Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2024, 04:26 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,365,693 times

Advertisements

In Flagstaff, the city worked with a developer to set up just what is described by the OP. A "tiny home village" of sorts.

https://livesmall.net

Understand that a "cheap" house in Flagstaff is $500k. And that's at or near the bottom of the proverbial barrel. Demand for affordable housing is paramount to the community as a result of this. Development is limited due to the surrounding area being National Forest lands.

That said, one of those tiny houses, of which they appear to be quite nice, are around $200k to start.

RM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2024, 11:15 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,524,546 times
A link to my tiny home/park model experience. Tiny Home

There are a few pictures further down in the thread. It's late. I'll post more about it tomorrow.

Old 02-21-2024, 01:28 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,107,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OPRFmama View Post
They’re sprouting up, but not in abundance yet — I’m excited for the potential. To your question on why they haven’t become more popular: exclusionary R1 zoning laws and minimum lot & building sizes in place for many municipalities, plus probably NIMBYs.

https://youtu.be/4TCYjw88JSY?si=_Abi5QuUJ8IpOcmc

https://youtu.be/i7TnrbMCLGY?si=rv41hNIpNzU0tBG-

https://youtu.be/R0Zc8FNeQ4A?si=TRVUZWXs3X6-Brc5

I don't think most people would consider those as tiny homes. They are quite large. They are also likely to be very expensive due to the well-kempt/high maintenance grounds and older/higher income demographic.

Chances are, tiny home communities will end up looking more like this

https://youtu.be/riu_aV5tzqc?si=y0nbeHMGrQndmZOS

Old 02-21-2024, 09:59 AM

2,170 posts, read 1,952,385 times
Like everything else... MONEY.

Real estate developers make more profit on larger homes. If they are thinking about a "tiny house" community because of demand in the area for smaller properties they'll just build condos or townhomes. Cuts down on the cost to build and can likely sell for the same price.

Old 02-21-2024, 10:46 AM

9,974 posts, read 5,669,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
I don't think most people would consider those as tiny homes. They are quite large. They are also likely to be very expensive due to the well-kempt/high maintenance grounds and older/higher income demographic.

Chances are, tiny home communities will end up looking more like this

https://youtu.be/riu_aV5tzqc?si=y0nbeHMGrQndmZOS
On the one hand, I get there's a desperate need for affordable entry-level housing... on the other, this development will almost certainly be straight-up 'hood within a decade.

Old 02-21-2024, 12:38 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
On the one hand, I get there's a desperate need for affordable entry-level housing... on the other, this development will almost certainly be straight-up 'hood within a decade.
I don't know, that video doesn't give me much confidence......with that carbine mounted right behind the bald guy at the start of the video.

More to the point in that there are no trees for these homes and no room to put in trees......AND THIS IS TEXAS with Texas heat. Long ago, when I was looking for my first apartment after my time in the dorms was up, it was the places that had no trees around that looked the most dreariest to me.

Old 02-24-2024, 08:52 AM

7,430 posts, read 4,672,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monello View Post
A link to my tiny home/park model experience. Tiny Home

There are a few pictures further down in the thread. It's late. I'll post more about it tomorrow.
I like your house...it's nicely sized. I have a small condo in Philippines at 350sqf. It is a studio that I converted to a 1 BR for privacy. Quite tight even for me who loves tiny homes but it's the only one I can afford back in the days as that was also my first purchase. It has a killer view though that always stop me from selling it.

I think a 1BR 650-800sqf is my sweet spot that is why when I saw your 650sqf house it piqued my interest.

Old 02-24-2024, 12:55 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
"Why aren't there more tiny home communities?"

Acceptance.

However, there's a certain generation amongst us that may go for dinky houses with a garden, instead of a place that one can walk from room to room to room, without getting rained on.

Old 02-25-2024, 05:58 PM

486 posts, read 653,607 times
There's a tiny home community in Flat Rock, NC, a suburb of Hendersonville. The homes start at $169,000 for 400 square feet, 1 bedroom, 1 bath, and start at $229,000 for 540 square feet, 2 bedroom, 1 bath.

https://simple-life.com/communities/...na/the-hamlet/

Lot rent is $687 a month. This includes use of the pool and clubhouse, water, lawn care, etc., but not electric or cable/internet. Pets are allowed. I thought it was 55+, but they don't mention an age range on their website so you could end up with a bunch of kids next door. Some of the homes have carports, most do not.

House prices in the Hendersonville area are ridiculously high, but 400 square feet is the size of a 2-car garage so you're paying over $400 a square foot for a trailer on a lot you don't own, and they can raise the lot rent every year to whatever they want.

There's one mobile home park in Hendersonville that the lot rent just went to $1100 a month from $435. The park was bought out by a large conglomerate and they almost tripled the rent in one year. Homes in there are selling as low as $15,000 and they can't give them away.

Old 02-27-2024, 07:50 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaHappy View Post
There's one mobile home park in Hendersonville that the lot rent just went to $1100 a month from $435. The park was bought out by a large conglomerate and they almost tripled the rent in one year. Homes in there are selling as low as $15,000 and they can't give them away.
Yikes! Yes, it's scary not to own the land your house -- tiny, mobile, or whatever -- is sitting on. No control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate