Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 06:29 PM

43,315 posts, read 77,165,481 times

Advertisements

Interesting thread that points out, at least to me, different practices in various locations.

We do not leave cards after showing in the Triangle area as it is considered soliciting the Seller. The agent should be talking to me if there is doubt that I came by, or for any other reason.

Every now and then I have found an agent's card tucked in the data package I leave in the home. It shouldn't happen, but again, that is here, not other places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 06:32 PM

17,425 posts, read 14,668,729 times
Yes, we should all leave cards.

And yes, I've been guilty a time or two of not leaving them.

It happens - for a wide variety of reasons that have all been mentioned here.

We're human.

Old 07-23-2009, 06:54 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,764,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Interesting thread that points out, at least to me, different practices in various locations.

We do not leave cards after showing in the Triangle area as it is considered soliciting the Seller. The agent should be talking to me if there is doubt that I came by, or for any other reason.

Every now and then I have found an agent's card tucked in the data package I leave in the home. It shouldn't happen, but again, that is here, not other places.
Mike, I find it so strange that things would be so different in the Triangle when here in Charlotte not leaving a card is considered bad form. Where did you get the idea leaving cards would be considered solicting the seller - nothing in NC Real Estate law says that.

Like I said, I work from home and two hours is a huge chunk out of my day. I run out at the appt time but hate to stay out the whole time. I usually park in my neighbors driveway then run in to check for that card on the counter. Most times it's been there and I can then come in and get back to work. These days with more and more people working from home you might want to remember how leaving a card could make our lives so much easier

Old 07-23-2009, 07:03 PM

11,874 posts, read 11,050,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njsocks View Post
I had a showing today and the clients needed a 2-3 hr. window .... and I come home and have no card left by the agent..... We as sellers have make sure the house is spotless and not even common courtesy to leave a card. Just show me you were here! It would be appreciative!

Any other sellers go through this?

Realtors out there? do you leave business cards??
Down here showings are handled very differently than when I practiced in the States, but when I did practice there almost every time I showed a house I left a biz card on the counter. Like others have said we are human (Shock) and sometimes we get distracted, forget or open up our biz card holder and go oh I'm out of cards. But I'd say at least 95% of the time I always did.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:08 PM

718 posts, read 2,080,223 times
I council my sellers that there should be a business card left in the home so they know the agent is there. But, other agents are sure quick to make a liar out of me. The business card expense thing is a joke. Cost of doing business. It is a courtesy for crying out loud. Like cancelling appointments when your buyer does a drive by and doesn't like the neighborhood. Like having the balls enough to go to the front door and tell the seller that "the buyers in the car have decided to pass on this house"....this is not a gutless business, but too many gutless wonders populate it.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:09 PM

1,869 posts, read 4,024,657 times
NJ, im just happy you had a showing!!! that means i should be getting one soon, too, since we seem to be 'paralleling' in this market!!! yeah for you!

Old 07-23-2009, 07:38 PM

43,315 posts, read 77,165,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Mike, I find it so strange that things would be so different in the Triangle when here in Charlotte not leaving a card is considered bad form. Where did you get the idea leaving cards would be considered solicting the seller - nothing in NC Real Estate law says that.

Like I said, I work from home and two hours is a huge chunk out of my day. I run out at the appt time but hate to stay out the whole time. I usually park in my neighbors driveway then run in to check for that card on the counter. Most times it's been there and I can then come in and get back to work. These days with more and more people working from home you might want to remember how leaving a card could make our lives so much easier
Actually, I got the impression in my first pre-licensing course.
Truly, I did not say it was law, just that it is not the custom in the Triangle.
I would never leave a card unless specifically asked to in the showing instructions, and that very seldom happens. Mostly in MLS FSBO's.
I never expect to see a card, either, after one of my showings.
Agents have to schedule showings through CSS, and that gives me their name and contact information. I can contact them before or after showings.

Rhetorically: Why should my client have any contact from a buyers' agent, when I have been exclusively engaged to work for them?
Again, different areas, different customs.
Neither is right or wrong.
But, "When in Rome..."

Old 07-23-2009, 07:41 PM

274 posts, read 709,346 times
I always leave a card, so that the owners know I've been there and can enjoy the rest of their day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njsocks View Post
I had a showing today and the clients needed a 2-3 hr. window .... and I come home and have no card left by the agent..... We as sellers have make sure the house is spotless and not even common courtesy to leave a card. Just show me you were here! It would be appreciative!

Any other sellers go through this?

Realtors out there? do you leave business cards??

Old 07-23-2009, 08:05 PM

94 posts, read 234,801 times
I work from home and have to leave with 2 toddlers. So yes, it is very maddening when they do not leave a card. One time I came home, found no card, every light still on, and was certain they had not been there, so I left again and drove around for another half-hour. I've had to call my agent a couple of times to ask if they showed up or not.

Grrr, if I'm going to leave my work, drive around, or in some instances have to spend money to go out to dinner because of a 6:00 showing, the LEAST they could do is leave a darned card. That is so unprofessional not to.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:18 PM

11,874 posts, read 11,050,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Actually, I got the impression in my first pre-licensing course.
Truly, I did not say it was law, just that it is not the custom in the Triangle.
I would never leave a card unless specifically asked to in the showing instructions, and that very seldom happens. Mostly in MLS FSBO's.
I never expect to see a card, either, after one of my showings.
Agents have to schedule showings through CSS, and that gives me their name and contact information. I can contact them before or after showings.

Rhetorically: Why should my client have any contact from a buyers' agent, when I have been exclusively engaged to work for them?
Again, different areas, different customs.
Neither is right or wrong.
But, "When in Rome..."
Like you said, 'When in Rome', but JMO it's not really for the agent's benefit, but for the sellers so they know the other broker actually did show the house. Thats the beauty of an exclusive - no one gets cut out, but at least the sellers know the agent did show up so they're not wasting their time driving around for years with kiddies and pets in the car 'wondering' if the BA is just running late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate