Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2020, 10:26 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,525,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Clarify your broth with egg white.
Then it's consomme.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2020, 10:32 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,179,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I know I'm a weirdo but the thought of "bone broth" sickens me!
All it is is broth made from bony meat or poultry. If you buy canned soup and eat it, you are consuming a weak, salty form of bone broth. I never heard the term “bone broth” until recently. Been making broth for years.

Old 12-26-2020, 03:19 PM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
That was part of my question. In other words, should I cook the turkey leg with all the meat on it in order to get the part they call bone broth? Or should I strip the meat first and cook the bones without the meat to extract the collagen? But as I explained to NYC refugee, the broth (gel) I made came out quite nicely, still in the refrigerator, but I will have to experiment with it. Still learning. Thanks!
When I glanced at a few turkey soup recipes before I made mine, they said that once the meat on the bones had cooked for 4 hours to make the broth, it had had all the goodness and flavor cooked out of it. I just strained the broth and discarded all the vegetables and everything. Then I added back the other leftover meat and fresh celery and carrot.

I’ll also mention, if it’s pertinent, that when I was on a clear liquid diet for a day, I experimented, and now I only buy Progresso beef broth, because it tastes so rich and beefy. I can’t vouch for the chicken broth.

Old 12-26-2020, 03:59 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,525,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
When I glanced at a few turkey soup recipes before I made mine, they said that once the meat on the bones had cooked for 4 hours to make the broth, it had had all the goodness and flavor cooked out of it. I just strained the broth and discarded all the vegetables and everything. Then I added back the other leftover meat and fresh celery and carrot.

I’ll also mention, if it’s pertinent, that when I was on a clear liquid diet for a day, I experimented, and now I only buy Progresso beef broth, because it tastes so rich and beefy. I can’t vouch for the chicken broth.

I like Progresso chicken broth just fine myself.

I think what you made in paragraph one was stock. Broth is from a whole chicken or similar. Bone broth is from bones with only whatever meat is left on. Stock meat and vegetables, usually celery, carrot, onion, a good basis for soups and heartier than broth. Consomme is clarified broth, usually by the egg white method.

As gentlearts makes stock and then makes soup with it, my grandfather would make bone broth and make that into soup. Boil chicken necks, then strain the broth and add new chicken and vegetables. It would turn to gel in the fridge and it's one of my better childhood memories to have sat and enjoyed picking meat from the necks with my grandfather.

As a strange aside, when I was dating my husband, I once cooked necks to have for lunches during the week and my husband said he didn't know anyone else who liked them except his mother. It seemed to be a point in my favor at the time.

Old 12-26-2020, 08:28 PM

16,394 posts, read 30,296,637 times
Bones are the basis for all great broths. Next week, I have 20# of pork bones so that i can make some pho or tonkotsu ramen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonkotsu_ramen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes