Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2023, 06:37 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,400,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
i know when i was single and lived in a high cost of living area and was looking to share a home, many of hte people who owned homes and were renting out part of their home to renters (people like me) the "homeowners" chose to have the master bedroom and bath be what they rented out. Because they could fetch a higher rent, and because it gave the renters more privacy. and those made it a more desirable and easier to rent room in their home.
So calling it the “master bedroom” was a misnomer because the master of the house didn’t occupy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2023, 06:53 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,812,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Most consumers don't care. My older clients call it the master and ask for a "master on the main" and that is fine. Younger people call it the primary bedroom. I'm not going to correct an 80-year-old on their word choice after they have been calling it that forever. I'm fine calling it the primary bedroom. I'm fine calling it the master if that is what my clients call it.
I hear owners suite more than master or primary. It’s all the same so call it whatever you prefer.

Old 10-01-2023, 08:09 AM

2,277 posts, read 1,673,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Don't some folks have wakes, aka pre funeral, in the living room where the casket is temporarily displayed? Seems like a lost opportunity to rename that room.
Those rooms were called the parlor. My great grandparents had a front parlor for visitors and a back parlor for wakes in their farmhouse. There was a very wide door in the back of the room so the coffin could fit through.

I am old enough to remember in-house wakes with an open coffin. Friends and neighbors brought food for a huge buffet and it was the custom for some people to sit up up all night with the body (disrespectful to leave the deceased alone). I remember one elderly Irish lady quietly taking down mirrors in the area so the spirit/soul would not get confused but fly freely to their heavenly destination.

Sorry to be OT ~

Old 10-01-2023, 08:10 AM

20,060 posts, read 20,872,330 times
In my home, it is referred to as the “Kings Chambers”.
Because, I am the king of my castle.

Old 10-01-2023, 09:49 AM

7,841 posts, read 3,836,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Why do we call rooms without windows “windowless,” but not windowed rooms windowfull? English is a funny language.
Funny indeed.

"Pre" means coming before, while "Post" means coming afterwards; to use both in the same word would be... preposterous.

Old 10-01-2023, 09:54 AM

7,841 posts, read 3,836,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
In my home, it is referred to as the “Kings Chambers”.
Because, I am the king of my castle.
But are you master of your domain? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Contest

Old 10-01-2023, 10:11 AM

6,381 posts, read 5,501,958 times
There seems to be an assumption, among some groups of people, that "master bedroom" has been made "illegal" to say and that primary bedroom is now the "mandatory" way to refer to such a room....

That is not the case.

There is no mandatory term nor is "master bedroom" disallowed (at least in my local MLS; it is actually still the name used for measurement input)

The reality is that "Master Bedroom" has just become a somewhat antiquated term that is fading in use. Similar to how you more often hear/read "half-bath" instead of "powder room"; "office/study/flex space" instead of "den" or "parlor", etc.

But in a fairly ironic (though at this point no longer surprising) fashion; many people of a particular ideological bent are triggered by the change and complain about it being part of the "woke agenda"....because...of course.

FWIW in my own listings I generally refer to the largest bedroom in a home and/or the one with the en-suite bathroom as the "main bedroom". Sounds more modern than "master", doesn't trigger people the way "primary" seems to; and MOST importantly....takes up less characters in that precious 1000 character limit our MLS has than either of those other terms

Last edited by TarHeelNick; 10-01-2023 at 10:22 AM..

Old 10-01-2023, 10:15 AM

2,106 posts, read 3,013,928 times
It's still a master bedroom.
Don't like it, too bad.

Old 10-01-2023, 10:23 AM

6,486 posts, read 10,360,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
But are you master of your domain?
That reminds me of an episode of "Seinfeld".

Old 10-01-2023, 10:37 AM

4,031 posts, read 3,644,565 times
I imagine there was this type of resistance amongst the whites when it was first suggested they should stop using the n-word
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate