Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2009, 07:21 AM

8,545 posts, read 10,273,875 times

Advertisements

I'm beginning to think that buying and selling just isn't worth it Painter...what is it with these people...the listing agent for that house we almost bought in NorCal won't return our deposit..says we backed out fraudulently..Well, we could not get the loan, duh...well I take that back, we could have gotten a loan IF we had gone with 6% interest AND their lender wanted us to get a letter from our investment guy saying we were getting about 4x as much as we do monthly for income. To us, that seems fraudulent, and our contract stated our maximum interest rate was at 4.8%. So right now we are still out our 5,000. We did offer them 1,000 as a payment for their time, our agent called last night and has not heard back from the listing agent, they aren't returning her calls, so we might have to go to small claims..We were not going to embellish our monthly income, this is how the whole damn housing mess started. So one more thing to stress us out..

Old 04-22-2009, 07:57 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,372,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
Speaking of Murphy's Law..........I'm guessing I'm going to win the prize for the worst showing. We finally had a showing scheduled for Monday afternoon after a pretty much dead winter. Monday night hubby called and asked where he could find the card with our agents phone number on it. I had a suspicion that something was wrong just from the tone of his voice, but frankly I'm at my wit's end dealing with stuff down here so I didn't ask when he didn't tell. So I called him back tonight to ask if he got hold of them and finally got him to admit that the potential buyer fell down our basement steps and either severely sprained or broke her ankle. Just freaking great.........just what we need, a lawsuit on top of everything else we are having to deal with. Why don't we just give them the house now and save the hassle. Anyway, it appears that the agent told them to be careful of the stairs, but of course they didn't pay attention. They supposedly had to call an ambulance for her. We have been trying to find out what happened, but nothing at all.

Anyway, our agents have been trying to contact both the people and their agent all day but neither one of them have called back (probably contacting Edgar Snyder....local huge ambulance chasing lawyer firm). Hubby called our lawyer, but he is out of town until next week. He didn't know whether to call the insurance company and that's why he was trying to call the lawyer. I told him that he should probably call State Farm and at least give them a heads up and to NOT talk directly to the people or their agent or anybody else associated with them. That's why we pay SF the big bucks. We have never had any type of litigation and frankly I just don't think I could handle it right now without losing my mind. As it is, I'm ready to curl up in my bed with a teddy bear, bottle of booze and never come out.

Sorry guys, but I'll probably be away again for awhile. Good luck to everybody else as I think ours has flown the coop.
OMG!! Keep us updated on the outcome. I have always wondered about what if someone gets hurt on my property while viewing my house.... I guess your homeowners ins. would kick in. Yea...you might as well kiss those potential buyers away. They aren't going to want to purchase a home where they fell down the steps first time in the house. I'm so sorry that happened to you.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the painter View Post
Morning campers, Everyone is still asleep here and I have to tell you I am beat! Stayed up real late or early however you llook at it, not for me, cause I still have to get up to feed. My friend pulled in and we are a great time, hasn't changed in 30 yrs, if that is possible.

Latest on the little house saga: Ds called last night saying he needs proof that the utitilities were on for the filthy folks that backed out of the contract. They are now wanting the earnest check back and are saying we didn't provide utilities and prevented them from having an inspection. WHAT a bunch of crap! My agent told him to maybe split it with them, we both said hell no! I told ds to tell their agent to put on her gloves and bring a bucket of water to clean up after them and then MAYBE we would think about it. See for almost 2 weeks she has been ignoring calls and now that we are under contract with someone else this happens. MY agent hasn't returned my calls from Mon. a.m. and a short e-mail last night didn't mention any problems, just telling me to lower my price again.
Glad to hear you and your long time friend had a great time! How long is he in town for?

H*LL NO!! Don't you dare give back that earnest money back! The nerve of them after what they did. Aren't they the ones who "broke into" your home? If so, throw that back in the agents face! Tell her you will press charges for breaking and entering.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
I'm beginning to think that buying and selling just isn't worth it Painter...what is it with these people...the listing agent for that house we almost bought in NorCal won't return our deposit..says we backed out fraudulently..Well, we could not get the loan, duh...well I take that back, we could have gotten a loan IF we had gone with 6% interest AND their lender wanted us to get a letter from our investment guy saying we were getting about 4x as much as we do monthly for income. To us, that seems fraudulent, and our contract stated our maximum interest rate was at 4.8%. So right now we are still out our 5,000. We did offer them 1,000 as a payment for their time, our agent called last night and has not heard back from the listing agent, they aren't returning her calls, so we might have to go to small claims..We were not going to embellish our monthly income, this is how the whole damn housing mess started. So one more thing to stress us out..
You should get your earnest money back because it was the banks fault -- you had to back out for lack of funding. My realtor told me there is no such thing as earnest money here in PA. If they put down earnest money--they get it back regardless of the reason for it not going through. STOY, ROTH....do you know any of this to be true for PA???

Old 04-22-2009, 09:34 AM

2,364 posts, read 4,872,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGirl@Heart View Post
You should get your earnest money back because it was the banks fault -- you had to back out for lack of funding. My realtor told me there is no such thing as earnest money here in PA. If they put down earnest money--they get it back regardless of the reason for it not going through. STOY, ROTH....do you know any of this to be true for PA???
I have not heard that. I just did some research and found a couple of Q&A blogs of PA realtors and both mentioned possibility of earnest money not being returned, but it was mostly due to fraud by the potential buyer, such as them lying to the bank about income in order to get pre-approved. But knowing PA and it's propensity for covering the butts of people who don't deserve it, I would suspect it is much easier for them to get it back than the seller to keep it. So although I really don't think they can unilaterally say the buyer get's it back, I would suspect that is the case unless you can prove massive fraud or they just plain walk away from it.

I haven't heard anything yet. But then again hubby is not being forthright with the info. He claims he didn't tell me in the first place because he knew I would get upset and rant for 3 weeks.......whereupon I said what does it matter as he isn't here to hear it anyhow. Wish he had told me as I wouldn't have spent the $350 for paint yesterday until we can find out what is going on. I'm just concerned that with the economy the way it is people are trying to find ways to get as much money as possible and our homeowner's insurance won't be enough. I'm really scared here. We could lose everything we own and have.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:46 AM

982 posts, read 1,100,223 times
I just got back and the in-laws are with us. They can't fly for a few days. So probably will be scarce.

Barb, I haven't read up yet, but I saw your earnest money thing.

Read your offer. I bet you agreed to arbitration and so did they. Ask your realtor to set it up. You will win. I would send the other agent a letter and tell them they have 24 hours to return the deposit less the 1k you offered and if they don't, you're going to file for arbitration and you will ask for a full refund, you will win, and they will get nothing. See if they respond to that.

I'll be back later to read!!!

Have a great day, folks.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:57 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,851,350 times
OMG all-Painter are they crazy??? And your agent-lower again-no way.

Roth-you poor thing-your nerves must be at shattering point. I was so worried when we went east last month as sidewalk was a chunk of ice. I called our realtor and told her to advise anyone viewing to be careful as it was very icy. I can't imagine what you're going thru.

Barb-you should get that back-this is so crazy.

We got a non-descript e-mail from our realtor with a comp listing-it's nowhere near what our home is.

Just back from the good old barium test and they never saw it go so fast-sure I'm freakin empty!

Old 04-22-2009, 10:19 AM

959 posts, read 1,824,418 times
Hello ladies! Just catching up with you guys. So strange that you were talking about Colon Cancer. Yesterday I had a funeral of my deal uncle who died of colon cancer. He went into the Dr. 2 weeks ago for a colonoscopy. They found the cancer but when they were to remove it, found that the cancer had spead to everywhere in his body. He died a week later. He was not one to be proactive about his health so I wonder if he would have been, if they would have caught it and could have helped. But it was just to far gone for them to do anything. So sad.

So some of us hopped into the car yesterday morning at 8 and drove 6 hours to the funeral. Then we hopped back into the car and drove 6 hours back home. I got home at 2:30 am and had some lab work at 8 this morning and then headed into work. Oh what I would not give for a HUGE glass of soda!!!!

Kristine

Old 04-22-2009, 10:35 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,851,350 times
Kristine-so sorry.

Girl-that's a long day for you in your condition.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammy5 View Post
Hello ladies! Just catching up with you guys. So strange that you were talking about Colon Cancer. Yesterday I had a funeral of my deal uncle who died of colon cancer. He went into the Dr. 2 weeks ago for a colonoscopy. They found the cancer but when they were to remove it, found that the cancer had spead to everywhere in his body. He died a week later. He was not one to be proactive about his health so I wonder if he would have been, if they would have caught it and could have helped. But it was just to far gone for them to do anything. So sad.

So some of us hopped into the car yesterday morning at 8 and drove 6 hours to the funeral. Then we hopped back into the car and drove 6 hours back home. I got home at 2:30 am and had some lab work at 8 this morning and then headed into work. Oh what I would not give for a HUGE glass of soda!!!!

Kristine
Kristine, so sorry to hear about your uncle. How old was he? Again, colon cancer is the MOST PREVENTABLE cancer out there--PLEASE, I urge y'all to be proactive and have your colonoscopies done, starting at age 50. If you have a high risk (family members dx with colon CA) then get one sooner than 50!

Hope you are feeling ok these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate