Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2023, 04:03 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,908,923 times

Advertisements

I remember touring a neighbor's house and commented how much I liked their hardwood floors.

Without skipping a beat, she told me it was a soft wood. Why? She could have just said nothing or accepted the compliment without correcting me. Up until that time a wood floor to me was always called a "hardwood floor". Unless it's made out of cork I don't see any reason to turn a compliment or observation into a learning opportunity about wood strength.

Of course, nowadays for most homes it would be "laminate" or something cheaper.

"Master" is a noun, a verb, and an adjective. The root word of "master" is the Latin word magister, which means "chief, teacher, leader". Magister is derived from the Proto-Indo-European root word méǵh₂s, which means "great".

But the "great room" is a large, open living space that typically combines the functions of a living room, dining room, and family room.

JMHO, but I've never heard the term "master bedroom" and thought of anything racist or sexist. The "master of the house" to me has always translated to where the head of the household sleeps. Who's the head of the household? The person who gets to choose the largest/nicest room. In some families, that can be a teenager.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2023, 04:57 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,564,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I wonder if this is a regionalism…I’ve always heard them called hardwood floors if it’s genuine wood, even if it’s not something otherwise considered a true hardwood (pine, for instance). But you now at least have me thinking.
They're always called "hardwood floors" around here. Given that most vintage wooden flooring around here is red or white oak, it's an accurate term.

That being said, a HUGE peeve of mine is when flippers go into a house with perfectly decent vintage hardwood floors then proceed to put down "luxury" vinyl plank instead of having the floors brought back to life if necessary. I'm in a real estate adjacent line of work and see more houses than even the busiest of realtors, so I see a lot of great, okay, and what-the-actual-heck work done on various properties be they owner-occupied rehabs or flips. I always do an inward happy dance when I see that the owner has left the floors intact as they're both beautiful and timeless even if they've been refinished with a different stain that what was orignial.

So on the original topic: it's a mixed bag as to what RE agents are calling the big bedroom with the attached bath these days. The younger ones nearly always call it the "primary" bedroom/suite, the older ones can go either way, but the black agents with whom I work always call it the "master." *shrugs* Me? I go by whatever term the agent or homeowner is calling that space as it's best to let them call the shots on that one rather than potentially get in a battle of semantics with clients.

Old 10-01-2023, 06:24 PM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Too true. And the alternative, Balsa wood floors?
Technically, there are hardwoods and soft woods. Pine is a soft wood, and heart pine is used for flooring. And what about bamboo? It’s used for floors and it’s not even wood, it’s grass. Anyway, I don’t give a flying fig. I just say wood floor, and so does everyone I know.

Old 10-01-2023, 06:57 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,910,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00molavi View Post
Not related to housing, but the secondary clutch cylinder/hydraulic pump on manual transmission cars is still listed as "Slave Cylinder" in auto parts website. (Moderator, please cut if you have to).

I never thought much of it until I needed one, walk into the parts store and there comes the stuttering.
Plumbing parts have sexual connotations.

Nipple
Coupling
Male
Female

Quote:
That reminds me of an episode of "Seinfeld".
Reminds me of George Carlin's monologue on euphemisms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuEQixrBKCc

Old 10-01-2023, 08:22 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,908,923 times
The electronics industry pivoted away from using the master/slave descriptors for how hard drives were configured I think as far back as the late 1990's. The following "article" discusses some of it, but I seem to recall a lawsuit being filed against a private company (not a hard drive manufacturer) because a single employee was triggered by it.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/masterslave/

Old 10-01-2023, 08:58 PM

8,504 posts, read 4,747,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
The electronics industry pivoted away from using the master/slave descriptors for how hard drives were configured I think as far back as the late 1990's. The following "article" discusses some of it, but I seem to recall a lawsuit being filed against a private company (not a hard drive manufacturer) because a single employee was triggered by it.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/masterslave/
It was used a lot later than that. Circa 2005/6/7ish I put a hard drive into a computer tower. I’m not computer-savvy so I looked it up, and I don’t remember seeing anything besides “master/slave” drive for how to push the pins and assign each drive its role. It’s kind of insidious, I’ll admit. But that’s also not quite like master bedroom; there’s no slave bedroom so for me, “master” is absolved of its worst attributes in this context, because it’s a mastery, or “perfection” of something inanimate, like a chef’s perfection of skill, a watchmaker’s ability to combine exquisite quality with exceptional complexity, or a freeclimber’s ability to stay cool and use any surface or situation to their advantage.

Old 10-01-2023, 09:21 PM

8,504 posts, read 4,747,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Plumbing parts have sexual connotations.

Nipple
Coupling
Male
Female

Reminds me of George Carlin's monologue on euphemisms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuEQixrBKCc
Ah, George Carlin.

I hate to make the pun, but…he’s a master class in what comedy should be. Funny, offensive, punchy, and TIMELESS. I saw a comedian who’s probably better known for movies than stand-up last night. You’d all know his name. He’s such a graceful and wonderful human that I won’t say his name…but when he got political, it was picked up off of a news network. It wasn’t original or gutsy or slick. And it put me off.

Anyhow…relating that back to the topic, it does feel like Carlin’s idea of sanitizing language, but in this case it’s reaching out to a word which has more meaning than just the one relating to slavery. Mastery is not the same as being a master.

Old 10-02-2023, 06:40 AM

8,080 posts, read 7,448,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
The electronics industry pivoted away from using the master/slave descriptors for how hard drives were configured I think as far back as the late 1990's. ...
I'm not sure if I've heard it recently (since I'm not triggered by it) but we also refer to a computer terminal's dedicated printer as the "slave printer".

Also back in the 90's when I designed a piece of software I used the term Master and Slave Contracts. That terminology is still used in the database thought the GUI uses different terminology now. So far, no lawsuits.

Old 10-02-2023, 09:26 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,157,534 times
Quote:
Don't some folks have wakes, aka pre funeral, in the living room where the casket is temporarily displayed? Seems like a lost opportunity to rename that room.
They used to call rooms in older houses where guests were received, and I thought where deceased family members in their caskets were displayed, " parlors" . If I recall, this room was kept strsightened up, not used every day, so it would not have been the living room.

Old 10-02-2023, 10:14 AM

6,380 posts, read 5,500,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
They used to call rooms in older houses where guests were received, and I thought where deceased family members in their caskets were displayed, " parlors" . If I recall, this room was kept strsightened up, not used every day, so it would not have been the living room.
Correct. Another term that just faded away because it sounded antiquated. Same thing that is happening with Master Bedroom now...yet you didn't hear anyone making a fuss about calling the front room a sitting room/study/flex space instead of "parlor" and ardently insist they'd still call it a parlor to "stick it to the woke crowd" ....

I remember half-baths being called "powder rooms" as a kid in the 90s/early 2000s and very rarely hear that anymore. The phrase "half-bath" doesn't seem to get nearly the reaction that "primary bedroom" gets either....despite the same general transition of terminology occuring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate