Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2024, 04:13 PM

106,695 posts, read 108,880,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
Most tiny homes seem to be built on wheels. This makes them "mobile homes" at best or more commonly hearabouts, as trailers (RV's). In NH one would be looking north of Concord for locating any size mobile home. "Trailer homes" are not permitted for full time occupancy anywhere in this state.
Permitting can depend on which township too.
now that’s weird .

imagine having a house on wheels that’s mobile and two cars on the front lawn that aren’t ….

you may be a redneck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2024, 04:15 PM

45,411 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Most tiny homes seem to be built on wheels. This makes them "mobile homes" at best or more commonly hearabouts, as trailers (RV's). In NH one would be looking north of Concord for locating any size mobile home. "Trailer homes" are not permitted for full time occupancy anywhere in this state.
More like travel trailers on steroids, which are really not allowed most places except in RV parks.

EDIT: Which I now see you said.

Last edited by North Beach Person; 02-17-2024 at 04:47 PM..

Old 02-17-2024, 04:16 PM

106,695 posts, read 108,880,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
More like travel trailers on steroids, which are really not allowed most places except in RV parks.
imagine going downstairs to the basement and looking up and seeing axels

Old 02-17-2024, 07:06 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
I recently had this thought of buying a large chuck of land and building tiny home subdivisions on it and having rentable lots for people to bring their own tiny homes. I'm guessing cities won't allow this for some reason, and that's why you don't see it? Also its probably more efficient to build apartments or a regular size house per unit of land due to the cost of that land.
What kind of land are you developing......taking away?

This concept is exactly my fear of what people want to do to my ranch, buy it from me when I am alive or it being sold by my heirs when I am dead. Take my ten acres from being a nature preserve and turn it into 1/4 acre lots with people squeezed in like sardines.......trees and animals be damned!

Now, there may not be laws and ordinances against that, but that is my way of thinking no matter how much money is offered for my land. Further, there are those who believe that we cut down too many trees for development......and a tiny home division sounds like it would do exactly that.

Old 02-17-2024, 07:27 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,991,425 times
Other than the already mentioned potential issues, do people that want to live in tiny homes want to be jammed in next to their neighbors? My impression of tiny home people is they want space around them but don't need much actual house.

Old 02-18-2024, 06:09 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,804,762 times
A small community of 450 to 800 sq ft cluster homes utilizing a common well and appropriately-designed septic system could be built in areas where land is more plentiful. In New England many parts of VT, NH, and ME as well as western MA and eastern CT could work. The same holds true for numerous other places across the country. Today's job structure where more remote and hybrid work opportunities exist makes this a more attractive option for many workers. It also would provide more affordable opportunities for younger workers who want to stay in the area and find employment in retail, service or other employment focused on the immediate area.

Some of the housing shortage is more due to the lack of desirable housing versus affordable housing. Some young buyers are unwilling to follow the path that many of their parents followed such as living in a small 4 or 5 room 600 to 800 WWII workforce home and moving up. They want the upgraded house as their first home.

Old 02-18-2024, 06:31 AM

1,871 posts, read 844,665 times
like someone said, septic. it takes a certain amount of land to handle each septic, so 150 units on ten acres, the soil might only be good for five unit per ten acres, not all area have a sewer system. aslo with building codes, maybe they dont want people living in home depot sheds

Old 02-18-2024, 06:44 AM

9,457 posts, read 5,225,471 times
Quote:
This is what I think, having tried to research this a few months back.
If the tiny homes were 'stationary' (no wheels, not movable) there might be a possibility of establishing a 'community.' (developer purchases land for just such a purpose). But then I think that negates the perceived benefit of a tiny home, that you can move it from location to location AND there is no property tax on it if it can be moved (as far as I know).

I like the idea of a tiny house community, but with space around each structure, so they do NOT look like a trailer park one on top of the other. Maybe in the future.

How about a yurt?

Old 02-18-2024, 07:46 AM

20,664 posts, read 4,433,674 times
Why aren't there more tiny home communities?

$$, location, laws, etc.

Here are some to check out:

https://www.bobvila.com/articles/tin...e-communities/

https://www.way.com/blog/tiny-home-c...es-in-florida/

https://tinyliving.com/communities/

https://www.homedit.com/tiny-home-communities/

https://www.greatlakestinyhome.com/w...w-tiny-houses/

Old 02-18-2024, 07:56 AM

43,299 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Location, location, location.
Where land is cheap, it is usually because not many people want to live there for various reasons.
In hotly desired locations, land is not cheap.
Read up on "Impermeable Surface Requirements," which are becoming more common for planning and development. It may be more and more difficult to increase impermeable surfaces to cram more units, and the pavement and patios and canopies and awnings that go with them.

Accessory Dwelling Units, "ADUs," are picking up with zoning revisions. Tiny houses are one approach.
I have .33 acre, in a neighborhood of .26--.5 acre lots, average just about .33. The protections in place to assure those lot sizes and the attendant privacy, both zoning and deed covenants, were part of my reasoning and motivation.
If my neighbors were to invite senior members or extended family into their homes to live, I would be fine with that.
If they were to park tiny homes in the back yard to bring more housing to market along with traffic, I would be less fine with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate