Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2024, 09:31 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
I recently had this thought of buying a large chuck of land and building tiny home subdivisions on it and having rentable lots for people to bring their own tiny homes. I'm guessing cities won't allow this for some reason, and that's why you don't see it? Also its probably more efficient to build apartments or a regular size house per unit of land due to the cost of that land.
They're called "manufactured home communities" or alternatively, trailer parks or RV campgrounds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2024, 09:38 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Trailer/mobile home parks and RV campgrounds are two different things.

Old 02-19-2024, 12:14 PM

17,280 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Few people wish to live in a tiny house.
^^^^^ this and the price per square foot is exorbitant when you factor in the land prep costs (sewer/power/water/gas).

On a 3000 sq ft house the utilities set up costs are fine but when you are expecting a cheap little house the "costs" explode when its a 35,000 house but the utilities cost 50K to get set up!

Car parking is a significant "glitch" on a tiny home idea.

Old 02-19-2024, 03:29 PM

1,861 posts, read 837,121 times
we got a not little but maybe 150 patio home sundivion. its nice cute clean, house are very close like 1/8 acres but its clean, sidewalk, parks, central mailbox. ts nice but then all the cars and boats came in, friend coming over, parking in the street people work cars and trucks. on the weekend, so many cars, you cant get through there. it be nice if they did away with the cars, maybe an alley or off site parking. all the house have garages, but everybody has three four cars.

maybe just golf carts, like that place in florida, the villages

Old 02-19-2024, 03:46 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b29510 View Post
we got a not little but maybe 150 patio home sundivion. its nice cute clean, house are very close like 1/8 acres but its clean, sidewalk, parks, central mailbox. ts nice but then all the cars and boats came in, friend coming over, parking in the street people work cars and trucks. on the weekend, so many cars, you cant get through there. it be nice if they did away with the cars, maybe an alley or off site parking. all the house have garages, but everybody has three four cars.

maybe just golf carts, like that place in florida, the villages
Well, that may be another thing of why there is not. This is America, who wants to live like they were Japanese? Or some example of "the Village" from The Prisoner.

Quite frankly, I can't see the attraction of golf carts. In relation to our discussion, they do have the advantage of why would one want to haul a half year's supplies of groceries back if they had no place to put it in the house to begin with.

Maybe tiny houses are all in the mind but that mind is not American.

Old 02-20-2024, 07:48 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
NIMBYs are the main reason. Since the current tiny home villages are housing for the homeless, they carry a very negative reputation with drugs and crime. Try changing the zoning and the required land use change sign will attract many neighbors to protest at the city council meetings. In Seattle and Tacoma these have been built in vacant commercial/industrial areas and even those had a struggle with opposition from neighboring residents.

Old 02-20-2024, 07:54 AM

4,510 posts, read 2,651,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
I recently had this thought of buying a large chuck of land and building tiny home subdivisions on it and having rentable lots for people to bring their own tiny homes. I'm guessing cities won't allow this for some reason, and that's why you don't see it? Also its probably more efficient to build apartments or a regular size house per unit of land due to the cost of that land.
So, a trailer park!

Old 02-20-2024, 07:58 AM

4,510 posts, read 2,651,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Tiny homes aren't allowed in MOST municipalities; that's the dirty little secret of the tiny home craze that they never reveal and why, at the end of those tiny home shows, they always end up "in my parents' back yard for now," and a lot of young people probably "illegally" live there. You can legally keep them in RV parks, but who wants to live there? In my city, new construction or pre-build must be at least 1500 sf and on a permanent foundation, and that's typical. Most cities and towns don't want to end up being Shantytowns. Personally, I could absolutely live in 500 sf or so, but a condo is as close as you can get.
Yes, the hipster tiny house basically works because they put it in Mom and Dad's backyard, so they can shower, do laundry, cook anything bigger than boiling an egg, store out of season clothing, etc., in Mom and Dad's house. Not independent.

It's basically a non-functional fad way for people to experience minimalistic living for a short while.

Old 02-20-2024, 10:13 AM

7,486 posts, read 3,219,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
What kind of land are you developing......taking away?

This concept is exactly my fear of what people want to do to my ranch, buy it from me when I am alive or it being sold by my heirs when I am dead. Take my ten acres from being a nature preserve and turn it into 1/4 acre lots with people squeezed in like sardines.......trees and animals be damned!

Now, there may not be laws and ordinances against that, but that is my way of thinking no matter how much money is offered for my land. Further, there are those who believe that we cut down too many trees for development......and a tiny home division sounds like it would do exactly that.

Leave the land to an agency that will preserve it. Family will just cash it in to highest bidder.

"Miss Potter" on Amazon Prime right now... ...she bought up all the land and left a nature preserve (saved the land and animals from developers).

Old 02-20-2024, 03:51 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Yes, the hipster tiny house basically works because they put it in Mom and Dad's backyard, so they can shower, do laundry, cook anything bigger than boiling an egg, store out of season clothing, etc., in Mom and Dad's house. Not independent.

It's basically a non-functional fad way for people to experience minimalistic living for a short while.
It's basically a kid's playhouse, only the kids are bigger now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate