Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2023, 05:53 PM

6,562 posts, read 8,398,266 times

Advertisements

As a consumer, calling it a master, a primary or even the main bedroom all means the same - the bedroom that best accommodates the homeowner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2023, 06:06 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,981,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
As a consumer, calling it a master, a primary or even the main bedroom all means the same - the bedroom that best accommodates the homeowner.
I've also heard it called homeowner's bedroom.

Old 09-30-2023, 06:44 PM

6,562 posts, read 8,398,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Yeah this is a rant. But I have never heard legit arguments only theoretically valued ones. What do people in real estate honestly think? And is it worth confusingly modifying etymology of language?
Language is ever evolving. And the English language is already confusing.

Why is the plural of goose geese? But the plural of moose is moose?

The words live, read, and wind have two different pronunciations & two different meanings.

Changing the phrase master bedroom to primary bedroom is about the least confusing change possible. Especially when there are a number of phrases RE agents are advised to steer clear of to avoid being accused of violating fair housing laws. Do you know an agent should not say the neighborhood a home is located in is safe? That a home is located near churches?

In reality, I think you’re offended because a segment of our society finds the word master (as in property owner) offensive and your reasonings presented just a smokescreen.

Last edited by HokieFan; 09-30-2023 at 07:02 PM..

Old 09-30-2023, 07:47 PM

732 posts, read 603,079 times
Quote:
In reality, I think you’re offended because a segment of our society finds the word master (as in property owner) offensive and your reasonings presented just a smokescreen.
I think people just reflexively don't like feeling corrected. I didn't like the change from Master to Primary when I first heard it because I didn't want to have change what I'm used to. However, I do get that "master bedroom" sounds creepy on more levels than just the horrid inference of slavery. People say there are "master carpenters" and that's true and refers to mastery of a craft or skill. Master bedroom can only be referring to the master's bedroom, and the only time that reference is made to a person absent any mention of a skill set is when that person is the master of servants or slaves. You don't hear teachers referred to as schoolmasters anymore. Yuck. So, yeah, I'm glad it's falling out of use, but I still use it out of habit. I don't think it matters that I do and I probably will continue to for some time (out of habit), but for the real estate industry to stop using it and to help along that cultural change... yeah, I think it's a good thing. But individually I don't care a lick what people choose to say. Why should I?

Old 09-30-2023, 07:50 PM

7,788 posts, read 8,032,105 times
so is the primary bathroom in the home owners bedroom now,sounds weird

Old 09-30-2023, 08:23 PM

17,537 posts, read 39,154,399 times
Heh - I refer to the main bedroom in my home as "The Queen's Suite". LOL yeah, I'm the "queen."

Old 09-30-2023, 08:26 PM

22,208 posts, read 19,238,916 times
when i sold my older 4-bedroom home (i lived there with my 3 young sons), to a couple with one child, they gave their daughter the master bedrrom, and they chose to remodel and have a wall knocked out to combine two smaller bedrooms into a single room, for the parents to use.

Old 09-30-2023, 08:29 PM

22,208 posts, read 19,238,916 times
Quote:
i know when i was single and lived in a high cost of living area and was looking to share a home, many of hte people who owned homes and were renting out part of their home to renters (people like me) the "homeowners" chose to have the master bedroom and bath be what they rented out. Because they could fetch a higher rent, and because it gave the renters more privacy. and those made it a more desirable and easier to rent room in their home.

Old 09-30-2023, 09:43 PM

6,873 posts, read 4,873,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Now that all the residential homes are advertised using the phrase “primary bedroom” instead of master bedroom, what do consumers think?

I personally think that it was totally unnecessary. We have master planned communities. Master chefs. Master of ceremonies. 99% of USA english speakers know the definition.

And a primary bedroom implies it is either the first used, or the parental sleep room, or the couple’s private space, or perhaps the solo owner’s largest bedroom.

But even those identities could be wrong. For example friends of mine chose a smaller bedroom for the couple because they wanted to wake up to their ocean view. The master bedroom is elsewhere. Ditto parents who gave the twins their master bedroom when they became students needing in room study desks.

Yeah this is a rant. But I have never heard legit arguments only theoretically valued ones. What do people in real estate honestly think? And is it worth confusingly modifying etymology of language?
I think people understand that it's the largest bedroom no matter what it's called. I'm in the market for a new house. I think I will just tell my realtor I want the big bedroom on the first floor. I am sure they will know what I mean. I did see a home with the primary master en suite on the first floor, but it had an even bigger bedroom on the second. No en suite tho.

Old 09-30-2023, 10:18 PM

8,505 posts, read 4,750,085 times
Well, kind of the way I feel about weird terms like “water feature” or “window treatments”, it’s a weird term that the Better Homes and Gardens crowd used to feel better about themselves. I myself won’t use it, although I have to admit that the first time I heard it, I wasn’t sure what it meant or whether maybe it meant a place maybe had some type of egalitarian bedrooms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate