Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should stuffing include eggs or nuts?
Stuffing should include eggs. 17 37.78%
Stuffing should not include eggs. 19 42.22%
Stuffing should include nuts. 2 4.44%
Stuffing should not include nuts. 7 15.56%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 08:42 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times

Advertisements

Nor should it have nuts. That is an abomination of the purity of the stuffing taste. That is all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 08:43 AM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times
What about oysters?

Old 11-29-2018, 08:48 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
I didn't use egg in my stuffing this year, but I have before. It's used as a binder and you can't actually taste it as there's so little of it.

Old 11-29-2018, 08:53 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,428,248 times
If one is so determined to have solely a "stuffing taste," then one should simply serve bread or cornbread, whichever is one's preferred stuffing base.

Stuffing has had any number of additions since stuffing first became a dish. Here's a nicely written article on the regional differences: https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt...y-debated-dish

In our family, a cornbread base with onions, tart apples, cilantro, jalapeño, fresh chopped sage (never, ever powdered sage) and assorted other herbs and spices, celery (sometimes), and hard-boiled eggs has been the tradition for over 100 years. We don't use eggs as a binder, because we like our stuffing/dressing to be more crumbly.

We like it fine. So do our guests. Some like it with gravy, some with butter, some just plain. Tastes great.

It's all dependent upon one's own background. No need to get all upset over someone else's recipe.

Old 11-29-2018, 08:54 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I didn't use egg in my stuffing this year, but I have before. It's used as a binder and you can't actually taste it as there's so little of it.

I use just one sometimes as a binder...wish I had this year, as the dressing was a bit unstable.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:10 AM

4,691 posts, read 3,468,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I use just one sometimes as a binder...wish I had this year, as the dressing was a bit unstable.
I also use eggs just as a binder. I add in celery, onions, mushrooms and lots of Bell sesoning. I don't think I have ever run across any with nuts. I have had it with cranberries in it. I thought that was really good!

Old 11-29-2018, 09:29 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkay66 View Post
If one is so determined to have solely a "stuffing taste," then one should simply serve bread or cornbread, whichever is one's preferred stuffing base.

Stuffing has had any number of additions since stuffing first became a dish. Here's a nicely written article on the regional differences: https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt...y-debated-dish

In our family, a cornbread base with onions, tart apples, cilantro, jalapeño, fresh chopped sage (never, ever powdered sage) and assorted other herbs and spices, celery (sometimes), and hard-boiled eggs has been the tradition for over 100 years. We don't use eggs as a binder, because we like our stuffing/dressing to be more crumbly.

We like it fine. So do our guests. Some like it with gravy, some with butter, some just plain. Tastes great.

It's all dependent upon one's own background. No need to get all upset over someone else's recipe.
I'm a native Texan and I never thought of using jalapenos. That sounds amazing! I am not upset, but rather insistent about the proper stuffing recipe is because the wife and I were having an, ahem, "discussion" about this. She insists it should have nuts and eggs. I insist it should not. (She is from Virginia). We are debating who makes the stuffing this year (maybe two types?)

Old 11-29-2018, 09:59 AM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times
We make it 1/3 cornbread, 2/3 seasoned cubes , a couple or three medium diced onions, one or two diced green peppers, one diced red pepper, three or four stalks diced celery, a pound of crumpled sage sausage, a large handful fresh cranberries, rosemary and sage. Add a half quart of turkey stock to what doesn't get put into the bird.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:24 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Nor should it have nuts. That is an abomination of the purity of the stuffing taste. That is all.
no nuts and certainly no eggs. I know, some do use eggs including my niece but why I have no idea. If made right and put back into birdy's insides it is moist and holds together beautifully. And as for nuts? What is that all about?

Old 11-29-2018, 10:30 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
I also use eggs just as a binder. I add in celery, onions, mushrooms and lots of Bell sesoning. I don't think I have ever run across any with nuts. I have had it with cranberries in it. I thought that was really good!
That is sorta like mine. I use sausage but dad used to use bacon; not a lot: yes, onions, celery, mushrooms, maybe apple, it just depends and dried sage plus of course other spices including salt and pepper. If I think it is too dry I use a bit of milk. I think what we use in ours depends on what region we were raised in or where we live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes