Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 07:14 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,437,282 times

Advertisements

The LA Times had it's "First Ever Battle of the Burgers", and published the winning recipes yesterday.

The Blueberry Chipotle Barbecue Sauce (the red, white and blueberry burger) is something I'm definitely going to try
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 05:50 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,425,270 times
I've had some pretty weird toppings on my burgers but I assure you Blueberry will never go on that list...ever.
I'll stick to some good ole catsup, maybe some mayo if the urge stikes me.

Old 07-02-2011, 07:07 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
There is no burger on the planet like Louis Lunch burgers in New Haven, CT. They are not ostentatious, they're not "foodie" food. You can't get exotic toppings for them and in fact, the only toppings available is a slice of tomato, some raw onion, and cheese wiz. The burgers are not served on gourmet artisan breads; they're served on white toast. Optional condiments are not available even in little packets. You cannot have it your way, at Louis Lunch. You can have it their way, or you can go somewhere else.

Louis invented the hamburger sandwich in the year 1900, and they've been open for business ever since. The fact that they've been doing it their way for 111 years, and going strong, is a testament to their superiority. They are the standard by which all others fail to compare.

Edited to add a tidbit of burger history: Louis Lunch is owned by the same family who started it in the year 1900, and uses the same upright gas grills they have owned since 1898 (the burgers are grilled in cages, suspended sideways, not on a flat surface).

Old 07-08-2011, 07:37 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
I've had some pretty weird toppings on my burgers but I assure you Blueberry will never go on that list...ever.
I'll stick to some good ole catsup, maybe some mayo if the urge stikes me.
Mine either, the thought almost makes me sick.

NIta

Old 07-08-2011, 09:39 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,437,282 times
Wellll ... at get-togethers, I currently BBQ (or broil) sliced rounds of (usually Hillshire) sausage, stick a toothpick in them, and then use Raspberry Salsa as a dip.

With the Blueberry Chipotle Barbecue Sauce, now I can have 2 dips

Old 12-07-2011, 03:24 PM

555 posts, read 877,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
There is no burger on the planet like Louis Lunch burgers in New Haven, CT. They are not ostentatious, they're not "foodie" food. You can't get exotic toppings for them and in fact, the only toppings available is a slice of tomato, some raw onion, and cheese wiz. The burgers are not served on gourmet artisan breads; they're served on white toast. Optional condiments are not available even in little packets. You cannot have it your way, at Louis Lunch. You can have it their way, or you can go somewhere else.

Louis invented the hamburger sandwich in the year 1900, and they've been open for business ever since. The fact that they've been doing it their way for 111 years, and going strong, is a testament to their superiority. They are the standard by which all others fail to compare.

Edited to add a tidbit of burger history: Louis Lunch is owned by the same family who started it in the year 1900, and uses the same upright gas grills they have owned since 1898 (the burgers are grilled in cages, suspended sideways, not on a flat surface).
The inventor of the Ollieburger didn't allow toppings of any kind because the flavored meat was so delicious. And they were thick anough to be cooked to order.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:41 AM

5,906 posts, read 5,738,053 times
Default Ashley's Burgers

Not sure what the official recipe name is for these, but my daughter found it online (hence the name). Crazy good.

Sauce
1 T Dijon
2 T real maple syrup
1/4 C mayo

Mix in bowl til smooth, adjust to taste, reserve in fridge at least 1 hr to let flavors mingle.

Burgers
1 lb ground beef (we used ground chuck)
1/2 C no sugar added/unsweetened applesauce
1 T Montreal or Chicago steak seasoning
Salt and pepper (very optional, the bacon is quite salty!)
1/2 - 1 C plain bread crumbs
4 (or more) slices thick cut bacon, cooked til desired doneness
4 burger buns plus fixins

Combine beef, applesauce, seasoning, salt/pepper, and 1/2 C bread crumbs in large bowl; add more breadcrumbs if necessary to hold mixture together (but these will be a bit more fragile anyway).

Form into 4 patties, grill/fry to desired doneness.

Place on buns w/fixins, a slice or 2 of bacon and a schmear of the sweet dijon sauce.

We usually eat these with paper-thin slices of red onion and loose-leaf lettuce...pure heaven.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:48 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,432,613 times
sounds good. I'd make it. My mom's cousin makes meatloaf with apple sauce in it. It does sound strange with the addition of apple sauce but I am always willing to try something different when it comes to hamburgers. Thanks for posting.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:56 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,738,053 times
You're welcome. None of us can taste the applesauce, so my guess is that it just adds to the moist texture of the patties, and just a hint of sweetness.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:53 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,368,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
You're welcome. None of us can taste the applesauce, so my guess is that it just adds to the moist texture of the patties, and just a hint of sweetness.
I'm going to use your applesauce method tommorrow without the rest of the recipe... I can see how that would make for a more juicy burger, going to do them on the grill with mesquite chips. Thanks for the idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes