Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2008, 12:35 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,292,857 times

Advertisements

Wow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 06:35 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,202,996 times
Whew.. I read Mofongo and thought of Mondongo which I didn't eat in Panama after I found out it was made with tripe or something similiar. It was in a tomatoe,onion and green pepper sauce. When I asked what it was she wouldn't tell me!!!

I am surprised I never heard of Mofongo but I bet it is good. I love fried plantains where you cut them about an inch thick and then after frying for a few minutes, take them out and smash them to make them thin and then fry them until they are brown and crispy

Old 09-16-2008, 12:26 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Whew.. I read Mofongo and thought of Mondongo which I didn't eat in Panama after I found out it was made with tripe or something similiar. It was in a tomatoe,onion and green pepper sauce. When I asked what it was she wouldn't tell me!!!

I am surprised I never heard of Mofongo but I bet it is good. I love fried plantains where you cut them about an inch thick and then after frying for a few minutes, take them out and smash them to make them thin and then fry them until they are brown and crispy
Those twice fried plantains are very common in Cuban kitchens. If you want to try something similar to 'Mofongo' (which I hadn't heard of until now myself ) but with yucca (cassava root) check out fufu de yucca. I found a link with a recipe for fufu de platano that looks inviting and has great pics!

fu + fu + fu = Fufú Fufú de platano | arrozyfrijoles.com

Old 09-16-2008, 02:40 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,190,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhead View Post
... Second off, I to this day still eat black pepper and mayonnaise sandwiches. Since I was a kid I have always liked them. They were simple and easy to make when you didn't have much else on hand ...
And someone mentioned earlier "jam sandwiches" and ketchup sandwiches. I used to eat ketchup sandwiches when I was a kid. Also sugar sandwiches. Heavily butter (margarine) two slices of bread, pour white sugar on one slice and cover with the other and pat them together. The sugar sticks to the margarine so it doesn't fall out.

Did you ever squirt the whipped cream aerosol can into your mouth, and push the nozzle too hard so that it made your cheeks bulge out like Dizzy Gillespie?

We used to travel out to Western Maryland and stayed at the Casselman Inn run by Mennonites. They had a restaurant and one of their sandwiches was the "Casselman Special." It was described as "grilled cheese layered with mayonnaise, dipped in egg batter and deep fat fried." No one I know ever tried one. They also had a bakery at the inn and the pies and pastries were to die for.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:54 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,539,736 times
Ok I see it's a thread for stuff that's BAD for you....I saw a tread for fried green beans and about cried....no bacon in it!

Canned or fresh greenbeans will work...just get the amount you want.

Take about 8-10 slices of bacon with lots of fat on it and cook it until firm but not crunchy.

take the bacon out to let it cool, and dump the beans in the grease. While those are cooking, cut up the bacon and throw it back in the pan. You can then season them with pepper and minced onion if you want.
Cook them down until you get the consistancy you want.

Old 09-19-2008, 06:35 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,292,857 times
Wonderful! We have a family reunion on Saturday and my mother made beans almost exactly that way! She uses a pressure cooker. My father picked some beans out of his garden, mama fried some bacon, removed the bacon, added the green beans and some chicken stock and chopped onion. They were really good! We kept "sampling" them while they were cooling! LOL

Daddy and I also fixed up a big batch of pimento and cheese for the reunion since we are picking up fried chicken from "Carter's"! Nothing like a pimento and cheese or a pineapple sandwich to go along with fried chicken!

Old 09-19-2008, 10:02 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,853,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Okay it's probably a Minnesota Hot dish but they forgot the Velveeta!!! Ugh.
Forgive me as just starting to read this thread and not sure if I want to, but hailing from MN, hot dish and jello are two totally separate food groups!!!

Old 09-22-2008, 03:45 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,336,746 times
Ok, I finally had time to go digging for this, and I've got to share it with you.

A couple of years ago, I gave my spouse the foodie a book called The Gallery of Regrettable Food as a Solstice gift. He has hooted his way through it many times since, reading some of the most delectable bits aloud to the family (always at the dinner table - I think he has some ulterior motive about getting more leftovers for his lunch) and still pauses in his laughter to thank me for giving him the silly thing.

I knew there were plenty of "recipes" in that book that would make fine fodder for this thread, but I didn't know, until today, that there's actually a website about it. I spent a bit of time wandering, and found some that I thought y'all would get a particular kick out of. To wit:

Mmmm, "creamy" hashed potatoes…. LILEKS (James) :: Institute :: Gallery :: BBTrix

Yeah, I'd have to agree that secret ingredient probably makes for a very interestingly flavored gravy… LILEKS (James) Institute :: Gallery :: Seven-Up!

And if you've ever heard the song "Lime Jell-O, Marshmallow, Cottage Cheese Surprise", I'll bet you never thought you'd actually find the recipe. LILEKS (James) Institute :: Gallery :: Seven-Up!

For those who like odd sandwich combinations, here are a couple of additions to the list: LILEKS (James) Gallery of Regrettable Food 3.0 : Potpourri (http://www.lileks.com/institute/gallery/ads/bacon.html - broken link)

Old 09-22-2008, 07:10 PM

424 posts, read 1,676,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
Ok, I finally had time to go digging for this, and I've got to share it with you.

A couple of years ago, I gave my spouse the foodie a book called The Gallery of Regrettable Food as a Solstice gift. He has hooted his way through it many times since, reading some of the most delectable bits aloud to the family (always at the dinner table - I think he has some ulterior motive about getting more leftovers for his lunch) and still pauses in his laughter to thank me for giving him the silly thing.

I knew there were plenty of "recipes" in that book that would make fine fodder for this thread, but I didn't know, until today, that there's actually a website about it. I spent a bit of time wandering, and found some that I thought y'all would get a particular kick out of. To wit:

Mmmm, "creamy" hashed potatoes…. LILEKS (James) :: Institute :: Gallery :: BBTrix

Yeah, I'd have to agree that secret ingredient probably makes for a very interestingly flavored gravy… LILEKS (James) Institute :: Gallery :: Seven-Up!

And if you've ever heard the song "Lime Jell-O, Marshmallow, Cottage Cheese Surprise", I'll bet you never thought you'd actually find the recipe. LILEKS (James) Institute :: Gallery :: Seven-Up!

For those who like odd sandwich combinations, here are a couple of additions to the list: LILEKS (James) Gallery of Regrettable Food 3.0 : Potpourri (http://www.lileks.com/institute/gallery/ads/bacon.html - broken link)
For some reason I think you are doubting the merits of these wonderful creations. They probably are not as bad as they sound. I would probably be tempted to try the hashed potatoes in "cream" and maybe even the Seven Up salad with delicious Seven Up dressing. I think it would be a wonderful theme for a pot luck for everyone to bring regrettable food.

Old 09-23-2008, 05:29 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,202,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Can't ya make white cake icing with nothing but Crisco and powdered sugar? I think I've had that and my arteries are still working. Anyone ever made it?
I use to make that icing to decorate cakes using Crisco, powdered sugar.

1 c. Crisco (do not use substitute)
1-(2 lb bag) powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
3 tsp almond flavor
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 c. or less water (start with 1/4 c. and add 1 Tbsp at a time)
mix at low speed until sugar is moist, then beat at high speed for 5 mins.

When you first decorate cakes you 'eat' your mistakes, after a few times it is so sweet you don't want to eat your mistakes.

It last forever in the fridge. I made all different colors and kept them when I decorated cakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes