There was junk built in the past. But even at that, you could repair it.
Now I have a check engine light for my washer and refrigerator. It’s ridiculous. Especially the washer. Look at it the wrong way and it gets offended and won’t work properly.

Old 10-04-2023, 08:01 AM

24,573 posts, read 18,363,201 times
I’m in a coastal Massachusetts town. Part of my search criteria in 2009 was availability of natural gas. I didn’t want oil heating and heat pump technology in 2009 was inadequate for New England. An electric range wouldn’t have been a deal killer if the house had natural gas. I gutted the living area of my house, moved around walls, and installed a new kitchen before I moved in.

Now? I’d consider an induction stovetop but I’d have to upgrade my electrical service from the street since I’m 100 amps and natural gas for everything.

Old 10-04-2023, 08:48 AM

13,723 posts, read 12,497,223 times
Quote:
Of course you get what you pay for. There was junk built in the past. But even at that, you could repair it.
Now I have a check engine light for my washer and refrigerator. It’s ridiculous. Especially the washer. Look at it the wrong way and it gets offended and won’t work properly.
I had the cheapest dishwasher at the store (I think.) $348 from Home Depot on their website as of today. Eventually it needed a new impeller or something. That was a $165 part IIRC, and I wasn't totally convinced of my own ability to replace it. So, the repair would have cost as much as the replacement.

We replaced it with a Thermador (Really a Bosch 800 series) that had been a floor model. It's probably around $1300 to replace. I'd pay the $300 repair bill on that.

For every washer that has enough computing power to get to the moon, there are much more analog ones available. Ditto Fridges.

Old 10-04-2023, 10:40 AM

1,686 posts, read 3,964,171 times
this is the second one I have had - apartments - and I really don't like them. the one i have now - the heating element isn't lined up properly with the outline and is sometimes difficult to use if I have multiple pans on the stove at the same time. I feel they are harder to keep clean - and I'm always concerned about dropping something and breaking the top. I don't feel like it cooks "properly". Since 2 of the burners are multiple pan sized - there isn't a real way to regulate the temperature. It's either too hot or not hot enough - not a true medium.

keeping it clean is challenging for me also, I've tried multiple "glass top cleaners" and I feel like its still dirty - film, greasy.

Old 10-04-2023, 11:43 AM

102,260 posts, read 108,277,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Had them for years. They're wonderful when it comes to keeping clean and containing spills. They're easy to care for and only require "hard" cleaning (razor blade/scraper) occasionally or if you're sloppy and don't clean it after each use - that's little more than wiping it off or hitting it with some Windex.
This pretty well sums it up. Certainly a revolution after coiled burners. The flat metal burners are an improvement over the coils, but can still be hard to clean if something boils over and gets caked on there. Glass is easier to clean.

Old 10-04-2023, 11:44 AM

102,260 posts, read 108,277,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
this is the second one I have had - apartments - and I really don't like them. the one i have now - the heating element isn't lined up properly with the outline and is sometimes difficult to use if I have multiple pans on the stove at the same time. I feel they are harder to keep clean - and I'm always concerned about dropping something and breaking the top. I don't feel like it cooks "properly". Since 2 of the burners are multiple pan sized - there isn't a real way to regulate the temperature. It's either too hot or not hot enough - not a true medium.

keeping it clean is challenging for me also, I've tried multiple "glass top cleaners" and I feel like its still dirty - film, greasy.
Doesn't dish soap work for that? It's designed to cut through grease.

Old 10-04-2023, 03:18 PM

4,415 posts, read 4,938,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I had the cheapest dishwasher at the store (I think.) $348 from Home Depot on their website as of today. Eventually it needed a new impeller or something. That was a $165 part IIRC, and I wasn't totally convinced of my own ability to replace it. So, the repair would have cost as much as the replacement.

We replaced it with a Thermador (Really a Bosch 800 series) that had been a floor model. It's probably around $1300 to replace. I'd pay the $300 repair bill on that.

For every washer that has enough computing power to get to the moon, there are much more analog ones available. Ditto Fridges.
EPA regulations pretty much made analog appliances illegal. The efficiency standards can't be met with an analog system. "Energy Star" models of anything are the worst. We made the mistake of buying an "energy star" refrigerator. One day it quit working- all of it. Fortunately we had a second fridge we could put most of our stuff into so between that and some coolers we didn't lose hundreds of dollars worth of food. The culprit? The light switch. The light switch failed in the "open" position, making the unit think the door was open when it was closed. The fridge is programmed to shut off if it thinks the door is open too long so it doesn't waste energy trying to work with an open door. If that wasn't bad enough, the fridge has another "feature" that sounds an alarm if the door is actually left open too long, but it only works if the switch hasn't failed, so the alarm didn't sound when the fridge quit working (made it harder to diagnose the problem).

I took the switch out so I could bypass it until a replacement arrived, and just removing it got the fridge running again, although the light didn't work because it thought the door was closed when it was open. But it's a good temporary fix to know if such a thing happens to anybody reading this.

So yeah.... the EPA thinks its better for a family to lose hundreds of dollars worth of food than a few cents of electricity.

Don't get me started on how they ruined gas cans... a solution looking for a problem that actually created the problem. I still can't believe they haven't rolled that back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate