Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2024, 10:42 PM

62,280 posts, read 88,157,996 times

Advertisements

Lots of land and a pool. Where is the house?

I thought - perhaps some fancy bunker underground, but no...

So, you get 5 acres, a charming gate and a pool (filled with water!), only. Plus permits for a 6-bedroom estate
Someone prematurely ran out of money?

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...15814976_zpid/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2024, 08:31 AM

14,752 posts, read 12,415,487 times
Well, it would be a good way to cool off in the afternoons while working on the house!

Old 05-19-2024, 09:22 AM

190 posts, read 310,270 times
That may actually be a good price for 5 acres in the prime wine growing region. Often times homes may be sold and quickly demolished for building new homes by buyers in parts of prime Bay Area CA. We see this happening.

Old 05-19-2024, 02:10 PM

2,542 posts, read 2,825,781 times
I'd want to know the output of the well before I proceeded any further. And I wonder how long that pool was empty. The paint on the retaining wall is very worn. Other than the view I don't find the land all that thrilling. I'd keep looking but then I'm more of a valley/flat land person than a hill-topper. Odd priorities - who puts a pool on an undeveloped piece of land all by itself? How has it been maintained? I agree with the OP that someone ran out of money.

I do know the neighborhood, specifically Chalk Hill Road, by the way. Not for me. But someone will be taken by the location and the view. I'll try to remember to follow it and see what the closing price is. It may take awhile.

Oh, and those gates . . . readily available at the local fencing supplier. I was expecting custom wrought-iron gates with stone pillars or something equally impressive. Not ordinary farm gates.

Old 05-19-2024, 02:42 PM

I think it looks like there has been a fire. They demoed the house and cleaned it up but there's lots of blackened trees around. The paved driveway shape indicates buildings that are no longer there. They decided to sell it as is so the buyer could put in their own house.

On edit... here's an interesting thing.... the current google earth 3D rendering still has the house there, and it does look like there was a fire. The flat image of the ground looks like it is after the fire, but the 3D renderings of the buildings and the trees are still there. Interesting glitch of things updating at different times. (updated again with screencapture before google maps updates again and it's lost)

https://earth.google.com/web/search/...K5nMRewDoDCgEw
Attached Thumbnails
Another gem on Zillow-screenshot-2024-05-19-14.27.05.png  

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 05-19-2024 at 03:30 PM..

Old 05-19-2024, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I think it looks like there has been a fire. They demoed the house and cleaned it up but there's lots of blackened trees around. The paved driveway shape indicates buildings that are no longer there. They decided to sell it as is so the buyer could put in their own house.

On edit... here's an interesting thing.... the current google earth 3D rendering still has the house there, and it does look like there was a fire. The flat image of the ground looks like it is after the fire, but the 3D renderings of the buildings and the trees are still there. Interesting glitch of things updating at different times. (updated again with screencapture before google maps updates again and it's lost)

https://earth.google.com/web/search/...K5nMRewDoDCgEw
Great sleuthing! Thank you! Now of course I can see it on the OG photos. The scorched earth/ashen look of the soil, the old footprints of the former structures and the grubby concrete decking around the pool. Makes perfect sense.

My uncle lost his house in the Cedar Fire in Julian (San Diego County) in 2003. He did the same thing and sold the cleaned-up barren land. He was in his 80's at the time and wasn't going to undertake a rebuild.

Does that look like a bison in the adjacent field next to the driveway on the current listing photos? Or am I seeing things?

Old 05-19-2024, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
Great sleuthing! Thank you! Now of course I can see it on the OG photos. The scorched earth/ashen look of the soil, the old footprints of the former structures and the grubby concrete decking around the pool. Makes perfect sense.

My uncle lost his house in the Cedar Fire in Julian (San Diego County) in 2003. He did the same thing and sold the cleaned-up barren land. He was in his 80's at the time and wasn't going to undertake a rebuild.
Yeah - particularly if you know you want to move. Let someone else put in the house they want.

Quote:
Does that look like a bison in the adjacent field next to the driveway on the current listing photos? Or am I seeing things?
No it's a bison .... not altogether uncommon... My neighbor had them, until recently.

Old 05-19-2024, 04:10 PM

12,318 posts, read 6,434,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Yeah - particularly if you know you want to move. Let someone else put in the house they want.

No it's a bison .... not altogether uncommon... My neighbor had them, until recently.
He still has them. In the freezer.

Old 05-19-2024, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
He still has them. In the freezer.

Well, yeah probably but I didn't want to get into those details in potentially mixed company.

Old 05-19-2024, 05:36 PM

^^^I was an agribusiness major so not a sensitive little flower. But probably wise to stay out of the nitty gritty, so to speak. Opens up way too many directions for this conversation to go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate