Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2020, 08:40 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,262,340 times

Advertisements

I have a couple of questions. First of all I cooked some turkey necks in the slow cooker. I put in spices and water and let them cook for hours. But then I didn't know what to do. The necks had flesh on them but not really. I couldn't see the bones. So after they were cooked I threw the necks out and was left with the broth. Do I strain the broth to get the gel out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2020, 11:55 AM

6,153 posts, read 4,525,082 times
You will never get the gel out. It's collagen, it comes from the bones and is the reason you use them. To me, it's the sign of a good broth. I would also have eaten the neck meat; I do when I use chicken necks. I don't know what's better, the actual soup or the necks.

The only person I knew who used bone broth regularly was Thai. She would simmer bones in the biggest pot you ever saw all day long and strain the broth and make Asian soups, which basically are a good broth with cooked noodles and other veg and herbs/seasonings added in before serving.

Old 12-17-2020, 10:52 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,053,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
I have a couple of questions. First of all I cooked some turkey necks in the slow cooker. I put in spices and water and let them cook for hours. But then I didn't know what to do. The necks had flesh on them but not really. I couldn't see the bones. So after they were cooked I threw the necks out and was left with the broth. Do I strain the broth to get the gel out?
Did you want to get the gelatin out of the broth? If so, why? Anyway, as NYC refugee pointed out, you'll never get the gelatin out of the broth. The whole point of cooking down bones (with or without meat on them) is to extract the gelatin out of the bones/meat into the broth.

I often make bone broth for soups, gravies, savory glazes for roasts or to make a pure high protein broth tea which must be drunk hot as a beverage as a curative for invalids in recovery. I always roast and brown the bones in the oven first before putting them into the pot to simmer for a few hours. Roasting the bones first until they've browned gives the broth a much meatier, more savory flavour and allows a lot more of the gelatin to be extracted out of the bones.

Old 12-19-2020, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Did you want to get the gelatin out of the broth? If so, why? Anyway, as NYC refugee pointed out, you'll never get the gelatin out of the broth. The whole point of cooking down bones (with or without meat on them) is to extract the gelatin out of the bones/meat into the broth.

I often make bone broth for soups, gravies, savory glazes for roasts or to make a pure high protein broth tea which must be drunk hot as a beverage as a curative for invalids in recovery. I always roast and brown the bones in the oven first before putting them into the pot to simmer for a few hours. Roasting the bones first until they've browned gives the broth a much meatier, more savory flavour and allows a lot more of the gelatin to be extracted out of the bones.

I did the turkey necks, no meat to speak of. I don't have an oven now, only a crockpot and a toaster oven and a cooking hot plate, which works for me. Meantime I got a load of gel when I cooked the necks in the slow cooker. And, of course, it's gel. So then, what do I do with the gel? Do I add water to it, or stock to it to make it watery (soupy)? I'd like to talk about the marrow another time. Does the gel become liquidy if I simply heat it up?

Old 12-20-2020, 12:50 PM

Yes, my grandfather's entire pot of chicken soup would turn to gel in the refrigerator. Next day it went on the stove and "melted" into broth. You can, if you want, thin it a little with water, but if it's a nice bone broth made with all those necks, turning to gel when cold means you did a great job. I'm a little confused about the idea of necks having no meat. They usually have enough for some good munchies and you can even put it back into the broth and add what veg or noodles you want to make a complete soup meal.

Old 12-21-2020, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Yes, my grandfather's entire pot of chicken soup would turn to gel in the refrigerator. Next day it went on the stove and "melted" into broth. You can, if you want, thin it a little with water, but if it's a nice bone broth made with all those necks, turning to gel when cold means you did a great job. I'm a little confused about the idea of necks having no meat. They usually have enough for some good munchies and you can even put it back into the broth and add what veg or noodles you want to make a complete soup meal.
Ha, I like your moniker - "NYC refugee." ! We (my husband and I) are NY (City) natives, we moved to mid-southern state where the residents had completely different personalities. Took time to get used to the different personality type. It was a nice change and when I went back to the city for a visit I was rather shocked at the crassness of some, I guess I got too used to gentility.
Back to bone broth. As for the neck bones, for some reason what was in the package of turkey neck bones was virtually devoid of meat although the bones were covered up with something that looked like meat. After I cooked them, I put the gel in the refrigerator and am happy to tell you that the broth (gel) turned out very nice. I took some gel and used it instead of oil to cook some veggies. Very tasty. So I am happy so far with my experiment, although have yet to use the gel as a soup type thing. Hopefully I will. But I am happy I tried and I will likely do it soon again in the future.
Thanks for your insight.

Old 12-21-2020, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post

That was part of my question. In other words, should I cook the turkey leg with all the meat on it in order to get the part they call bone broth? Or should I strip the meat first and cook the bones without the meat to extract the collagen? But as I explained to NYC refugee, the broth (gel) I made came out quite nicely, still in the refrigerator, but I will have to experiment with it. Still learning. Thanks!

Old 12-21-2020, 09:50 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,179,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
I did the turkey necks, no meat to speak of. I don't have an oven now, only a crockpot and a toaster oven and a cooking hot plate, which works for me. Meantime I got a load of gel when I cooked the necks in the slow cooker. And, of course, it's gel. So then, what do I do with the gel? Do I add water to it, or stock to it to make it watery (soupy)? I'd like to talk about the marrow another time. Does the gel become liquidy if I simply heat it up?
The gel is what you want. When you heat it it will liquify. You can certainly make soup with it, or use it to cook beans or rice. That is what I did today, as a matter if fact. I used frozen chicken broth to cook my Palouse grown garbanzo beans. My goodness, they were good.

When you get the jelled stuff, you have liquid gold. I bought turkey necks myself, to make turkey broth. I have made it in the slow cooker, and it was wonderful. Now, I use an Instant Pot, and get the good stuff faster.

Use your broth to make vegetable or bean soup. Discard the necks and any bits of flesh clinging to them.

Old 12-22-2020, 12:41 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,441,605 times
Can the beef bones left over from a prime rib roast be used to make bone broth? if so, what else do I need to add to the pot?

Old 12-22-2020, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Can the beef bones left over from a prime rib roast be used to make bone broth? if so, what else do I need to add to the pot?
I know you use a ham bone as the base for pea soup. I had a friend who would ask the deli counter man to save her the bone from the big hams. She would boil it just for a base broth with nothing added, but ham is salty.

Beef bones you could boil with 1/8 teaspoon of vinegar (supposed to help pull all the bone goodness out of the bones) and not another thing but salt to taste when it's cooked down. You can cook a big bone all day and let the broth condense until you're happy with the flavor. Let it cook down before salting or you'll be sorry.
My mother used the entire turkey carcass from the Thanksgiving turkey to make turkey bone broth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes