Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 04:50 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,457,393 times

Advertisements

I truly don't think you can say the job market is getting worse. I am in Human Resources consulting and have about 25 clients most of who went through downsizings or pay reductions this year, and I can tell you the gloom and doom is definitely ending. Most of my clients are cautiously optimistic, some firms are doing better than others, but I have three clients actively recruiting. These are small businesses and they are definitely improving.

ETA this is not a political perspective...this is my real world finger on the pulse of a microcosm in the small to mid size business world. I can't help but think all the doom and gloomers are conservatives trying to argue their political point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 05:30 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,875,332 times
I don't doubt your anecdotes, but that is what they are, anecdotes and far from "the finger on the pulse. If you do any research you will find that the US is bleeding jobs and most are not coming back. Now, will new jobs/industries come along to replace the lost jobs? My opinion is that they better or for the first time in its history the US will have people leaving to find a better way of life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arielmina View Post
I truly don't think you can say the job market is getting worse. I am in Human Resources consulting and have about 25 clients most of who went through downsizings or pay reductions this year, and I can tell you the gloom and doom is definitely ending. Most of my clients are cautiously optimistic, some firms are doing better than others, but I have three clients actively recruiting. These are small businesses and they are definitely improving.

ETA this is not a political perspective...this is my real world finger on the pulse of a microcosm in the small to mid size business world. I can't help but think all the doom and gloomers are conservatives trying to argue their political point.

Old 11-20-2009, 05:45 PM

392 posts, read 1,096,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
I don't doubt your anecdotes, but that is what they are, anecdotes and far from "the finger on the pulse. If you do any research you will find that the US is bleeding jobs and most are not coming back. Now, will new jobs/industries come along to replace the lost jobs? My opinion is that they better or for the first time in its history the US will have people leaving to find a better way of life.
To rebound to the previous 5% unemployment rate, we would need job growth of 3,000,000 jobs created per year for 5 consecutive years. We have never even come close to this, ever in US history. The jobs lost today, are not jobs coming back. The Obama administrations is only focused on a futile effort to save jobs rather then creating new jobs. It's failing miserably.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:10 PM

Quote:

well we disagree...and I am 100% confident that if McCain had won, we would be no better off and in fact, could be significantly worse off, but that's a philosophical disagreement and neither one of us will be swayed by the others opinions.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:44 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,875,332 times
I don't think that we are talking about the same thing. You want to have a political debate. I am talking about the state of the economy, unemployment and how it impacts residential housing.
Honestly, I don't give a crap about Obama or McCain. IMHO, they both stink. End of political debate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arielmina View Post
well we disagree...and I am 100% confident that if McCain had won, we would be no better off and in fact, could be significantly worse off, but that's a philosophical disagreement and neither one of us will be swayed by the others opinions.

Old 11-21-2009, 03:27 AM

106,729 posts, read 108,937,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
yea so what.....I don't care where its from, unemployment is at its highest and only getting worse. They can stretch and switch and screw with those numbers all they want to show the stimulus is working, but things are so bad ... ridiculous
i can only speak for what i see myself ......at our company we have increased our staff by 10% the last month. i never saw so many new hirees in one shot.......

our company is also going thru that get creative stage now where we are venturing into new business areas we were never in before and we needed the staff to do it.. more and more this is what you will see happen in the early steps of coming out of this,

some companies like aol are still cutting staff but i think here in new york we have hit pretty much the bottom and are turning around. i had my 2 best business months in my 34 year career last month and the month before..

we are in the industrial and commercial electrical supply business.

Old 11-21-2009, 03:33 AM

106,729 posts, read 108,937,910 times
Quote:
I don't think that we are talking about the same thing. You want to have a political debate. I am talking about the state of the economy, unemployment and how it impacts residential housing.
Honestly, I don't give a crap about Obama or McCain. IMHO, they both stink. End of political debate.
REPUBLICANS ARE MORONS WITH BAD IDEAS
DEMOCRATES ARE MORONS WITH NO IDEAS

guess that sums up my view of our political system.

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-21-2009 at 04:36 AM..

Old 11-21-2009, 05:52 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,675,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone_Sculpture_Artist View Post
To rebound to the previous 5% unemployment rate, we would need job growth of 3,000,000 jobs created per year for 5 consecutive years. We have never even come close to this, ever in US history. The jobs lost today, are not jobs coming back. The Obama administrations is only focused on a futile effort to save jobs rather then creating new jobs. It's failing miserably.
Your numbers are way off. The size of the workforce is about 150 million. About ten percent are unemployed. That would be 15 million. Job growth of 3,000,000 a year would give you unemployment of 0%(probably even a negative number since the workforce will likely shrink(retirees) in the immediate future.

Job growth of 1.5 million per year for 5 years is necessary to get back to 5% which we have seen many times, for many years.

Last edited by jdm2008; 11-21-2009 at 06:02 AM..

Old 11-21-2009, 05:53 AM

Quote:
well I COMPLETELY agree with this statement.

But I don't think you can discount my "anecdotal evidence" nor others on this thread who are reporting similar things. If you compare right now to 12 months ago, there is No COMPARISON. Folks in the business world are starting to feel optimism and opportunity again, last year this time there were those who truly felt we were headed towards a Depression (with a capital D). Granted this was in the metro NYC area, and certainly I can't speak to other areas of the country.

Old 11-21-2009, 05:58 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
re the OP
no ---you are slow if you buy now
if you sell now you are dumb.
huge shift in property ownership from private individuals to bank corporations.
reverse of "its a wonderful life"
we are going backwards in time fast.
min wage job and no property people get treated very differently
see movie "grapes of wrath".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate