Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2009, 03:49 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,485,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
The only thing is that the wraparound is usually only available as a post formed, so if you're just redoing the top on your's (as opposed to replacing the whole thing), then such isn't going to be an option. Stick with the wood edging, then ... it'll look fine enough.
Yes we are just redoing the top. Ok thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 09:09 AM

2,119 posts, read 4,168,726 times
Has anyone used Bianco Antico granite?

Old 08-17-2009, 09:01 AM

35 posts, read 245,096 times
Well, this is good news for me... I really, really hate stainless steel. Don't particularly care for the look of granite, and radioactive gas gives me the willies.

Love the farmer's sinks though! I would love to have a farm style kitchen (and whole house) as well. And please give me the closed-off kitchen any day over this open floorplan BS. I don't want guests seeing my crazy messy kitchen.

I really use my kitchen, and can't be bothered with porous surfaces, treating my counter with mineral oil, or worrying about hot pans. What's the most durable and low maintenance countertop? I was looking at that recycled glass - seems like that might be really durable, but not all that heat resistant... hmm.

I do hate the idea of paying for someone else's bland, trendy, non-functional kitchen remodel. Antique kitchens don't need to be remodeled unless they're falling apart and I'd rather paint cabinets than have cherry or maple or whatever any day.

My dream kitchen would look something like this: 15 Style-Setting Kitchen Islands (http://www.bhg.com/home-improvement/kitchen/planning/kitchen-islands/?page=5 - broken link)

Or this: 10 Reasons to Love Cottage Kitchens (http://www.bhg.com/home-improvement/kitchen/gallery/reasons-to-love-cottage-kitchens/ - broken link)

Old 08-17-2009, 09:22 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
If you doing those sorts of things solely for yourself it really does not matter, but if you have any inkling that you'd like to be able to recoup some of the costs should you want / need to sell I would recommend the cleaner more mainstream look with the white cabinets. The overly distressed and multi-colored affair is going to fit into the "overly personalize" look and that will lose buyers / cost money to neutralize.

Last night I saw some "Bang for the Buck" think from Dallas and this one couple really went overboard with the "distressing" on their cabinets / backsplash. It did not look "like it has always been there" instead it looked very much like a far too "of the moment" designer talked the home owner into something that is the polar opposite of timeless -- it is "flash in the pan" trendy that will require revisting the designer in a fairly short time period when the next "look that you must have" rolls into town...

Old 08-17-2009, 10:03 AM

35 posts, read 245,096 times
Chet, I'm pretty far from the kitchen-remodeling phase of my life, but any remodels I do will be for me. In any case, I'd probably go for something along the lines of that second kitchen just because I'm not great at decorating.

And of course, it's no fun having a trend-of-the-moment massive investment like a kitchen, either. I do like either countertops or cabinets to have some color, though. Something unique, not trendy. Hard to find I know.

But then again, having the blah stereotypical model that immediately dates one's whole kitchen is pretty bad when you sell after that look is over, too. Bottom line, I just don't want something that looks like it came out of a catalog.

Distressing does look VERY stupid in modern houses. IMO stainless steel granite countertop kitchens look stupid in old houses, too.

Old 08-18-2009, 04:41 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,803,457 times
I'm glad it's so yesterday. Now I can buy it for 1/3 of what it cost 10 years ago and have a practicle food prep surface that looks nice.

Old 08-18-2009, 05:27 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
White Cabinets, Granite Counter-tops, Stainless Appliances...

Our kitchen was long overdue for a remodel and we are happy with the result even though we apparently did everything wrong. The stainless is a brushed finish that keeps a clean look, the white cabinets brighten up a previously dark room and a recent appraiser told me that the granite added value to his appraisal.

Old 08-18-2009, 05:42 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,194,504 times
While house hunting, there are 2 things that will get me to drop that house from consideration imediately------partial brick house and white cabinets.

White cabinets may be the " in thing" for many, but never for me.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:31 AM

577 posts, read 2,061,069 times
Our house was built around 1994 and the kitchen has white cabinets. At first I thought it would bother me but they're kind of growing on me. Our appliances are white and the walls are white so I need to do *something* but I think for now the white works okay. If we'd paint the walls a different color it would offset some of the white, too. One of our neighbors has our same floor plan. That kitchen is all white, too, even the countertops. That I think is a bit much, so I'm glad our counters are not white; they're a laminate but made to look like stone. I haven't had any trouble keeping the white cabinets clean, which might surprise people. Once in a while I wipe them down with a wet rag to get the dust off but that's about it. I have a 5 year old child but to be honest, my husband makes more messes in the kitchen than she does.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:45 AM

718 posts, read 2,079,662 times
Once you have had white cabinets, you don't want them again.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate