Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2023, 10:28 AM

5,982 posts, read 7,408,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Wow totally disagree with that. It may be a simply wipe down after cooking say, toast. But any serious cooking, will spills and grease and whatnot...it's a scrub down with BKF or something similar. They are murder to keep truly clean (and I am relentless about a clean range top!), and after year or so of use, they completely lose that nice clean mar-free shine.

That said, I like the extra work surface it provides - for me, that completely makes up for the cleaning issue. It does look nicer than the old electric coils, that is for sure. And I don't like gas - so for me the glass top is the only choice.
And I with you.

I have a Maytag convection over/cooktop with a glass top that is over 10 years old and looks like new. I maybe have to take the abrasive cleaner out once a month to clean it, and it's used daily. Otherwise, in daily use it will get Windex on it after it's cooled and that's about it.

Of course, if there's a nasty baked-on spill it will take a razor blade and afterwards the abrasive cleaner, but that is the exception rather than the norm.

Maybe I'm just not as messy of a cook?

I have a high end GE Profile gas range in my house in AZ. It's a beautiful appliance and is quite nice, but it's a PITA to keep clean. When we transition there permanently it will get replaced with a Miele induction cooktop.

RM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2023, 02:18 PM

10,532 posts, read 7,067,480 times
Bought a Bosch Glass top a couple years ago to replace coils. I like it, the cleaning isn't fun but it looks pretty when done. If I had the choice, gas is king but glasstop has no real complaints about the cooling.

Old 07-19-2023, 03:54 PM

6,494 posts, read 10,390,522 times
Wow, I didn't know those induction countertops were so expensive. Good enough reason to keep using my glass countertop and if it breaks it is cheaper to replace. Too rich for my blood, I am much more of a microwave user anyway.

Old 07-19-2023, 04:58 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,609,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
What do buyers think of glass top stoves ? Are they popular ? I've read different viewpoints from people who use them (I personally don't like them) - but wonder if buyers want them or if they prefer something else. Gas is not an option for us. Tks
I don't know if mine is glass or shiny ceramic/enamel. It's about 20 yrs old & came w/the house. I hate it.

Over time the burners get damaged...they get tiny white spots that look like a film in some places. They can also be scratched (for example, from iron cookware). Hard water buildup is possible on them, too.

I prefer stoves that stand up to the use of heavy pots, iron skillets, etc......you know, cooking items.

The best is to have a stainless gas stove with heavy iron grates on top. Second is an enameled (ceramic or glass? Dunno) gas stove with heavy iron grates on top.

But I don't have gas. Would the old fashioned circular burners be better? They're not as attractive, but they hold up to actual use better.

Old 07-19-2023, 07:41 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,476,467 times
I used a glass top stove in one of two apartments when I lived in Germany. No problems. I don't recall seeing any gas stoves when I lived there. Here, I also have electric, but not glass-top. Next time I will likely buy a glass top, electric induction stove, and I would consider it favorably in searching for a house to buy.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the health risks of gas here.

According to Scientific American, "Gas stoves produce emissions that can harm human health and the environment."

"New York State has become the first state to pass a law banning gas stoves and other gas-powered appliances in new buildings, including houses and apartment buildings. The move is intended to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, but gas stoves also pose health risks, as this article published in January 2023 explains.
"

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...ves-explained/

Stanford scientists find the climate and health impacts of natural gas stoves are greater than previously thought.

"Natural gas stoves release methane – a potent greenhouse gas – and other pollutants through leaks and incomplete combustion. Stanford researchers estimate that methane leaking from stoves inside U.S. homes has the same climate impact as about 500,000 gasoline-powered cars and the stoves can expose people to respiratory disease-triggering pollutants."

https://news.stanford.edu/2022/01/27...g-cooking-gas/

Stanford researchers found that gas stoves emit far more methane than once thought, and most of the emissions occur while the stove is off. During combustion, stoves also emit dangerous levels of nitrogen oxides, a toxic air pollutant.

Last edited by SFBayBoomer; 07-19-2023 at 07:49 PM.. Reason: added comment re emissions occurring while the stove is off.

Old 07-19-2023, 07:41 PM

4,415 posts, read 4,929,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
What do buyers think of glass top stoves ? Are they popular ? I've read different viewpoints from people who use them (I personally don't like them) - but wonder if buyers want them or if they prefer something else. Gas is not an option for us. Tks
If gas is not an option what are the options? If glass top or coils are the only options, then glass top is preferred. I've had them both and don't like either one of them. Glass top is the better of two unwanted options.

I've never lived anywhere with natural gas. I'm on the fence about considering propane. I only had to use a gas range once to realize how much better they are, but I'm not thrilled about a cooking option that requires me to fetch the fuel for it myself. (Delivery is an option where I live, but not an affordable one).

Old 07-20-2023, 07:44 AM

4,591 posts, read 2,728,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I don't know if mine is glass or shiny ceramic/enamel. It's about 20 yrs old & came w/the house. I hate it.

Over time the burners get damaged...they get tiny white spots that look like a film in some places. They can also be scratched (for example, from iron cookware). Hard water buildup is possible on them, too.

I prefer stoves that stand up to the use of heavy pots, iron skillets, etc......you know, cooking items.

The best is to have a stainless gas stove with heavy iron grates on top. Second is an enameled (ceramic or glass? Dunno) gas stove with heavy iron grates on top.

But I don't have gas. Would the old fashioned circular burners be better? They're not as attractive, but they hold up to actual use better.
Well, I think the traditional resistance heating Cal-Rod electric elements ("circular" spirals) are better in that they better withstand actual cooking behavior and the minor accidents that inevitably occur when actually using a stove to actually cook. Cleanup is dead easy as you just line the cup under the element with tin foil and discard that when it accumulates too much spilled material.

But I'm in the minority here in this forum; the vast majority of posters prefer the smooth glass top.

Old 07-22-2023, 11:53 AM

4,415 posts, read 4,929,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Well, I think the traditional resistance heating Cal-Rod electric elements ("circular" spirals) are better in that they better withstand actual cooking behavior and the minor accidents that inevitably occur when actually using a stove to actually cook. Cleanup is dead easy as you just line the cup under the element with tin foil and discard that when it accumulates too much spilled material.

But I'm in the minority here in this forum; the vast majority of posters prefer the smooth glass top.
That's what we did. And even if the drip pans get nasty you can replace them for about $16:

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-F...f_=as_li_ss_tl

Or if you're in a pinch, you can clean up the old ones pretty easily with oven cleaner. You can also use oven cleaner on glass-top stoves, but it tends to etch the glass making it more likely to look dirty in the future. It's better to wait to use it when the other cleaners and techniques no longer work, because once you go down the oven cleaner path there doesn't seem to be any turning back. Our range is old enough the only way to make it look clean is to scrub it with a sponge, then use oven cleaner, and then polish it with a compound or a magic eraser. It still doesn't look new, but it could fool somebody from across the room.

Old 07-23-2023, 07:41 AM

88,689 posts, read 85,035,510 times
I had glass-top stoves where I was living in Ontario. I was not thrilled, but here at home in NJ, I have a gas stove, so I was spoiled by that. When you are used to actual flame, every electrical system seems wrong.

The glass top was not that hard to clean, though.

Old 07-23-2023, 09:53 AM

24,678 posts, read 11,011,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I had glass-top stoves where I was living in Ontario. I was not thrilled, but here at home in NJ, I have a gas stove, so I was spoiled by that. When you are used to actual flame, every electrical system seems wrong.

The glass top was not that hard to clean, though.
Absolutely and I use the open flame without pot/pan almost daily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate