Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 12:14 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,844,220 times

Advertisements

Didn't read all of this, so if these are repeats, accept my apologies

Stuffed mushrooms
Lasagna (use half beef, half sausage)
Tons of other things that are baked pasta dishes
mix into meatloaf - especially good with ground turkey (helps get rid of the bland taste of the turkey)
Meat balls or hamburger patties - half chop meat
Sausage and onions and peppers - but in your case, replace the peppers with giardinara or mushrooms
sausage and potatoes
Use it for toad in the hole (yum!)
Sausage and white beans
On pizza
sausage soup (it has lots of vegies and beans in a tomato beef broth)
jamalaya
sausage hero using mozzarella cheese, fresh basil and tomatoes or tomato sauce. Maybe some grilled onions.
zuchinni boats
stuffing for Thanksgiving

PS do try hot Italian sausage. It's not really hot, but it is (IMO) more flavorful than sweet. Especially if you are going to mix it with chopped beef, the hot works MUCH better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 12:44 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,236,097 times
I posted this in Food and Drink on Feb 20... post #1093;

Italian sweet sausage on a bed of spinach, white beans, tomatoes, garlic, onions, cream and parmesan.

Saute Spinach/garlic/onions in EVOO in pan/pot...add 16 oz. can of whole plum tomatoes, hand crushed..fresh or dried oregano and basil...can of cannelli beans drained. simmer for about 20 minutes...last 5 minutes add 1/2 cup heavy cream and 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese.

meanwhile cut sausage in serving pieces, bake on foil lined baking pan 400 degrees 17 -20 minutes.
wrap sausage pieces in an Egg Roll wrap. (Asian Grocery store) fry in veggie oil 'til egg roll wrapper is browned..about a minute on each side.

Plate up Spinach/bean/tomato mixture..place sausage wrap on top..looks real purty...

This is a Magoo Manor signature dish ..if any of you try it, please let me know how it turned out.

(I have also wrapped the sausage in pizza dough and packaged crescent rolls..but the crispiness and lightness of the eggroll wraps works the best for me.)

Old 03-06-2018, 01:34 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
you guys are great!! I want to make sure I'm doing it right - you always have to remove the casing right? It's plastic? Not natural - edible?

thanks!
I do not remove on the sausage and potato recipe.

Old 03-07-2018, 05:24 AM

4,694 posts, read 3,475,013 times
I have been making this recipe for my husband for a few years now. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/26...oes-and-cream/ I like to add fresh basil in with it.
I found it when I bought too much Italian sausage. I like this recipe but he loves it. He calls it pure comfort food.

Old 03-07-2018, 05:52 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,956,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
I have been making this recipe for my husband for a few years now. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/26...oes-and-cream/ I like to add fresh basil in with it.
I found it when I bought too much Italian sausage. I like this recipe but he loves it. He calls it pure comfort food.
OH YUMMMMMM I'll try this one - this weekend!

thanks all!

Old 03-07-2018, 07:16 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,845,962 times
I buy HT sweet Italian sausage too. I fry it(in a little butter and olive oil) until it's good and brown and serve it on the side with pasta(either spaghetti or penne), Classico sweet basil spaghetti sauce and lots of fresh grated parmesan over the top.

Old 03-07-2018, 07:25 AM

2,481 posts, read 2,236,097 times
Quote:
Magicshark...that recipe is on the menu of a local Italian restaurant and it is very popular.

The owner/chef claims he learned it from his Italian 'nonna'

I guess her name must be 'Nonna Allrecipes' lol.

They add a bit of chopped sun dried tomatoes and green peas, but other than that, it is exactly the same.

Old 03-07-2018, 07:53 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Ive had similar dishes in Italian restaurants and loved it. One had less tomatoes and added the basil like you do. The other (which we both preferred because it was so rich) eliminated the tomatoes, added small chunks of mushrooms, and more garlic, garnished with fresh parsley. If I ever stop trying to lose weight, that may be my 'return to the good food world' dish.

Old 03-07-2018, 08:01 AM

4,694 posts, read 3,475,013 times
How funny! I have never seen it out and about. I will say it is incredibly easy to make.

I have on occasion thrown mushrooms in it. It works well. I think I will throw peas in with it next time. I know the husband will love that!

Old 03-07-2018, 08:13 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,350,394 times
I use sweet and/or spicy Italian sausage for lots of things. Cooked and crumbled it makes great homemade pizza.

One of my favorite uses is mostaccioli or baked penne. I brown a pound or so of the full sausage links with the casings on. After they are a bit firm I slice the links into one inch pieces. Mix it with a pound of 1/2 cooked mostaccioli or penne. Combine with your favorite red sauce. Add more than you think you need because the pasta will soak it up. Put into a baking pan, top with mozzarella cheese, and bake for about 30 minutes. The sausage will finish cooking. If I feel like it I'll throw some sliced mushrooms, onions, or peppers (not for you) into it all. My family isn't Italian but this is a classic pot luck dish where I'm from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes