Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should stuffing include eggs or nuts?
Stuffing should include eggs. 17 37.78%
Stuffing should not include eggs. 19 42.22%
Stuffing should include nuts. 2 4.44%
Stuffing should not include nuts. 7 15.56%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 04:41 PM

45,416 posts, read 60,608,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Another egg as a binder user here. I never thought about including chopped nuts, but it kind of sounds good for a little crunch. I may try it.
After baking in the bird for 5 hours the nuts aren't crunchy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 04:47 PM

8,050 posts, read 10,640,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I use just one sometimes as a binder...wish I had this year, as the dressing was a bit unstable.
I guess I'm in the minority, but I LIKE mine kind of dry and crumbly (I guess what you would call "unstable) and the bread cubes kind of "crispy". I don't like mine "binded up" into globs of sage flavored goo. Some of our family members do, however, so we make both kinds.

I'm big on texture, and I hate things that are "doughy". I make my cornbread/sausage/pecan stuffing without eggs and toast the pecans first to bring out their flavor and add crunch. I DON'T like the addition of any kind of fruit or sweetness in the dressing. I just want it salty/savory. I leave the sweetness to the cranberry sauce and desserts.

Funny how different we all are in what we like!

9,150 posts, read 10,898,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
When you guys use the egg as a binder, you mean kind of like an egg wash to make all the ingredients stick together, right?
Yes. Mixed with stock.

3,125 posts, read 3,024,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
When you guys use the egg as a binder, you mean kind of like an egg wash to make all the ingredients stick together, right? My MIL's stuffing has little pieces of hard boiled eggs throughout that are cooked separately from it, then mixed in.
That's usually a southern thing. Adding chopped hard-boiled eggs to giblet gravy is another southern thing.

Old 11-29-2018, 04:59 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times
I never put eggs in mine. If stuffing is going into a bird, I agree no eggs, because they might not get fully cooked.

I do disagree about nuts in stuffing. I like walnuts and caraway in my stuffing.

And, if you do not put stuffing inside the bird to cook, I think it is OK to use eggs. There is no one right way to make stuffing, or dressing.

My cornbread stuffing, or dressing, is very good, by the way.

Old 11-30-2018, 08:41 AM

5,347 posts, read 3,218,339 times
I don't understand the "eggs as a binder" comments. When did stuffing have to be "bound"?

I know it's a matter of taste so if you like it, great! I guess I just like plain jane stuffing, cooked in the bird, so I'm not understanding the binder stuff.

Old 11-30-2018, 03:58 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
I don't understand the "eggs as a binder" comments. When did stuffing have to be "bound"?

I know it's a matter of taste so if you like it, great! I guess I just like plain jane stuffing, cooked in the bird, so I'm not understanding the binder stuff.
I have eaten egged up stuffing years ago. I believe someone eventually threw up, and I remember feeling uncomfortable, and going for walk outside in the cold air, to clear my head. I had never made turkey or stuffing at that point, but I remember some muttering about the eggs in the stuffing. I later checked with my mom, who exclaimed “you don’t put eggs in stuffing!”

But my mom made an old fashioned cornbread stuffing, which we actually called “dressing.”

I have eaten in a school cafeteria a gluey, loaf of “dressing” made with white bread crumbs. It was sliced, like bread. That probably had eggs in it.

I like a looser texture, myself. And I think it is sort of funny that my family’s old fashioned cornbread dressing has become mainstream.

But there is probably a different stuffing recipe for every cook. I imagine the possibilities are endless. You do not need eggs in stuffing, but if you want eggs in it, there is no law against it.

Old 11-30-2018, 04:01 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Eggs??!!! Nuts!!??!!
What's happening?!

Old 11-30-2018, 04:30 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,968,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Eggs??!!! Nuts!!??!!
What's happening?!
My thought exactly.

Old 11-30-2018, 04:48 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,511,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post

It just gives it a softer, more held together texture than stuffing made without a binder, which tends to be more crumbly.

I haven't stuffed a bird in many years. I don't find it worth the trouble and the fact that it makes the bird take longer to cook and be more likely to be overcooked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes